Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James McClean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    SSN now cutting Sir David's speech with the North of Ireland XI lining up for GStQ, head-bowing et al.

I applaud their sense of irony.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    On the OWC forum, apparently he is a Provo *****. Some are calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!
    Have you a link to these comments...I had a look on OWC and couldn't see any such comments?
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Have you a link to these comments...I had a look on OWC and couldn't see any such comments?
    Perhaps they've been removed or edited, but I also saw him being labeled a provo. It's the usual kind of bitter name calling that emerges when a player opts to play for the FAI that makes OWC fans nothing but an absolute laughing stock.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Perhaps they've been removed or edited, but I also saw him being labeled a provo.
    In fairness, James makes no secret of his support for the Provos - it was highlighted on this very Forum that he displayed his support on Facebook.

I'm more interested in the other alleged comments about "calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!" - perhaps dantheman will post a link to said comments.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    http://ourweecountry.ipbhost.com/ind...dpost&p=725827

after todays news i tend to agree with you, they are Irish catholics and are only interested in playing for the ROI (end of story) the longer this goes on the more my blood boils so just forget about them and try to gain more players from the mainland. Gerry will be the man for the job.
    Impressive!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    A simple phone call before naming the squad would avoid all this fuss or maybe creating a media fuss was the IFA's intention.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_McLean

A "**** up" by the IFA at the time.

Rule changes mean the IFA could now call him up.
    Not wishing to be antagonistic , but are you sure? According to Wiki, that is.
    But will he be? Would back your judgement on this one.

And out of interest, when did that U-21 rule come into force?
    Anyone know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I've firmly believed that they have consistently attempted to embarrass all of the "recruits" knowing full well that they have no intention of ever turning out for the Province.

Or they are idiots...

yeah it's hard to know.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    i think the real question in all this is whether McLean can hope to get to 29 pages like Shane Ferguson did. Exciting times ahead for this thread.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    In fairness, James makes no secret of his support for the Provos - it was highlighted on this very Forum that he displayed his support on Facebook.

I'm more interested in the other alleged comments about "calling for Catholics to be excluded from future youth squads!"
    No offence, but he said he supports SF. Know there's a lot of paranoia about that in the Unionist community, but can assure you that not every current SF supporter 'supports the Provos' or anything like, so that's a slight slur on McClean?

As for the other quote, it doubtless comes from someone who probably supports the 'extreme' end of loyalism, but it doesn't automatically make them a 'terrorist supporter' either....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i think the real question in all this is whether McLean can hope to get to 29 pages like Shane Ferguson did. Exciting times ahead for this thread.
    You are lampooning us??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    3 pages in 24 hours is not bad going. He's definitely moving as quick as Ferguson in that regard.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A big thank you to Nigel for his continued incompetence. It was mentioned somewhere recently that pastoral care of young players was deemed essential if NI was to keep players. Worthington's attitude and treatment of players like Mannus shows he doesn't really get this. Also, this continued bilge of sectaranism will really help young players make a decision to switch to the real Ireland football team.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    Granted, this young mans recent bout of chicanery, clearly aimed at securing a massive foot.ie thread, and little else, has seen him off to a flyer, he has however made a couple of schoolboy errors which will cost him a thread of any significance in its length, in my opinion, firstly, he will pay for his honesty in putting the matter to bed nice and early, at the first opportunity in fact, and secondly, there is the lack of a Scottish mum in the equation. These factors will see Ferguson remain a figure of interest for longer in this particular matter, but here's to them both being under discussion here for many years to come.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 10/08/2011 at 1:51 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Granted, this young mans recent bout of chicanery, clearly aimed at securing a massive foot.ie thread, and little else, has seen him off to a flyer, he has however made a couple of schoolboy errors which will cost him a thread of any significance in its length, in my opinion, firstly, he will pay for his honesty in putting the matter to bed nice and early, at the first opportunity in fact, and secondly, there is the lack of a Scottish mum in he equation. These factors will see Ferguson remain a figure of interest for longer in this particular matter, but here's to them both being under discussion here for many years to come.
    All true CTP - we can only pray that some ill informed comments from Worthington or some poor analysis from the Belfast Telegraph will see a perturbed Danny help the young lad creep past 10 pages. After that, its anyones guess. I mean, who could have predicted Fergusons meteoric rise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    "But I've said before if you don't want to come and play for Northern Ireland, don't abuse the shirt, don't abuse the nation, don't insult the manager and the IFA by claiming you want to come and play in a friendly. Players have done that in previous years where they feel we're not sure, we haven't decided where we want to play, can we come and play in a meaningless friendly where it doesn't mean much, mixing amongst the lads for three or four days and then disappear off the face of the earth where we don't see them again. Don't abuse it, don't abuse the shirt. Northern Ireland's always been a place where we've prided ourselves on great pride and passion so don't come in and abuse our wee country."
    As was pondered on MNS last night, to whom is Healy even referring? It's certainly not McClean. Actually, I can't think of anyone who fits the rather general characterisation outlined by Healy. Maybe Adam Barton - I can see how he might be cast as a bit of a chancer - but then that wasn't years ago either.

I definitely came across similar myself somewhere. I think it was on OWC, but couldn't be certain. Possibly it was on the OWC's Facebook page even. Either way, whether McClean is open about his support for Sinn Féin or not, I still sense that the use of such the tag "provo" in the context was intended strictly as a slur or in a pejorative sense. It was basically another way for someone, probably of a unionist or loyalist persuasion, to besmirch McClean as "scum" and to discredit the legitimacy of his motives as "out-of-order" and "sectarian".

Edit: AB and Bonnie; I'd initially posted it here, but I've responded in the eligibility thread to earlier points you'd made as it was probably more appropriate to place the responses there rather than here, although with the natural cross-over that you're going to get in a topic like this, it's hard to know what's to be considered appropriate and irrelevant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think you've pre-empted me, but who knows? When the time comes, the inclusion of your above two comments might just happen to push this thread on to its 29th page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    3 pages in 24 hours is not bad going. He's definitely moving as quick as Ferguson in that regard.
    Well both are known to have bags of pace...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Surprised it took three pages to get the usual moan in. McClean is unlikely to be capped by us anytime soon so it's probably best to avoid this thread in future as his "switch" rather than his footballing abilities will be the topic of discussion.

Expect another "Shane Ferguson", "James McClean" etc etc thread the next time NI announce their squad for their September games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Not wishing to be antagonistic , but are you sure? According to Wiki, that is.
    But will he be? Would back your judgement on this one.

And out of interest, when did that U-21 rule come into force?
    Anyone know?
    Here's another link confirming the blunder made by the IFA over McLean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4905764.stm

As the "before the age of 21" rule no longer is in place, my understanding is that McLean would now be eligible to play for Northern Ireland.

The "before the age of 21" rule was scraped a couple of years ago.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast