Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is booing a poor performance justified?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Is booing a poor performance justified?

There was a resounding chorus of boos at the end of the game tonight, but was it justified? Indeed, the performance was well below par and Trap's tactics are incredibly dull, bordering on hopeless now bar a miracle in Moscow or results going our way, but I still don't think it's right to boo our players. Whatever about Trap's tactical decisions with the squad he has available to him, it's not like anyone is going out to try and throw the game. For me, it's something straight out of British tabloid culture and it was as depressing to hear as tonight's performance was to see. I don't see what purpose it serves. It registers discontent, sure, but is that constructive in any way? Maybe it is, I dunno - booers, take the stand - but I just think it's sad when I hear our own fans booing our own team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    In short. I was surrounded tonight by a crescendo of boos which I.could not really understand the justification to be honest.
    It was not the best performance. But not the worst.
    I'm glad we are now a nation disappointed at a nil-all. But nothing justified what those players got tonight. And those there tonight should know better.
    The Anglification of our society sickens me anyway... see the chorus if Tim Lovejoy "TAXIS" you hear at LOI games or in pubs.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I didn't boo because I support the players and want them to go to Russia feeling that the country is behind them. They know they didn't perform to their best tonight.

I'd much rather boo the irritating people next to me that constantly got up to get snacks and drinks (must have been 3 or 4 times each half) and spent the rest of the game doing Jedward impressions. They booed the players at the end of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    A true supporter/follower never boos their team, you sing for them, you cheer for them, you chant for them. They are your team, you have to give them the best encouragement as a fan to inspire them. A real fan of the game does not boo his side.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    At the end of the day the players are there to entertain the folks who paid money to watch that, be it through the result or performance. What'll hurt the players more is for a crunch qualifier they couldn't get a capacity crowd while meaningless rugby warm ups a couple of weeks ago could.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    A true supporter/follower never boos their team, you sing for them, you cheer for them, you chant for them. They are your team, you have to give them the best encouragement as a fan to inspire them. A real fan of the game does not boo his side.
    If displeasure was never voiced we'd still be managed by Stan.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    At the end of the day the players are there to entertain the folks who paid money to watch that, be it through the result or performance. What'll hurt the players more is for a crunch qualifier they couldn't get a capacity crowd while meaningless rugby warm ups a couple of weeks ago could.
    Yea that is shocking. Especially as Ireland have already played those teams about 17 times in the last year anyway and probably will do so again at the "World" Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Me personally do not care who the manager is, its the players that we fans can help to make a difference, thats why we turn up and sing our hearts out, its not winning, drawing or losing but for the pride that you have for your country. We all know whoever is the manager of Ireland will never win a tournament, so it makes no difference to me, all I want to do is show my pride for my country and help to encourage the players to give their best, if we win/draw/lose games with the players being motivated by all us fans, then we can all be happy that we all did our best. If one goes to a match, only small numbers seem to show the passion, the majority of the crowd sit back, wait for something to happen and moan when things do not go right, why go to match to be stressed out by every single pass, corner, throw, shot etc, free yourself and support your team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Well being a supporter isn't all singing and cheering. Losing and not qualifying for major tournaments hurts, disappoints and frustrates fans. Being as upset in a failure as the players is part of the passion of being a fan. The booing in question today wasn't booing players off the pitch, it was a brief booing at the final whistle to indicate they weren't satisfied with the match outcome, thats all.

Is it disheartening for players? It shouldn't be being the professionals and men they are, it should spur them on to get a result on tuesday that'll put a smile back on the faces of fans that they let down tonight.

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Hmm, I dunno, I don't respect or appreciate this idea that if you don't show 100%, unquestioning, never-bending support for the team, you're not a true supporter. An easy way to dismiss criticism & it's a bit of a cheap-shot aimed at those of us who might waiver in their following for the national side against this tide of banal results. People such as myself who see this type of football as being very much against the notions and philosophies that Ireland always played with. Sure we're no world beaters, but we used to play with passion and honesty. Where was either tonight?

By anyone's estimation that was an anaemic performance; yes perhaps these results will eventually get us to the finals & thus Trap gets vindication. But what if they don't? These tactics have already failed in one qualifying tournament (no matter how close we came to getting on the plane to South Africa).

I don't condone people booing the players - they're as much victims here as anyone else - it can feel like you're kicking a best friend while he's down on the ground; but lordy - what else can we do as supporters if we're a bit po'ed with what we just witnessed? Sure we can stop handing over the (frankly) scandalous fees for tickets, but that's about it - there's simply the expectation that the Aviva will keep getting supporters, no matter what cr*p is served up. Not showing up? Big deal, that's not much of a frontline reaction, and would just prove what a passive race we are.

We may not have the world-class players anymore, but people like Kevin Kilbane prove that you don't always need the raw technical skills to play above and beyond your limitations. Heck our neighbours north of the border prove this consistently. Trappatoni often gives the impression that he doesn't see this passion, and tries to compensate for our lack of skill with nullifying football, rather than encourage & push us beyond our own limits. It's a shame because the end result is fairly turgid football, no matter how many tournaments we might qualify for.
    Last edited by amaccann; 03/09/2011 at 12:56 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    10 years ago, I used to think there was a difference between Irish supporters and English supporters.... we didn't boo our teams, we didn't make life hell for players who might have missed a penalty in a shoot-off (e.g. against Spain in 02), and we didn't tear foreign cities asunder and make the locals quake in their boots. Sad that we've now gone one step in the wrong direction.

The atmosphere at the Aviva was terrible tonight, and fair play to the Slovaks for making most of the noise. The Irish 'fans' around me seemed more interested in going for a hot dog 30 or 55 minutes into the game (why?), or shouting 'offside' from throw-ins or standing up to leave after 91 minutes when there was still a chance of a late winner.

So Whelan and Andrews are not Xavi and Iniesta, so what, at least they are Irish and bust a gut every time for us. Let's get behind the team. 0-0 against a slick Central European side who were at the last World Cup and play decent football when given a chance. Glass half full, methinks.

We're still in it. We are now ahead of Slovakia on direct comparison given the away goal in Zilina - yes, it works like a European tie with away goals, 1-1 away 0-0 at home means you win - so we just need to match their next result against Russia to come second (even if we lose v Russia and they lose v Russia). We are also creeping up the table of best 2nd placers (scroll down to the end of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_qualifying and Norway and Sweden will likely drop points in their next few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Booing your own players is imbecilic imo. Never justified. And I say that as something who was very dissatisfied with tonight's performance.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The boos aren't for lack of effort, it's because we know they're capable of so much better than they delivered. I'm sure the players know that better than anyone though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    "Fans" will boo their own team, supporters will at least applaud them politely. This sky league crap has shown how we do more than just ape the motherland. I was ashamed with the "fans" last night as they reminded me of the morons I deal with or witness on a weekly basis here. I don't buy this - we're playing bad so boo them nonsense. "Fans" believe they have a right to be entertained or "get their moneys worth", fcuk off to the cinema and try it, nice and comfy seats, popcorn and treats. Leave sports and sports supporters alone.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Well, they're more there to try and win games than anything - if people want pure entertainment, they can watch freestyle football videos on YouTube - but I agree in so far as I was hoping three points could have stolen some of the limelight back from the Irish public's current infatuation with rugby. Even if the rugby side come home "early" from New Zealand later this month, it doesn't appear football will be a beneficiary of any spare public goodwill up for grabs any time soon now unless we can storm to a miraculous victory in Moscow and top this group.

If displeasure was never voiced we might never have had to hire Stan in the first place.

I don't know though. Stan's results were unacceptable. Surely the FAI didn't need fans booing performances to indicate that to them?

If one goes to a match, only small numbers seem to show the passion, the majority of the crowd sit back, wait for something to happen and moan when things do not go right, why go to match to be stressed out by every single pass, corner, throw, shot etc, free yourself and support your team.
    Ronnie Whelan was saying something about the players having to give the fans something to shout about, but, to be honest, if you're at a football game and you need a cue to get yourself involved, you're at the wrong event.

Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Hmm, I dunno, I don't respect or appreciate this idea that if you don't show 100%, unquestioning, never-bending support for the team, you're not a true supporter. An easy way to dismiss criticism & it's a bit of a cheap-shot aimed at those of us who might waiver in their following for the national side against this tide of banal results. People such as myself who see this type of football as being very much against the notions and philosophies that Ireland always played with. Sure we're no world beaters, but we used to play with passion and honesty. Where was either tonight?
    Don't necessarily confuse my disapproval of booing for an advocation of blind support or cultural passivity. I'm fully prepared to acknowledge we were diabolical; I'm just not convinced that booing the players is the most appropriate or constructive response to that. What is, I'm not sure, but the players know well themselves they performed poorly. As do the FAI. They lose out too from failure to qualify. Does getting on the players' backs help pressure them into better performances? I dunno really. The natural human response to that from anyone would be one of resentment and feelings of under-appreciation rather than motivation surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    No. It's not acceptable. It is only acceptable if the team don't care and don't make an effort.
    Regardless of our poor performance ya can't say the lads didn't try.
    We didn't play well but we are far from out of this group.
    We can't play brilliant in every game and God knows under Charlton we had a couple of stinkers (Spain in Lansdowne '93) but we didn't boo our team. This is a new phenomenon that has only come into Irish soccer games, as far as I can see, since the World Cup 2002.
    People who booed last night are morons and I'd be surprised if many of them would be the same lads that save their money and go abroad and cheer the lads on in places like Moscow and Tblisi.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes, totally.
    When they were largely sh*te, they need to be told in no uncertain terms...
    It's not as if they're not praised if they do well.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    A true supporter/follower never boos their team.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Booing your own players is imbecilic imo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    People who booed last night are morons.
    I think all of this is very harsh.

People express frustration in different ways. For me, it's an inward smouldering rage that leaves me unwilling to talk to anybody, but for others, after a performance (by no means the first) in which the team showed almost a complete absence of creativity and cohesion, the desire to send a message to those players (and in my opinion, more importantly, to the manager) is overwhelming.

I see nothing wrong with the booing - I look at it as an expression of frustration and disappointment in an abject performance in a crucial qualifier. Is it constructive - no, but that doesn't make it wrong.
    Last edited by osarusan; 03/09/2011 at 9:12 AM.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I personally probably wouldn't have but I reserve the right to and defend the right of anyone else to boo if it lets them get frustration off their chest and let the managment know there's frustration out there.

If that makes me one of the loathed "I paid good money for this" brigade fine.

Some naive ones maybe do but I don't think all those people just turn up and expect us to win playing champagne football -but they do have a reasonable expectation we'll compete.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I don't like the booing one bit. In fairness I thought it was only for a few seconds followed by applause in sending them off the pitch.

What was the attendance last night?? Around 35k? With more capacity you are always going to get a few day trippers who are taking a break from their real love, the EPL.

As for people getting up and down for food during the game, head wreck. Whatever about just before ht but numerous times during the game. There was me a nervous wreck and these ppl popping in and out for burgers.

26. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast