Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stan to coach Liverpool

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    If Staunton showed even an ounce of contrition for the awful job he did as manager of Ireland, then I'd say he doesn't deserve the ****-taking. But I don't recall him ever saying anything remotely capable of placating the fans. In fact, he's talking up how well he did during the week! We pay for his big pay-off through high ticket prices. I loved him as a player but think he's an incompetent, deluded ***** as a coach/manager/man.
    He did a shocking job....but ultimately Its the people that hired him and offered him the contract and payoff that should be apologising to us.

He went in to do a job , with the help of a football great (Bobby Robson) - its the FAI who should have took Bobbys health into consideration when hiring stan and its the FAI who are the ones who ultimately have to look at themselves over the whole sorry saga.

I was as frustrated as anyone with his appointment and the following disastrous campaign.....but the blame starts and ends at the top imo.

Stan took the payoff ultimately because he was fired....why was he fired ....because the FAI were too stupid to appoint a proper manager and only realised what they had done when it was too late.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    If the FAI were a club team with a millionaire benefactor I'd agree with you but, and I know it's already been talked about over and over, Staunton should have had some grace and stepped down and if not, at least he should have acknowledged that he didn't do a good job rather than showing the pig-headed, arrogance he's displayed since he left the job. I don't care about it anymore, really, but I can't stand when people go defending him because he happened to be a great player for Ireland. He was. But he's an embarrassment to himself since he hung up his boots.

They were black days supporting Ireland. And he talks about them like he did a good job. Unreal.
    Someone should send him a video of Waterford's John Mullane (a player) personally apologising on TV to the people of Waterford after their defeat last week. That's how men behave.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    “I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer and at the end of the day what I say goes. I will use Bobby in whatever role I see fit.”

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    He did a shocking job....but ultimately Its the people that hired him and offered him the contract and payoff that should be apologising to us.

He went in to do a job , with the help of a football great (Bobby Robson) - its the FAI who should have took Bobbys health into consideration when hiring stan and its the FAI who are the ones who ultimately have to look at themselves over the whole sorry saga.

I was as frustrated as anyone with his appointment and the following disastrous campaign.....but the blame starts and ends at the top imo.

Stan took the payoff ultimately because he was fired....why was he fired ....because the FAI were too stupid to appoint a proper manager and only realised what they had done when it was too late.
    tsk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    The good news is, it will be a freezing day in Vegas in August before they ever hire someone with no experience again. Er, I think.
    I remember going to that stupid friendly in Giants Stadium vs Ecuador in what I believe was his first match in charge and thinking he looked befuddled. Uncomfortable. He just didnt have an presence. You have to have outward confidence in that job.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think everyones must have got their wires crossed and Staunton was just spotted on a coach to Liverpool.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Crosby ,The below link was Stans first game in charge.................false dawn if there ever was one ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXjMpR1KADQ
    My Country is My Club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    What's all this about him learning how to do stuff? The man has been around football his whole life you'd think he'd have a fair handle on it by now.

Great thread by the way haven't laughed so much in ages.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

The man dragged us into an abyss we are now only starting to climb out of. He was absolutely atrocious yet clung on till the bitter end to make sure he got his extremely undeserved payoff imo. If someone like Kevin Keegan can walk away from a job because he feels he wasn't up to it then Staunton who made the former look like Jose Mourinho certainly doesn't deserve my respect. Great player certainly but he had long since spent any goodwill I had for him when he was still going on about his 4 year plan after that last minute draw at home to Cyprus when we'd been played off the park for 90 minutes and only scrapped the point with a goal at the death from Finnan.
    Last edited by youngirish; 18/07/2011 at 8:28 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    What's all this about him learning how to do stuff? The man has been around football his whole life you'd think he'd have a fair handle on it by now.

Eh learning how to be a manager? Or are you of the opinion that everyone who has been in football for their whole life just automatically is a good manager?
    My Country is My Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The man dragged us into an abyss we are now only starting to climb out of. He was absolutely atrocious yet clung on till the bitter end to make sure he got his extremely undeserved payoff imo. If someone like Kevin Keegan can walk away from a job because he feels he wasn't up to it then Staunton who made the former look like Jose Mourinho certainly doesn't deserve my respect. Great player certainly but he had long since spent any goodwill I had for him when he was still going on about his 4 year plan after that last minute draw at home to Cyprus when we'd been played off the park for 90 minutes and only scrapped the point with a goal at the death from Finnan.

We just about got a win at home to cyprus under trappatoni, add in the fact that cyprus are a vastly improving team and have some really good results over the last few years.

All im saying is that I just think the anti - stan element should have dyed down by now. I thought he should never have been given the job in the first place and it back fired badly on the irish team and without a doubt put us on the back foot in terms of developing as an international force.

I just believe the ultimate blame lies with the FAI on this as they should never have given him a contract in the first place
    My Country is My Club.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    We also lost 1-0 to Germany due to a jammy deflected free kick and drew 0-0 at home when we should have won. That Germany team went on to the Euro '08 final and World Cup '10 semis. He was an inexperienced manager who made a lot of mistakes as he learned, but he also brought through the likes of Doyle, Long and McGeady who are no indispensible members of our squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

All im saying is that I just think the anti - stan element should have dyed down by now.
    He brought it up, last week though. I can forget about it, as I'm sure most people can, but he's the one who was in the papers last week telling us how great a job he did. He should be locked in a room and made listen to a tape of Bobby Robson on Liveline on a loop for a week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    We also lost 1-0 to Germany due to a jammy deflected free kick and drew 0-0 at home when we should have won. That Germany team went on to the Euro '08 final and World Cup '10 semis. He was an inexperienced manager who made a lot of mistakes as he learned, but he also brought through the likes of Doyle, Long and McGeady who are no indispensible members of our squad.
    A Germany team playing in third gear who qualified pulling up, finishing ten points ahead of us. Czech Rep were 12 ahead of us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Even the main man doesn't seem to know much about Stan's new role. Must be top secret high level stuff:

http://www.irishexaminer.ie/sport/so...an-161549.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    You're right Charlie, we did get a bit unlucky against the bigger teams in the group. Had Germany already qualified by the time of that 0-0 game though? Can't remember. You're also right that he brought through a lot of younger players, including the 3 above, but I remember thinking at the time how difficult it must have been for them to come in, play in a clueless, directionless team and get bood off, which was happening a lot at the time especially towards the end. I'm just glad that it didn't appear to knock their confidence too much but they were dark days. Youngirish is right. We're only really starting to undo the damage he did now
    Le monde est a nous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Had Germany already qualified by the time of that 0-0 game though? Can't remember.
    Think they needed two points from three remaining home games, or something like that to qualify.
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Eu...ifying_Group_D their last three games were:
    Germany 0-3 Czech Republic
    Germany 4-0 Cyprus
    Germany 0-0 Wales
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12