Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 6th September 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Russia v Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 6th September 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

As desperately disappointed as I am tonight (been here before 0-0 home draw v Scotland under Jack. Stapleton missed last minute sitter. Seemed like same old same old.). I can see us winning on Tuesday. You will see a fitter McGeady and Doyle. Hopefully a fully fit Long. And much as it is hard to believe on the evidence of tonight I genuinely believe ourselves and Slovakia are the best two teams in the group. I watched the Russians again yesterday and for me they lack a spine. Yet if they had of played us yesterday they would have won 3 or 4 nil this time. But we will be a completely different propostition on Tuesday. I'm sure of that. All we need to do is take our chances this time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I have always felt that we are a better away team than home team. We are simply awful at home, while away we play to our strengths and we look a very decent and professional outfit.

I think we could frustrate the life out of Russia and we could nick a goal near the end. Doyler was terrible tonight and his lack of sharpness meant that our limitations in the centre of midfield were even more glaring. If he is his usual self, then we will be much more dangerous. Having Long around the place could be massive towards the end of the game.

I like Keith Andrews as a man. He has always given 100% for the shirt and seems like a good lad. However, he simply has to be replaced by James McCarthy. McCarthy is the future of the Irish midfield and even though he hasn't started the season well, he is an outstanding young player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Tuesday is a massive, massive game now. It's like a cup final. Win it and we can start packing our bags for Polkraine. I can only hope we give it a real go because I think it's too risky to settle for a draw and hope other results work in our favour. In that sense, I think we should approach it as if we have nothing to lose. Looking at it from this perspective actually gives me a certain degree of optimism and I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge. We should have a much better idea whether or not we'll be there next summer by Tuesday evening.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll be sliced up in the middle of the park. Even Slovakia were passing right through our central midfield tonight, I think we'll get hammered on Tuesday. Four nil Russia.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Backs to the wall, underdogs, away from home, hostile ground? Has a big Irish performance written all over it.

Of course like every other game against anyone anyways decent we'll draw.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Put it this way. Russia are sh!te. They have a few decent players but a few very good players, however those very good players won't get picked because a) they don't play abroad or for 1 of 2 clubs in Russia, b) they are not managed by 1 of 3 agencies, c) the coach makes sure he keeps his job by picking who he's told.

Ireland had the beating of Russia last year and this. Not winning will be a failure.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The last time we lost a competitive match away from home was the night Stephen Hunt got sent off and the Czechs beat us 1-0. Almost exactly four years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I hope I'm wrong but I think we'll be sliced up in the middle of the park. Even Slovakia were passing right through our central midfield tonight, I think we'll get hammered on Tuesday. Four nil Russia.
    Sadly I'm inclined to agree. Can't see where all the optimism elsewhere comes from -though I acknowledge there's no point in being defeatist.
    I'm afraid I think Russia are going to hand us back our asses.
    The two goals we got against them in Dublin merely muddied the waters and flattered to decieve. They spanked us and based on available evidence they'll spank us again.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Not looking good for us. Again we have only taken 2 points from a possible 9 against our two main rivals in the group and if we draw on Tuesday (which I expect) it will only be 3 points from a possible 12.
    You simply can't win a group with those stats.
    I'm still not giving up hope though and perhaps they will surprise us all and get a win on Tuesday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd say a point in Russia puts us favourites to finish 2nd in the group - assuming we win the 2 other games.
    Russia would still have to at least draw with Slovakia in the last game, to ensure top spot. And the Slovaks will also have it very tough to win in Macedonia.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Macedonia are already out of the running, so not sure how motivated they'll be. Well, they were very motivated back in 1999, but that's because they were helping their Balkan brothers qualify ahead of us.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Macedonia were well motivated in Moscow, they have a new manager and will want to take some scalp in their campaign.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Are Russian women really so sweet and pretty?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    1-0 Ireland. Simon Cox to score off the bench.

I refuse to give up hope.

16. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    SSN reporting Long is out of Russia game. No word on replacements.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    If we're to get anything out of this game, the midfield has to be better. If they walk through the midfield the way Slovakia often did last night, we're in trouble.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The 2 of them need a double sized cocktail of Giles' moral courage.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I believe we are going to have to score early on Tuesday to win the game. By early I mean in the first 25 mins. Doyle, Keane or whoever will have to take that first real chance we get. Macedonia had their chances yesterday and never took them. Wales played Russia off the park (in Russia) a few years back for about 70 mins but again never put away their chances. Slovakia took their one chance and held out for the win. For me last night Doyle was the biggest disappointment. The player himself said today he is fully fit and I believe him. He was excellent against Fulham for Wolves. Looked fine against Aston Villa. Sure to play much better against Russia and could well be our match winner. I'm predicting 2-1. We score first. They equalise then we get a second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    We need favours from other nations in the group if we don't win on Tuesday by the looks of things.....christ.

EDIT
    If we all end up on 21 does it go on GD? That's ok then
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 03/09/2011 at 4:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    NG we never take our chances when it really matters. Somebody fluffs their lines & it's normally in injury time!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast