Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Golf

Amazed no-one has jumped on to the bandwagon.
    Especially re.the Brit.Open winner earlier.
    Fair play to Clarke. He seems more like a fat bloke you'd meet down the pub.

Not a sport I have great time for however, though it is starting to be disturbingly undermined over the passage of time.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Really enjoyed the Ryder Cup yesterday evening. It is amazing the way momentum can go with a team within the space of 5 minutes. During one such period the Europeans sank 4 difficult putts and the whole match turned around. Olazabal suddenly went from being the whipping boy of the Sky and British media generally to being an "inspiration".

I have to say I couldn't believe Tiger on the last hole in the last game. Sure, Europe had retained the Cup but the USA still had a chance of drawing the match which to me would be some consolation. After a poor putt he concedes a three footer to Molinari which allows Europe to win the hole and win (rather than just retain) the Trophy. He just didn't seem to care. I would not have been a happy team mate and we were denied the drama of the Italian having a putt to win the Ryder putt.

A great comeback by Europe and I never thought I'd get excited by seeing a German sink a 6 footer to win a match. And far less shouts of "in the hole" as the day progressed. Sport at its best for most of the day.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have to say I couldn't believe Tiger on the last hole in the last game. Sure, Europe had retained the Cup but the USA still had a chance of drawing the match which to me would be some consolation. After a poor putt he concedes a three footer to Molinari which allows Europe to win the hole and win (rather than just retain) the Trophy. He just didn't seem to care. I would not have been a happy team mate and we were denied the drama of the Italian having a putt to win the Ryder putt.
    Almost the exaxt same thing happened in 1969 when Nicklaus and Jacklin went down the 18th with the matches tied at 15.5 each - Nicklaus had 5 feet for birdie and Jacklin had a 2 foot putt for a birdie also.

Nicklaus holed his putt which secured at least half a point and the tie, thus earning the US a tie overall and the retention of the trophy, however instead of looking at Jackin's 2 footer ( which had he missed would have given the American's the outright win ) he picked up his marker - thus conceeding the putt, and the matches finished 16-16. While some of the American's were none too pleased with it - it was generally lauded as a fantastic act of sportsmanship, but fast forward to Sunday and Tiger didn't care ? I think Woods can do no right at this stage regarding the media and the general public. I thought it was a nice gesture - and Molinari wasn't going to miss that putt anyway. I don't think it mattered much in the end.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I think Woods can do no right at this stage regarding the media and the general public. I thought it was a nice gesture - and Molinari wasn't going to miss that putt anyway. I don't think it mattered much in the end.
    Surely the nice gesture, if he wasn't going to miss, was to allow him take the putt that would win the Ryder Cup. However, it was by no means a gimme and Molanari's weak point is his putting (apparently) and as Captain of that team I would be real disappointed if I had a chance of a draw rather than an outright defeat and one of my players lost the chance.

Retaining the trophy is the poor man's winning it imho. It brought home to me that Tiger is not really a team player as has been said about him many times before. I doubt if it really crossed his mind. He missed his putt and that's all he cared about. The record book shows a win for Europe while there was an outside but reasonable chance of it having been a tie.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    As reported in the news today, a lot of betting money was won/lost on Woods action as well.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    As reported in the news today, a lot of betting money was won/lost on Woods action as well.
    Woods (rightfully) doesn't care about gamblers. Nice gesture.

A few years ago Paul McGinley made a similar gesture. I was on the other end of that gambling wise but its nice to see golfers not worried about their own records.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Retaining the trophy is the poor man's winning it imho.
    When Kaymer holed the putt to take Europe to 14 points I wonder did the tears and jubilation on behalf of the team beside the green reflect the draw or was a single player worrried about Molinari / Woods up the fairway?

Winning / the tie at that stage was academic, to everyone apart from the punters and Woods bashers.

Does Christy O'Connor's 2 iron in 89 take on less of a significance just because the matches themselves were tied ? That shot is on the wall of virtually every golf club in the country i'd say.

Fair play to Woods - an act of true sportsmanship.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    No sympathy for the bookies. The last game has been halved or conceded on "gentlemanly" terms in the past and that's just something they have to factor in.

Payne Stewart conceding a huge putt to Monty in Brookline is a notable example. Stewart had recognised that Monty was feeling awful and was on the wrong end of all kinds of abuse from the crowd, and it was a very sporting gesture at the end of a keenly fought game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    If Tiger gets DQ'd from this tourney i will laugh. Bad drop. President of CBS is definitely in a panic right now.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Two shot penalty, should have been DQ'd. If he was black, oh wait...I mean if was 14 and Chinese he'd be half way to China by now.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I think he has to WD. Everyone of note on twitter is saying he needs to do the right thing. Dont know if thats fair though. USGA knew of the problem before he signed his card. so why not say something to him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Do the right thing?

Bull!

He has been penalised and that's that done with! The USGA made a hames of it and they shoudl just get on with it now.

If he was to win the Masters after taking a 2 shot penalty it would be an achievement beyond anything and he should be applauded.

In saying that... I bloody hate golf and my head is done in with talk of it today.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Thankfully a great finish to the tournament last night after Tiger got away with cheating and the rules committee penalizing a 14 year old kid from china for slow play.

The slow play penalty took the biscuit for me, It's amazing how Jason Day wasn't penalized over the weekend, his group lost a full hole to the group in front on Saturday, and I swear to jaysus he took a nap before playing his approach on 18 last night. What a clown!

Delighted with the finish - Cabrera was a little unlucky with his pitch on 18 in the 1st playoff hole - but you couldn't begrudge Scott - top player and seemingly a top person as well.

15. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm off to the Irish Open at Carton House on Friday. Never been to an Irish Open before so really looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Clarke could be named Ryder Captain tmrw.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf...-30999920.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Tiger is going to play the Masters. Should be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Tiger is going to play the Masters. Should be interesting.
    No it wont - he wont make the cut! - actually by a good distance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    He's worth putting a sawbuck on.

Lexi Thompson on golf digest. I love her. My pants were down in seconds. Unfortunately i was in a barnes and noble.

https://www.google.com/search?redir_...ml%3B600%3B787

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    That's one hell of a round for Spieth so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    It was .... but long way to go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast