Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russia-Serbia

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I think Torbinskiy's on, about time. Very good player and should add a bite before the end. Serbia seem clueless at times, Pavlyuchenko is a shadow of the player he was 4 years ago.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Pavlyuchenko just taken off, Shirokov on. Russia looking to hold on. Looked a clear penalty a minute ago, if Quigley got one against Sligo, then surely Serbia deserved one. Ignashevich all over Pantelic (I think) and shoved him as he was about to make the ball.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Russia close to making it 2, Bilyatedinov excellent down the left, laid it to a Berezutskiy who couldn't keep his shot down, in fairness he began his run last night so he must have been tired when he got to the edge of the Serbian peno box. Maybe I'm seeing things, but Russia have less subs than Serbia, didn't hear of injuries earlier today. Nothing on the hand out either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    3 minutes injury time, Russia not really under pressure. Serbia showed their intentions by taking off Tosic and Krasic. Gazprom must have "invested" again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    All over, on this showing Ireland have a serious chance, especially on a bigger pitch like Luzhniki. If we have a full team out I wouldn't be worried about losing, more about nicking a goal early and keeping them back. If Bilyatedinov plays we could have trouble, but there's nothing to fear in Russia and the atmosphere won't be as intimidating in the other stadium. Okay, I'm off to grab a local cider before heading to the best sports bar in the city for the ireland match.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Sounds positive although I try not to read too much into friendlies. Confirms what a lot of us suspected about Russia - we're in with a shout. Win against Slovakia will be crucial in creating momentum and confidence.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    That's the key, putting one over the Slovaks. Last time in Dublin Ireland had the most unusual tactics againsst Russia. They let them play and resorted to hoofing the ball. I still wonder whether this came from Trap or the players. Ireland need someone to stand on Arshavin for 90minutes, to run at the 2 centre backs (chips over the top work against them as they're very slow on the turn) and if Kerzhakov plays to man mark him.

Bloody security here are a nightmare, we're all standing waiting to leave but nobody is even sure what exit. Nuts.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Bad stewarding here tonight, not normal and they brought in an outside company to do it (not the Loko guys). Still no sign of movement and it's freezing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    What kind of food do they serve there, in the Russian Stadiums?
    Big article last week in the NYT about how Papa Johns and KFC are invading that country. Apptly you can make your whole investment back and start turning massive profit in only 2 years with a Papa Franchise.
    They must not have very good pizza there if they love Papa Johns though. Which was the point of my question.
    Also Moscow must be expensive as **** if they charge more for a pizza there than here.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika
    Decent crowd in with both sides chanting "Kosovo is Serbia"
    No surprise, as it is.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    No surprise, as it is.
    explain. I would have thought Serbia is Serbia.

Even when Kosovo was part of Serbia, it was still autonomous. Russia, Serbia's historical ally, is one of the very few countries to refuse to recognise Kosovo's independence.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    to run at the 2 centre backs (chips over the top work against them as they're very slow on the turn)
    Long a possible starter then against them, made some well timed runs of that nature in the Croatia game I thought. More likely as an impact sub though I suppose if Keane and Doyle are available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts

Even when Kosovo was part of Serbia, it was still autonomous. Russia, Serbia's historical ally, is one of the very few countries to refuse to recognise Kosovo's independence.
    Most countries that recognise it, do so as punishment for what happened in 1999. Serbia is trying to put it's past behind it, doing what is asked of it by the international community, and is a free, open, welcoming EU-candidate country.

Kosovo has every right to feel aggrieved by what happened then. That however, does not entitle them to declare "independence" when they feel like it to pis off Serbia. Kosovo's declaration of "independence" is declared illegal and their border stamps are unrecognised by Belgrade, as they should be.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    :-) Sorry, it's a pain, I'm on wi-fi and it's a bit patchy (all that concrete). I just keep smiling when they chant about Kosovo, you hear the same thing in Croatian football grounds, except they chant in support of Kosovo. Then they complain about "Albanians" smuggling and causing crime in the domovina! Raining again, but drizzle. Would love to see the odds of a 1-1.
    Doesn't everyone complain about the albanians?

Ya you were up in the press box.

mypost the rational illogical thinker.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 11/08/2011 at 9:27 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

I'm afraid this is a rather catastrophic over-simplification of the Kosovo recognition issue. "Very few countries", well Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, (in fact most of Latin America bar Peru and Colombia) haven't recognised it. All ex Soviet countries (Russia, all the 'istans, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, even Georgia, the NATO poster-boy of the region) do not recognise. The only ex-USSR countries that do recognise it are the politically supine Batic trio. Even within the EU Spain, Greece and Romania don't recognise it. Within the Islamic world, which the Kosovans have tried court, Iran, Indonesia and Pakistan (3 of the largest countries in terms of population) do not recognise it. On the subject of countries with big populations neither China nor India have recognised Kosovo, nor have 75% of African countries (including the biggest ones - e.g. South Africa, Nigeria).

The ratio a few months ago was something like 60:100 in terms of countries that recognised : didnt recognise it. Much of the NATO club (USA, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, UK, Scandinavia) may recognise it, but that doesn't mean the majority of countries across the world recognise it.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Edmundo don't worry skstu has an over-simplification regarding a lot of issues.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What kind of food do they serve there, in the Russian Stadiums?
    Big article last week in the NYT about how Papa Johns and KFC are invading that country. Apptly you can make your whole investment back and start turning massive profit in only 2 years with a Papa Franchise.
    They must not have very good pizza there if they love Papa Johns though. Which was the point of my question.
    Also Moscow must be expensive as **** if they charge more for a pizza there than here.
    Loko is the best by far of the stadia in the RFPL, though the food is awful. Also no beer and the quality is poor. Luzhniki, on the other hand, is far worse. Best to eat up at Frunzenskaya before the match (McDonalds, MooMoo, Papa Johns etc) and walk the last couple of kms down. Pizza quality varies in Russia, usually not great, not a patch on Croatia, but there are signs of improvement. Too many cheap items used to pad it all out though. KFC is in a while though with a local partner, Rostiks, it does well but they wouldn't be a patch on local cuisine. Russians prefer what they eat at home (slop - sorry, had to say it) or sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

Kosovo wouldn't quite be a state in the purest sense, but what is? It essentially is a gangser state, much like its neighbours after the war. It was established to alienate islamic fundies who are quite active in Bosnia and also to try clean up the criminality, though Kosovars (of all shades) seem to have this odd streak going through them. Where we're in Croatia there is a town that was repopulated with Croats from Kosovo (displaced in fighting there). While I've great time for them and like them, they are different and their mentality is closer to that of Albanian than Serbian - ditto with Kosovar Serbs.

The whole issue isn't simple, it's a major cause for debate in Russia and the blame can largely be laid at Tito's door, and a guy who was "active" with a coke bottle and a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Most countries that recognise it, do so as punishment for what happened in 1999. Serbia is trying to put it's past behind it, doing what is asked of it by the international community, and is a free, open, welcoming EU-candidate country.

Kosovo has every right to feel aggrieved by what happened then. That however, does not entitle them to declare "independence" when they feel like it to pis off Serbia. Kosovo's declaration of "independence" is declared illegal and their border stamps are unrecognised by Belgrade, as they should be.
    Also remember there is a heavy military presence there to protect Serb civilians and Orthodox and Catholic sites, I think even the Croatians are beginning to find it unfunny.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Doesn't everyone complain about the albanians?

Ya you were up in the press box.

mypost the rational illogical thinker.
    No, not quite in the press box, the club office is near so it's handier, indoors and they serve hot drinks. Plus the waitresses are, well, there aren't waitresses for the journos, god alone knows what would happen if there were!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    No, not quite in the press box, the club office is near so it's handier, indoors and they serve hot drinks. Plus the waitresses are, well, there aren't waitresses for the journos, god alone knows what would happen if there were!
    One things for sure Spud - You wouldnt even notice them, head buried deep in that book of yours.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I'm afraid this is a rather catastrophic over-simplification of the Kosovo recognition issue. "Very few countries", well Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, (in fact most of Latin America bar Peru and Colombia) haven't recognised it. All ex Soviet countries (Russia, all the 'istans, Ukraine, Armenia, Azerbaijan, even Georgia, the NATO poster-boy of the region) do not recognise. The only ex-USSR countries that do recognise it are the politically supine Batic trio. Even within the EU Spain, Greece and Romania don't recognise it. Within the Islamic world, which the Kosovans have tried court, Iran, Indonesia and Pakistan (3 of the largest countries in terms of population) do not recognise it. On the subject of countries with big populations neither China nor India have recognised Kosovo, nor have 75% of African countries (including the biggest ones - e.g. South Africa, Nigeria).

The ratio a few months ago was something like 60:100 in terms of countries that recognised : didnt recognise it. Much of the NATO club (USA, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, UK, Scandinavia) may recognise it, but that doesn't mean the majority of countries across the world recognise it.
    Fair enough Edmundo - i bow to your clearly superior knowledge. I was going on what i had read and have been told. I should verify these things independently i suppose. I do have quite an in-depth knowledge of the break-up of Yugoslavia but find it easier to simplify things on message boards as it is a very complicated situation.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Edmundo don't worry skstu has an over-simplification regarding a lot of issues.
    Yeah good one. What is your opinion on the Kosovo independence issue Paul? Unless you have something to contribute you should stay out of it. Not cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Kosovo wouldn't quite be a state in the purest sense, but what is? It essentially is a gangser state, much like its neighbours after the war. It was established to alienate islamic fundies who are quite active in Bosnia and also to try clean up the criminality, though Kosovars (of all shades) seem to have this odd streak going through them. Where we're in Croatia there is a town that was repopulated with Croats from Kosovo (displaced in fighting there). While I've great time for them and like them, they are different and their mentality is closer to that of Albanian than Serbian - ditto with Kosovar Serbs.
    absolutely. Kosovo was a very unique place even in Yugoslav terms back in pre-break up days. In fact, it was the tensions in Kosovo between the ethnic Albanians and Serbs that led to Milosevic abandoning his communist principles in favour of Serb nationalism. (pardon the over simplifications!!!!) - maybe their "odd streak" is a guilt complex!!

Where in Croatia are you (occasionally) based Spud?

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast