Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: will shamrock rovers go onto dominate the league for the forseable future?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    The money coming in isn't going to be that much, maybe two or three million, at best.

They should pay off their outstanding debt, then reinvest in the squad.
    Rovers have no outstanding debt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    In terms of mopping up the best players available to domestic teams - didn't Rovers do that prior to this season?

They've a good platform, no more. It does mean they'll be the Irish force for a few years to come but remains to be seen how dominant they'll actually be.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    they shouldnt become obsessed now with qualifying for champions league with spending on average loi players, if it happens it happens, their goal should be to make the last round of champions league qualifers and hope to get into europa group stages regularly.
    Seems one of us has to continually reassure people that we'll never overspend on players. Getting tiresome at this stage.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Seems one of us has to continually reassure people that we'll never overspend on players. Getting tiresome at this stage.
    I truly hope you don't, but you can excuse people's cynicism when every successful domestic club in the last couple of decades overspent while their fans claimed they'd 'never overspend'.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I truly hope you don't, but you can excuse people's cynicism when every successful domestic club in the last couple of decades overspent while their fans claimed they'd 'never overspend'.
    Fortunately our board and my fellow members are not idiots.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    We might have an advantage over the next few years but no team dominates forever. We may not win the league this year even. To put the money we will receive in perspective, it's not as much as Bohs, Cork, Pats, Drogs and Shels spent on wages during the boom of the last 10 years. Each of those teams spent millions on players and didn't dominate for years on end.
    in relative terms its far more than other teams spent.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers have been astute to date in relation to siging players within defined pay structures - witness their stance in relation to Gary O'Neill and Ken Oman when Sporting Fingal were competing for these players last close season. There is no reason to believe that they will be foolish now. They don't need to be as they are (already were) in a position to sign almost any player within Ireland that they are interested in.

Ignoring ambitions in Europe for a moment, the relative financial weakness of the competitor clubs in this league means that the gap is likely to widen as much because of these weaknesses as Rovers additional strengths.

While Derry are in probably in reasonable shape with the McClean funds and emerging local talent, Sligo Rovers, St Pats and Dundalk are well stretched financially while Bohemians difficulties are well documented. While Cork might have potential, the overall picture for a sustained challenge from any particular club is not very bright.

Shamrock Rovers are likely to dominate the league over the next say 5 years - but that was the case anyway before this European windfall

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    If Rovers were gonna overspend they'd have done it a couple of years ago.

Rovers will dominate the league in years to come, not because of a million euro windfall or Europa Leaue qualification, but because we have twice as many fans as the next biggest club, which is a pretty big deal in a league where TV money is non-existent. And by dominate I mean we'll win it more often than other teams, not that we'll do a Rosenberg/Copenhagen and hoover up everything every year.

The money will probably mean a small increase in the playing budget for next year but as things stand there's no reason for Rovers to start driving up a massive wage bill. The club can afford to offer the highest wages in the league but that would have been the case regardless following Fingal's demise. Unless we start bringing in quality players from abroad, there's no need to expand the wage bill because we're the only gig in town.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The problem here is at the end of the season any of their quality players will be snapped up by English teams after seeing them in European action. They need to have some way of keeping hold of their quality players, spending their money wisely and not getting too egotistic. Then they will dominate.
    But on the other hand, Rovers now might have the financial clout to offer their players several year contracts, meaning that if English clubs want them, they have to pay a fair transfer fee, not just wait six weeks and get the player for free.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    not held to ransom like the farce we saw at pats a few weeks ago, and in a relatively short space of time.
    I've been out of the loop so may have missed agreements/ contract extensions, but surely the Rovers players have the club over more of a barrel than the Pats players could possibly have hoped for...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I've been out of the loop so may have missed agreements/ contract extensions, but surely the Rovers players have the club over more of a barrel than the Pats players could possibly have hoped for...
    Not necessarily. Rovers have the luxury that they're getting big money from uefa no matter how good/bad they do in the group stages. When does the squad have to be submitted for the group stages? Surely if the players are acting the bagogee's, then Rovers can just submit a squad of underage players, get the Uefa money and then recruit afresh next season?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    One of the benefits of Rovers showing they have what it takes to qualify for Group Stages is that it makes them more attractive to promising young Irish players, who might previously been felt compelled from a career point of view to sign for Rochdale, or some equally dreary club cross channel.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    They will dominate moreso I'd imagine but that had to happen for the league to move forward. If they have relative success co-eff wise, it'll help the league's other big teams qualify for Europe, levelling the playing field. Is this necessarily going to happen? No. But considering the performances in Europe in recent years, it's not ridiculous to think that a different team will qualify in the next few seasons. Pat's and Sligo came relatively close without having topped the league.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and in particular what role the PFAI plays.

At first glance the players look to have a very strong hand if most of them are out of contract at the end of Ocotber and they negotiate as a group.

The downside for them is significant. If they make unreasonable demands and Rovers make a stand, what happens is that they have talked themselves out of contracts for next season and would ultimately end up with lower contracts elsewhere.

The starting point for Rovers is likely to be individual rather then collective negotiations.The PFAI have badly damaged their credibility because of the Pats debacle and Rovers have no obligation to engage with them at all.

Interesting times ahead depending on Mr McGuinness's ego!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    As Eziekiel said, Rovers would have been in the position anyway to sign the better players if they had not made the group stages, but remember only a certain level of player will be attracted to LOI, there are 4 of 5 better divisions these players can pick in England alone. They will be a great position thats for sure, but I think they would probably be better served building a training centre and paying off all debt, but as someone said above, they are not even certain to win the lge this year.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    What's the story with Rovers Sponsorship with Woodies? Do they stand to gain anything extra? Is it a fixed contract or a year on year arrangement? Surely they're due to cash in in that regard?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Most sponsorship deals layout targets, international qualification was surely in the contract?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Maybe pay off the debts owed to people before the club decided to get relegated instead so.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Maybe pay off the debts owed to people before the club decided to get relegated instead so.
    Ah. c'mon, Sligoman - time to move on. Whatever happened in the past the present Shams is a credit to the league and a template for other clubs.

22. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    I thought the last Rovers accounts showed a different scenario, but I aint trawling back to confirm.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast