Thread: No Disco - (Help)

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    CTP look what ya started!
    Might just be getting started too !! With any luck. Does your contact have any playlists for the show? Or know if they are available anywhere? They must exist somewhere, I bet there would be some real treasure in those, hours of nostalgic rediscovery. Some really great Irish music around that time also, and music generally, we were fortunate that way, would be nice to dig some of it up again.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 21/08/2011 at 1:51 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    When chasing that video I also found this, it speaks to the Decal lads after about a minute or so, one of them was also in the band In Motion, remember them?

Mexican Pets featured at the end there - bit of a forgotten classic this one

By coincidence there was word yesterday that Dineen's Today FM slot is soon to be no more (not sure I ever properly listened to it myself).

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I used to listen to it when it was after Pet Sounds but now its on way too late. Dave Couse is my show of choice on Today FM now.

CTP, I was thinking that myself. But didn't want to broach such a request so soon. I definitely think there's a database there alright.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Might just be getting started to !! With any luck. Does your contact have any playlists for the show? Or know if they are available anywhere? They must exist somewhere, I bet there would be some real treasure in those, hours of nostalgic rediscovery. Some really great Irish music around that time also, and music generally, we were fortunate that way, would be nice to dig some of it up again.
    Seconded! I used to stay up with the video recorder at the ready - always had strange and cool music on, what a show
    (By the way - their is a show on TG4 that aint half bad either)

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Bit of Revelino anyone ?

Happiness Is Mine

Dont Lead Me Down

Please God, there will be playlists.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 21/08/2011 at 4:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I can directly attribute my demise in school to my awareness of No Disco (was it not Tuesday night's lads?). I'd haul the Portable TV upstairs and watch it with the headphones plugged in. Great times!
    She had a great radio show on 2fm also. That was Thurs and Fri nights for sure. I remember waking up for school the morning after the night she passed and having a little cry (I wouldn't be a soft lad either). Teachers went easy on me in school that day also as a few of us were into No Disco in a big way.
    I would have been a teensy bit heroworshiping of the Roses, but I remember seeing an interview she did with Ian Brown over in Galway at a Green energy gig (or a Witness forerunner) and seeing the contempt and attitude he showed for one of the most genuine people you could come across was pretty sobering, when it was totally unmerited. I distinctly remember he was eating a shiny Granny Smith.

Loads of deadly songs, and they weren't shy about playing some atrocious music and ripping the crap outta it either.
    Some highlights:
    Handsome Boy Modelling school
    Calexico
    Folk Implosion
    Doves (As mentioned previously)
    DJ Shadow
    Laurent Garnier

There was one song as well, kinda hip-hoppy song which I loved, but cannot for the life of me find or remember the title of. I know either "the decepticons" or "the incepticons" was the key line in the lyrics and the video was a kind of space invaders feel to it.

There is a facebook page dedicated to the show, spent plenty of days listening to tunes on that,.

Was I the only one who thought she was a babe? I loved the blue little highlights she'd have. Ok so maybe the hero-worshipping didn't stop!
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Have been told it's Fatboy Slim, Santa Cruz.

It boasts both electronically and guitars and is very familiar to me now that I've listened to it.
    That is an exceptional piece of music. It must have been before I started listening to the show, as I found that on a Skint records best of, called Brassic Beats. Some tune.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Ah, No Disco. There's a blast from the past. I used to watch it religiously. That and some weird, late night weekend show with Sean Moncrieff and Barry Murphy. ('Fragmentary Annals of Ireland' anyone?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_%28television%29

11. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I would have been a teensy bit heroworshiping of the Roses, but I remember seeing an interview she did with Ian Brown over in Galway at a Green energy gig (or a Witness forerunner) and seeing the contempt and attitude he showed for one of the most genuine people you could come across was pretty sobering, when it was totally unmerited. I distinctly remember he was eating a shiny Granny Smith.
    I remember that interview, it was as if he was taking out years of music journalist-generated frustration on poor Uaneen, awful to watch. And, I remember the apple , I think he got up from where he was and made for the apple on the other side of the room while she was in the middle of a question. Galway, Brown, would prob have been the "Big Day Out" so, think that was around '97.
    Last edited by freewheel30; 29/08/2011 at 6:39 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    There was one song as well, kinda hip-hoppy song which I loved, but cannot for the life of me find or remember the title of. I know either "the decepticons" or "the incepticons" was the key line in the lyrics and the video was a kind of space invaders feel to it.

There is a facebook page dedicated to the show, spent plenty of days listening to tunes on that,.
    FOund it!

Quote Originally Posted by freewheel30 View Post
    I remember that interview, it was as if he was taking out years of music journalist-generated frustration on poor Uaneen, awful to watch. And, I remember the apple , I think he got up from where he was and made for the apple on the other side of the room while she was in the middle of a question. Galway, Brown, would prob have been the "Big Day Out" so, think that was around '97.
    Big Day Out, good man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    One thing to say Kingdom... I also had a massive ghrá for wee Uaneen. Massive and yes, tears were shed when I heard.

16. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    In fairness, I think Uaneen was around long enough to know Brown's (and the Roses) attitude to journalists by that stage. I've read that it was like a switch - they were nice as could be before interviews, but once the tape started rolling they became untcs.

Dineen was before my time (of living here rather than age unfortunately), but watched it in Uaneen's time and listened to her radio show. Sad day when the news came through.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm sure Crafty Toe Poke already knows but in case he doesn't:

https://thisaintnodisco.ie/

---

Also, 5 and a half years later and I never got a response about the playlists. I think I'll give it a bash later.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

19. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12