Thanked in
    1 Post
    Magicman for president.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    I never begrudged Alan Barry. I gave my opinion as to why I don't think he gets a call up. In a junior league he is brilliant. No debating otherwise. But even if it is junior football, the step up between club and international is huge. As good as Alan is, there are more technical players around. Clarke is the same. Tonnes of talent but a top class defender will mark him easily. I bet Pat Mullins could do the same to Barry as he did to Clarke.

I never answerd for the Irish manager and I'm certainly not making excuses for him. Its not my job and to be honest I don't see why he needs to make excuses. Just because you don't like a player who plays for the Irish set up, doesnt mean the alternative is any better. Being "smiths love child" as an arguement as to why he's in the squad ahead of your own summed up my point perfectly. Your arguement has no grounds whatsoever. How many times do you see the other defenders in the Irish squad play? Maybe you might see one or two of them once or twice a year? How can you make an honest judgement as to why Limerick players aren't in the squad? And just because they are class players, doensn't mean they deserve a spot in the squad. Look how many leagues a squad is chosen from. I'd bet there is a player in every single one of those leagues as good as every player we have in ours.

I never said Boris wasn't a good player. My point was last year he was poor. Nothing to do with skill or ability. It was form. Therefore he did not deserve a call up. He played the year before and by all accounts was excellent. Had he being playing well he would be in the Irish set up but I'm sure he will be back there soon.

Next time you see Smith around at a game, have a chat with him..... People on here may not like him but the man knows the good and bad about every player worth looking at. I've had the plessure of his company at a number of games over the last few years and when I've asked about certain players, some who you think should be in the squad and others who were there or there abouts over the years, and he can tell you in an instant the flaws to their game as to why they don't get selected.
    Don't know how really he can see their flaws when he might only see them play once a season,someone posted that their up against nothing in Limerick,I personally don't agree with that but that's another days work,they came up against the so called best in the country last year and overcame them,so that blows that theory goes out the window,Pa Mullins and colm enright were outstanding in last years fai junior cup final as was Boris,so he has a problem obviously with picking players from Limerick.last few years Limerick clubs are dominating munster,would you not agree?maybe mr Smyth is not getting the right information from his scout down in this side of the country,apparently he spends most of his time out in tipp town?I see clonmel town beat St micks last year in league final and clonmel centre half was by far the best player on the pitch by a country mile,ted oconnor is his name and was clonmels best player last season,call up,no chance,my point is that players are not getting a fair crack of the whip,if their called up to squads and don't make it then fair enough,but at least give them a chance,that's my opinion anyway.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    again another excellent post magicman, YOU THE MAN,

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    fai final was held in May there hasnt been a junior international game since so why the bashing of Smyth and his scout. there was the regions cup in june but afaik the squad had been selected and players were in training since April. By the way smyths team reached the european final so he must be doing something right!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    I never begrudged Alan Barry. I gave my opinion as to why I don't think he gets a call up. In a junior league he is brilliant. No debating otherwise. But even if it is junior football, the step up between club and international is huge. As good as Alan is, there are more technical players around. Clarke is the same. Tonnes of talent but a top class defender will mark him easily. I bet Pat Mullins could do the same to Barry as he did to Clarke.

I never answerd for the Irish manager and I'm certainly not making excuses for him. Its not my job and to be honest I don't see why he needs to make excuses. Just because you don't like a player who plays for the Irish set up, doesnt mean the alternative is any better. Being "smiths love child" as an arguement as to why he's in the squad ahead of your own summed up my point perfectly. Your arguement has no grounds whatsoever. How many times do you see the other defenders in the Irish squad play? Maybe you might see one or two of them once or twice a year? How can you make an honest judgement as to why Limerick players aren't in the squad? And just because they are class players, doensn't mean they deserve a spot in the squad. Look how many leagues a squad is chosen from. I'd bet there is a player in every single one of those leagues as good as every player we have in ours.

I never said Boris wasn't a good player. My point was last year he was poor. Nothing to do with skill or ability. It was form. Therefore he did not deserve a call up. He played the year before and by all accounts was excellent. Had he being playing well he would be in the Irish set up but I'm sure he will be back there soon.

Next time you see Smith around at a game, have a chat with him..... People on here may not like him but the man knows the good and bad about every player worth looking at. I've had the plessure of his company at a number of games over the last few years and when I've asked about certain players, some who you think should be in the squad and others who were there or there abouts over the years, and he can tell you in an instant the flaws to their game as to why they don't get selected.
    If he is going by form how come pa mullins wasnt picked so your comments that he picks on form are rubbish and for the record pa mullins was told at first he was on the squad and got a call later to say there was a change in mind what happened in that time only yourself and gerry will know and they why he was informed wasnt good enough, i have no problem with chalky or anyone on the squad but im sure when there are irish trials you wont see him play in goals, it would be great if more limerick players have at least be given a fair chance no point in picking a player to go on trial if your not going to play him in hes best position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theboywonder8 View Post
    Don't know how really he can see their flaws when he might only see them play once a season,someone posted that their up against nothing in Limerick,I personally don't agree with that but that's another days work,they came up against the so called best in the country last year and overcame them,so that blows that theory goes out the window,Pa Mullins and colm enright were outstanding in last years fai junior cup final as was Boris,so he has a problem obviously with picking players from Limerick.last few years Limerick clubs are dominating munster,would you not agree?maybe mr Smyth is not getting the right information from his scout down in this side of the country,apparently he spends most of his time out in tipp town?I see clonmel town beat St micks last year in league final and clonmel centre half was by far the best player on the pitch by a country mile,ted oconnor is his name and was clonmels best player last season,call up,no chance,my point is that players are not getting a fair crack of the whip,if their called up to squads and don't make it then fair enough,but at least give them a chance,that's my opinion anyway.
    Super post is mick o brien the scout?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    magicman everything you said is bang on, best posts Ive read in a while but I think you've upset the pikeys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hightackle View Post
    i think the pikeys are upsetting the scouts in munster for the irish setup.limerick is one of the strongest leagues in munster if not ireland and limerick has only one player in the squad something very wrong with that.do you have to have a tipp/dublin accent to get a fair crack at whip.(or play your football in cooke park so mick o brien can have a look at you.
    But i thought mike o brien is a fairview man didnt know st micks were hes club.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Thread closed til I sort this out.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Open again,people acting the thick won't be allowed post here if I have my way.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    just reading the last couple of post from so called pike fans. my god ye are a disgrace to the good name of the club and all the people that have given their lives to put the club where it is today. insulting club's, player's, managers. hang yer heads in shame lads.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republican View Post
    just reading the last couple of post from so called pike fans. my god ye are a disgrace to the good name of the club and all the people that have given their lives to put the club where it is today. insulting club's, player's, managers. hang yer heads in shame lads.
    Well said lad,i totally agree

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    this is better than big brother hahahaha

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    [QUOTE=mrman;1537010]magicman everything you said is bang on, best posts Ive read in a while but I think you've upset the pikeys[/QUOT

now that your out injured you have loads of time for this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have no preference towards any team apart from Summerville but the facts are pretty basic here. Pike are the best team in the land and there are three or four other teams in town that would be contenders for the munster junior. There should be a lot more Limerick lads in the shake up for the Irish set up. Also Limerick will more than likely be favourite's or there abouts for Oscar traynor. I don't see any reason for the blatant absence of Limerick lads.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    what lads are you referring to

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    ye got the wrong person, but keep it coming ye are showing everyone how bitter ye are, heard ye poached an Ashling annacotty player to day. any truth in that

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hi guys
    Just saw earlier post regarding ted o connor ( clonmel town)
    Firstly I was at that game and while ted played well he was no better or worse than his back four colleagues on the night the stand out player that night was Ritchie ryan ( fairview ) who singlehandly saved town from a hammering by making 5/6 top class saves
    As for ted he was a top class centre forward who I believe is probably the only guy who ever got the best of chalkie ( the stand out center half in country ) on s few occasion but for injury has been converted to center half he is very good but not international class
    But it's interesting to see the Debate going but you need to be careful there does seem to be a bit of pike bashing which can be unhealty as we have seen on tsdl forum where saints are blamed for everything , but as a proud saint keep up the good debate have to say magic man probably the best post I have ever read

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrman View Post
    ye got the wrong person, but keep it coming ye are showing everyone how bitter ye are, heard ye poached an Ashling annacotty player to day. any truth in that

must be true if you heard it

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Pike Rovers are favourites to win the FAI Junior cup this year but what odds are they to have a player capped?
    You can ignore the rantings but you cannot ignore the facts!!
    The Limerick league is arguably the best in the country and the Limerick players do not get the recognition they deserve!
    The FAI Junior cup has been won by two different Limerick clubs in the last two seasons and with a bit more luck the O.T.trophy could have been won aswell.
    Has this success been reflected in the selection of the international squad?..well I for one do not think so!
    The Junior panel is not made up of Dublin/Tipp players alone,other leagues are represented but the most successful league of recent times seems to be overlooked time and again.The scouts for these other leagues seem to be doing well for their players but in my opinion the scout for Limerick does not attend enough games.I've attended dozens of games over the last 4 or 5 seasons and can only recollect seeing him at two.
    I am not on here to canvass for any club or player....just to give my opinion!!

Even the most biased or the neutrals must admit that there's something not quite right.
    At the very least some of the Limerick players should be invited to attend the training camps or play in the friendlies that are organised before the competitive games....I'm sure they won't let anyone down.
    Best of luck to all Limerick clubs in the various competitions this year!!

Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast