Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kids Soccer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You need to get the parents to help with the supervision.

The NDSL play 7 aside for u7 u8 u9 u10 and then switch to 11 aside from u11.
    The DDSL play 7 aside for u7 u8 u9 and then switch to 9 aside and under 10 and then 11 aside from u11.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Underage Soccer

It has to be agreed that underage football in Ireland is too competitive. I have attended many underage soccer matches over the years and there has being a pretty strong emphasis on winning instead of development, some games can be pretty parochial. There is an emphasis to "not mess with the ball and get rid of it" which makes kids considerably less technically sophisticated, while they are encouraged to use brawn and physique in their games. It is a well known fact that rural clubs prefer to boot the ball down the pitch rather than kids working on their technique, and it is a style that has a vague resemblance to Gaelic football. Movement off the ball is not particularly fluent as the system that the players play under does not allow for it. There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR COMPETITIVE FOOTBALL UP TO UNDER 14S. Another angle that needs to be changed is the Community Games. The movement have been excellent to kids across Ireland but they need to do away with the under 12 football. Kids should not be under any pressure to be winning All Ireland soccer medals at that age group. Under 16s or under 17s should be the competitive age in that competition. This would mean the scrapping of the Norton and Troy Cup competitions and the Kennedy Cup should be moved to under 15s, irrespective of English attitudes. It is high time for everyone involved in underage football to ask themselves what are they in it for? The answer would be to assist in the coaching and development of a footballer to realise his full potential through encouragement and understanding and to ensure that all children wanting to play football is given a chance. No kid should be discarded because of ability, the kids could be encouraged to learn a bit on refereeing, simple coaching tips and to set up their own (supervised) committees, so they can learn some basics on club administration. Football is a very inclusive game and each club should be willing to assist all kids in their endeavours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thumbs up

Have to commend the lads at our club in Waterford. The schoolboys setup was reintroduced into the club last year and while the results might not have been pretty from a neutral standpoint, their managers had them playing some wonderful football and the spirit they have instilled in them has been wonderful to watch. Everyone thats turned out has had their chance regardless of their pedigree.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    There is plenty of under-age football in Roscommon. I don't know which part of the county you will be based but in the south Ros area. some clubs play in the Athlone under-age leagues (ADSL).
    Contact John Sherlock at (043) 47492 and he will give you all the details on who is currently organising the under-age set-up. Martin Conboy at (0903) 62790 also works his socks off organising under-age footie in the county. He will give you the number of Noel Dervan who arranges the schools side of things. All three blokes are the soundest fellas you'll ever meet and, judging by your comments earlier, you will be a fantastic addition to whatever club or school you get involved with and will receive as warm a welcome as I got from the likes of Martin Robins (Inishowen) when I did some schools work up there a few years ago. Tell them Noel Gannon was in touch with you.
    If you are in the Boyle area, the local Celtic club play in the Sligo-Leitrim League - maybe the Merville chap will have contacts for you there. Good luck and keep in touch if you have any hassles.
    Sorry everyone, Derek, Thunderblaster and blob for cutting across youse here to say thanks Noel for that vital information and your nice comments. I'm particularly impressed by the enthusiasm on this particular thread. Its great to feel your input is appreciated and thats one of the reason's I love been involved at underage level. Your help there Noel makes a big difference on my decision which I have to say is a particularly difficult one currently.

Just to say I attended last night the FAI Kick Start One coaching course run by the County Donegal FAI Coaching facilitator and ex Harps man Steve McNutt. It was a four hour coaching course with half theory and half practice. A good course and while it was a tight four hours I'm looking forward to next week and further courses. Its with this that I think the FAI is making great strides at long last at underage development level.

Thanks Noel.

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MervilleUnited
    Basically, in my case, where I have around 30 at Under 8, and the same at under 10, i am bamboozled
    The problem is supervision. to bring 3 teams out to a blitz is too many, most have 2 as a limit per club. So how do I leave the rest at home? I have come to the conclusion that my original idea, due to start in a fortnight, is to hold local street leagues every week, and then, somehow, without rejection, pick an top 10 at each group and switch them away to another session. And then keep the rest at the local fun level, with week to week incentives (Bribes!) to keep them entertained. They may develop, and be promoted to the Acadamy, but only on a year by year basis.

Any other suggestions!!?? By the way, UEFA say 5 a side Under 8s, 7 a side under 10s.
    I take your point on this and have to say I'm in the same predicament. I remember at the last blitz competition for the South Donegal Schoolboys League in Killybegs missing much of a game for having to console two or three players in the dressing room who ended up in tears because they weren't getting a chance. One was very gifted but lazy and whinging and he was letting everyone else down. A few encouraging and supportive words fixed that. The second was more tricky in that the wee caddie who had played all year with the U-10's because of his mates was only 8 and I couldn't give him as much football as he wanted.

What I have done and has paid dividends is turned my underage setup into a family like situation where everybody is supported and encouraged and everybody is in with a chance to play. I was told by the Schoolboy's league I couldn't organise friendlies in the middle of blitz competition. My thinking heree was so my other sides would get the opportunity to have had taken part on the day. I have young fella's who went away to a local club only to return feeling much closer to our club and much better valued, encouraged and supported. This is the guage of success in my eyes. I have the headache next weekend of having to pick a group of nine young fella's for competition.I have easily nine other really good kids who deserve the chance but are going to feel left out. No amount of support and encouraging can change that.

So what do I do. Its not an easy one?

Brendan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    It has to be agreed that underage football in Ireland is too competitive. I have attended many underage soccer matches over the years and there has being a pretty strong emphasis on winning instead of development, some games can be pretty parochial. .
    Thunder I dont necessarily agree with this. There are a couple of things in this. I don't advocate competitiveness at an early age but rather ensure the kids enjoy themselves and are happy to be involved. However I found the kids themselves wanted competition. For the first up to 10 weeks of this 'season' I took the kids on Monday Night, Wednesday Night and Saturday morning until they got restless and starting asking about games. All I could do was facilitate their needs. There has to be a balance in training and this must end with a game of football as it always did. They tired of playing each other week in week out. I got this from young wains who when it actually came to competition actually got cold feet and failed to perform. It was what they looked for.

There is an emphasis to "not mess with the ball and get rid of it" which makes kids considerably less technically sophisticated, while they are encouraged to use brawn and physique in their games. It is a well known fact that rural clubs prefer to boot the ball down the pitch rather than kids working on their technique, and it is a style that has a vague resemblance to Gaelic football. Movement off the ball is not particularly fluent as the system that the players play under does not allow for it. .
    I think in relation to this the attitude is changing. I know exactly where you are coming from and even have to listen to one of our team managers shouting this. I'll never forget a gem of his 'hoof it into the bushes, they'll not find it there' in reference to playing down the clock. I suppose this comes down to individual coaches and I certainly wouldn't advocate this. It might work once as a play progression but it'll fail on double or treble occasion's. Passing at this age level is critical. I even find our senior side still having to practice passing at before games. Its critical from an early age and worked well it keeps a team in pocession. I think you will see in future much more technically gifted players coming through the ranks. Coaching courses as I saw last night are changing for the better.

It is high time for everyone involved in underage football to ask themselves what are they in it for? The answer would be to assist in the coaching and development of a footballer to realise his full potential through encouragement and understanding and to ensure that all children wanting to play football is given a chance. No kid should be discarded because of ability, the kids could be encouraged to learn a bit on refereeing, simple coaching tips and to set up their own (supervised) committees, so they can learn some basics on club administration. Football is a very inclusive game and each club should be willing to assist all kids in their endeavours.
    Its here I agree most strongly with you. I've mentioned already how kids themselves demand competition. I mentioned in an earlier thread in relation to underage football what my actual role was in relation to this. Its basicand simple. Its to facilitate every young person who would like an opportunity to play. There are kids out there who want to play but for different reasons, family, geographical location. i.e proximity to a club for example, confidence etc but are not getting that chance. I aim to reach out to every wain who would like to kick a ball. As long as they are enjoying it and getting what they want from it. We are there to help them to develop, to encourage them and to support them. If they decide they no longer want to play they know they can come and talk to us. If they are approached etc, we are there for them.

As Merville would say, this is all about the kids.

Brendan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12