Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trap's Euro 2012 Players Ladder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    You should consider a career in stand up comedy with lines like that. Shockingly, and this may be a real bombshell but I don't think after being a regularly featured player in Traps squad throughout the qualifying campaign he's going to ditch him because he didn't have a great night in a meaningless friendly.
    well, trap has left out other regulars recently. mc shane and kilbane (injured but also left out of squads when he was fit) for examples.
    when has hunt last played well for us? he used to contribute something but not anymore

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Green wasn't "back from the dead", he shipped an injury in April 2011 that kept him out until December 2011. He's only now getting his fitness up. He was never actually behind James McCarthy so why would it be assumed he'd fall behind him due to injury when James has done nothing of worth in the meanwhile?
    because he wasn't in the original swuad that james was in. therefore james was picked ahead of him

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    Revised edition after czech match, waste of a chance to experiment a bit more, but sures thats trap

1 (1) Richard Dunne- Czezh goal showed how we miss his organisation
    2 (2) Robbie Keane- Some great touches, should of scored
    3 (3) Damian Duff- Defo starter
    4 (4) Shay Given- Did nothing really
    5 (5) Aidean Mcgeady- lively opening, faded out
    6 (8) Keith Andrews- great goalscoring club form, played more on the front foot against czech
    7 (6) John O'shea- MOTM somehow, i would of given to andrews
    8 (7) Sean St Ledger- in leicester team now, and defo starter for us
    9 (9) Glenn Whelan- will always be in traps team
    10 (10) Kevin Doyle- arguable if he should be considered first choice anymore
    11 (11) Shane Long- didn't do much for his cause last night, fit?
    12 (12) Stephen Ward- looks like he has #3 nailed on, like it or not
    13 (20) Darren O'Dea- back up CB
    14 (16) Jon Walters- looks the ideal target man for our system
    15 (17) Simon Cox- great finish shows hes worth having around
    16 (19) Darron Gibson- his move to everton and first team football should help him cement a place
    17 (15) Stephen Kelly- shoe in if fit
    18 (14) Keith Fahey- back behind darron in pecking order might lose out
    19 (18) Kieron Westwood- 2nd keeper
    20 (13) Stephen Hunt- got a run and did nothing, mccleans emergence a big worry for him
    21 (NA) Paul Green- back from the dead to usurp mccarthy, whats going on?
    22 (22) Kevin Foley- 7th defender spot up for grabs, could it be coleman?
    23 (23) David Forde- 3rd keeper shoe in, showed up at the right time

thats 3 keepers, 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 strikers, so who's left

24 (21) James Mccarthy- green seems to be ahead of him now??????????????
    25 (NA) James Mcclean- bolt outta nowhere, has to go imo
    26 (24) Seamus Coleman- no game time, hard to know where traps see's him fitting in
    27 (NA) Shane Duffy- one for future could be the 7th defender in squad if lucky
    28 (26) Liam Lawrence- last seen approaching glue factory
    29 (27) Leon Best- he'll hardly bring 6 strikers so best hope for leon is an injury to one of the other 5
    30 (30) Ciaran Clark- ships sailed, unlucky he was injured for this game

everyone else - gone from list
    Nice list, Pretty similar to my own weekly one:
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...or-a-place-in-

Which has Paul Green in the 23 aswell.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Wasn't Green was called in after it was accepted that Gibson was out?
    Unless Trap goes down to the crossroad and sells his soul for a decent midfielder, Fahey will continue to be our only player who has technique on the ball in the centre..

Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, Fahey, Duff and McGeady, those 6 are certainties.
    Hunt was part of the qual campaign, he's in 7th place, but (hopefully) not nailed yet.

Lawrence and Keogh are out, Foley is regarded as a right back
    That leaves McCarthy, Green, Coleman and McClean to play musical chairs for one or possibly two seats.

O'Shea will be used at RB, unless both St.Ledger and Dunne are injured.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    Nice list, Pretty similar to my own weekly one:
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...or-a-place-in-

Which has Paul Green in the 23 aswell.
    both our 23's are identical, with the ranking very similiar aswell, have to give it to you on the presentation side though

a man who knows and knows he knows is a wise man, follow him

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Wasn't Green was called in after it was accepted that Gibson was out?
    exactly but mccarthy was in the squad already at that stage so therefore picked ahead of green.

in all likelyhood whichever one goes won't feature much. but for the future of irish football, i would like to see mccarthy at least gain the experience even if not the game time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    My point would be that McCarthy was selected in this squad, not with the Euros in mind but for the next campaign. In the pecking order now/current style of play/maturity - Green is ahead of McCarthy, therefore when Gibson was pulled out, Trap chose to call Green up and use him in a game where our centre midfield was porous and disjointed.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If my team was being played around in midfield and my players couldn't get near the ball, I'd choose Green over McCarthy too. If we had possession but our problem was we weren't making anything of it, I'd bring in McCarthy. Clearly last night we were in the former situation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    My point would be that McCarthy was selected in this squad, not with the Euros in mind but for the next campaign. In the pecking order now/current style of play/maturity - Green is ahead of McCarthy, therefore when Gibson was pulled out, Trap chose to call Green up and use him in a game where our centre midfield was porous and disjointed.
    no offence geysir but your explanation there makes even less sense to me than the decision not to give mccarthy a game

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If my team was being played around in midfield and my players couldn't get near the ball, I'd choose Green over McCarthy too. If we had possession but our problem was we weren't making anything of it, I'd bring in McCarthy. Clearly last night we were in the former situation.
    Still McCarthy for me. It's not like he's a shrieking violet. To play in the premier league you have to be able to do a bit of everything. This season he has won more tackles per game than Whelan (can't see stats for Green or Andrews because they haven't been playing in the PL). Green gives the impression that he is doing something when he occasionally does his McShane Tasmanian Devil impression which is more likely to concede a free than to win the ball back.

Obviously Trap agrees with you though on this point and he probably loves Green 'mentality' too.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Do you think Green played badly when he came on? I thought he plugged the holes Whelan couldn't (granted, he was struggling with an injury) and allowed us to play a little bit more on the front foot. McCarthy has a lot of skill but I don't think he'd be as effective at breaking up the other team's play and actually getting us in possession for a change. He'd be great when we did have the ball, but the problem was that we weren't winning it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Have to say I think the McCarthy/Green debate is a little bit much of a muchness. Green did fairly well when he came on, in fairness, though I'd still prefer to not see him at the Euros. But McCarthy isn't exactly tearing it up or anything and he certainly hasn't shown the superlative talent to shine in the black hole that is our central midfield.

Bit of shame Gibson wasn't about last night, would have liked to see how he'd fit in after a run of Prem games for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    Still McCarthy for me. It's not like he's a shrieking violet
    Maybe that's McCarthy's problem - not making the colourful noise Trap would like to hear.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 01/03/2012 at 9:45 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    maybe mccarthy isn't the man we all hope he is, but i would of just liked to see him get a shot, we already know what green can do.

in fairness to green he's not as bad as all the stick he gets, but he defo isn't good enough to live with modric, xavi and de rossi at the euros. as someone else pointed out it would of been great to get a look at gibbo last night now that he's a first team player at club level.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Do you think Green played badly when he came on? I thought he plugged the holes Whelan couldn't (granted, he was struggling with an injury) and allowed us to play a little bit more on the front foot. McCarthy has a lot of skill but I don't think he'd be as effective at breaking up the other team's play and actually getting us in possession for a change. He'd be great when we did have the ball, but the problem was that we weren't winning it at all.
    Don't think he had much of an impact at all overall. He did ok. The two things that stood out were his good long-distance strike and his blatant foul to prevent a Czech breakaway (guaranteed yellow in a comp. match).

I believe our 'resurgence' was more due to the fact that:
    a)we were losing
    b)their changes severely disrupted them. Considering it wasn't their strongest lineup, I'm guessing that some of their C team might have come on and they weren't great individually or collectively near the end.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.ukGiovanni Trapattoni's Ireland squad for Euro 2012 is virtually decided

]The Republic of Ireland manager confirmed that he intends to take five strikers to Poland and Ukraine, as some of them also offer options in wide areas, while a prominent name-check for the Derby County midfielder Paul Green pointed towards his inclusion, removing, in many people's eyes, the final question mark over the squad's 23rd player.

He left McCarthy as an unused substitute against the Czechs and gave McClean his debut only as a 79th-minute substitute. "I said to James McCarthy during the game to watch what happened during various situations," Trapattoni said. "He is young, also McClean, For this tournament, he's too young. The preference is experience. I hope we don't have injuries ... the great squad is this.
    "When I saw the tremendous reaction from the crowd to McClean coming on, I thought: 'Is Messi or Maradona or Pelé coming on?' I'm only joking ... I know what happens with the people and it's good for him. There is enthusiasm. But McGeady, Duff … they deserve respect. Go slowly, slowly [with the young players]."

Ireland's likely squad for Euro 2012

Goalkeepers: Given, Westwood, Forde
    Defenders: O'Shea, Kelly, Foley, Dunne, St Ledger, O'Dea, Ward
    Midfielders: Duff, Whelan, Andrews, Fahey, Gibson, Green, McGeady, Hunt
    Strikers: Keane, Doyle, Long, Cox, Walters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Green has incriminating pictures of Trap and Manuela in a compromising position. The only logical conclusion.

I think I'd be more disappointed for Coleman to miss out than McCarthy. His injury problems/possible lack of form aside, he has a bit of impact and pace. With Hunt seemingly lost all confidence and turn of speed, that could be vital since all our other midfielders, except McGeady, are very one paced. I'd take Coleman instead of Foley even.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    by that logic mccarthy will never get a game for us. we never have the ball.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I understand a lot of the frustration people have over McCarthy, Coleman, McClean etc. What I don't get is how anyone is suprised. Trapattoni has always remained true to his convictions. Posting irately on here isn't going to change anything.

Looking at the guardians squad there, which seems pretty spot on if you were to predict it, it does read kind of like too many indians and not enough chiefs. In a 23 man squad, I was hoping he'd of given room for one inclusion that doesn't perfectly fit his 'system'. But who am I to argue.

Whatever squad goes, whatever team takes to the pitch, whatever subs get some gametime, my enthusiasm for this Irish team won't diminish. It saddens me to read of other posters who talk of giving up watching Ireland etc. When did following Ireland become about the quality of football ? Debates will go on about who should go and shouldn't go, that's a great thing about football. I just wish June would get here already so we all just get behind them.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Whatever squad goes, whatever team takes to the pitch, whatever subs get some gametime, my enthusiasm for this Irish team won't diminish. It saddens me to read of other posters who talk of giving up watching Ireland etc. When did following Ireland become about the quality of football ? Debates will go on about who should go and shouldn't go, that's a great thing about football. I just wish June would get here already so we all just get behind them.
    Nicely put. Certainly issues in the squad and with Trap's running but is thus and ever shall be. Our home friendlies under him have been getting increasingly poor but I'm treating Wednesday with a bit of shrug tbh. Our home friendlies under Trap have been generally pretty poor for quite a while.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    How have our competitive outings been after poor home friendlies? I'm clinging to hope that there's a positive trend because that's about all I could take from last night!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast