Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Liam Lawrence

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    The Football League has introduced its own variant of Financial Fair Play and Leagues 1 and 2 have even stronger salary caps. They appear to be taking hold.

The Premier League has also introduced rules which I haven't studied in detail.

Anyway, you can see why the MLS is becoming more attractive. There are only a limited number of high earners like Keane and Dempsey but even the journeyman can earn decent coin and sample something different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Story from his time in Greece

Remember Liam Lawrence? The former Irish international, now Shrewsbury Town captain, was reflecting this week and his time with PAOK and told a pretty unnerving story about the intensity of club rivalries over there.

Lawrence regaled the Shrophire Star with a tale about one specific match, when they were leaving Athens after playing Panathinaikos:

"One time we were coming back from a game in Athens – we hadn’t been playing them – but as we travelled along the motorway the police stopped us and said we had to head back because their fans were waiting for us.

We ended up heading into a village and hiding in the mountains. We just sat there in the dark for two-and-a-half-hours until they got bored. It was absolutely crazy."

A little more harrowing than Arsenal fans shouting out a car window at you because you went to Man City. Lawrence has no regrets about playing in Greece however, saying ‘I’m still glad I went out there. I was a great experience for me, especially as I got to play in the Europa League.’

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Could have sworn I read that a couple of years ago.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Liam Lawrence has signed for Bristol Rovers on a free transfer from Shrewsbury.

The 34-year-old has agreed a deal to the end of the season and Rovers boss Darrell Clarke described the signing as a "fantastic coup".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think I say this everytime but, loved him.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Really liked him as a player for us. Thought Trap was very harsh to just drop him unceremoniously

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    A good player. If he had a bit more pace he would have been one hell of a player. Thems the breaks I suppose.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Really liked him as a player for us. Thought Trap was very harsh to just drop him unceremoniously
    Trap gave him his only international caps though, having been pretty much forgotten up to the age of 28, so he also has a lot to be thankful for as well.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Trap gave him his only international caps though, having been pretty much forgotten up to the age of 28, so he also has a lot to be thankful for as well.
    True but any manager worth their salt would have had a proper look at him. Staunton never capped him but seemed to cap everyone else that was eligible.
    I think Staunton's overriding criteria was 'are they under 22? I'll cap them so hi' in that beautiful County Louth draawl of his
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Joining the academy staff at Stoke: https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/202.../Liam-is-back/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Joining the academy staff at Stoke: https://www.stokecityfc.com/news/202.../Liam-is-back/
    Good player. Probably lacked that bit of pace ( could be injury , whatever ) I think a player like that , that has had to work out a style of play for himself because he lacked a bit of pace / whatever, always has a chance as a coach. He showed as a player that he could get over that drawback.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425