Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "And It's Come through here....McATEER"...George Hamilton (01/Sept/2001)..10 years on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Roy Keane set the tone early with a few clattering challenges.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Few interesting comments around about it also being the anniversary of England's 5-1 win over Germany in Germany, but perhaps the most telling is from Didi Hamann:
    "I'm surprised the anniversary is a big thing because it was only a qualifier."
    While the same accusation could be leveled against the Holland game, the England win meant Germany would go on to a play off where they beat the Ukraine over two legs 1-1 and 4-1, whereas the Dutch losing put them out of the World Cup completely
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    http://foot.ie/threads/902-Ireland-v...nd-predictions foot.ie thread on the game at the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I was living in Sheffield at the time doing my PhD and didn't have any Irish friends interested in the game; just English guys looking forward to the German game later that night. I had a bad exerience a few months before looking around the city for somewhere to look at the Ireland-Portugal game i.e. loud Yorkshire phuckers annoying me when I was trying to concentrate on the game. So I decided I would just listen to this one on the radio.
    I remeber the supermarket around the corner had a special offer on a 6 pack of Löwenbrau beer and my plan was to drink 2 or 3 during the game and go out later. But my God listening to the game on the radio is even more nerve wrecking than on TV and by half time I had already drunk 4 cans and bitten all my fingernails off. By the end of the game all 6 cans were gone and I went out on the town to celebrate. I can't remember much after that only that all the locals were in a good mood because of their win over Germany although that was a few hours later.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 01/09/2011 at 11:00 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    http://foot.ie/threads/902-Ireland-v...nd-predictions foot.ie thread on the game at the time
    It's easy to laugh at people with the benefit of hindsight but there's some gas posts on there!

Also, the atmosphere at Landsdowne is c**p! Full of ole ole & bar stool "fans"! I'd guess a lot of the people on saturday have probably never stood on a terrace!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Scarily prescient....

And if somebody finds a job in California and decides to move there, then fair play to them!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The beginnings of Robbie skepticism

29/08/2001
    "Robbie Keane 'n stuff
    IMO he became an international too early in his career. Now that hes got a few years older & got a bit heavier hes slower on his feet & really hasn't learned anything since first making the breakthrough."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Keane was having a hard time of it at that stage... 2000/2001 was his longest spell without a goal for Ireland (8 games I think, the last of which was the Holland game). Only ended up with two in the whole campaign. Still popped up with the crucial goal against Iran, though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    IMO he became an international too early in his career. Now that hes got a few years older & got a bit heavier hes slower on his feet & really hasn't learned anything since first making the breakthrough.

If its a decision between Duff & Robbie Keane then Duff has to get the nod. Duff may not be an out 'n out striker but he will get us lots of freekicks which are probably the only way we can hope to score too.

Also, the atmosphere at Landsdowne is c**p! Full of ole ole & bar stool "fans"! I'd guess a lot of the people on saturday have probably never stood on a terrace!
    Is Pete Brnie3 in disguise?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    I was living in Sheffield at the time doing my PhD and didn't have any Irish friends interested in the game; just English guys looking forward to the German game later that night. I had a bad exerience a few months before looking around the city for somewhere to look at the Ireland-Portugal game i.e. loud Yorkshire phuckers annoying me when I was trying to concentrate on the game.
    Its a f*cking awful city to try to watch an Ireland game in, not helped by the fact that I lived there during the Staunton era

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Watched it in Dublin, straight from working the morning in town to Brogans on Dame St, spent the entire day there celebrating, even managed to sneak a pizza in from Apache later!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Any way to get a video of this match?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12