Thread: Liam Lawrence

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    what makes Macken a knob........

dunno why people seem to have something against him playing for ireland.
    is he any different that morrison in terms or birth etc......
    only difference i can see is that hes a better striker.
    the fact macken is more average than alan lee and couldnt score in a brothel. Nothing to do with nationality that doesnt bother me its just macken is average and not needed in our squad whereas lawrence has the potential to be a lot more than that. IF lads like martin rowlands get a call why not ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    the fact macken is more average than alan lee and couldnt score in a brothel.
    Lee's best season in the Championship was 16 goals and that was the only time he scored more than 10 in that league. Macken scored 22 Championship goals in his last full season with Preston. Macken scored a total of 62 goals in his last 3 seasons before injury. I'd personally have Macken in ahead of Lee.

barglee
    i reckon the fact that Macken is a premiership player and Lee is a championship player counts for a lot.

look at all the players who've done well in first division but at the end of the day arent up to it at top level.e.g. mark kennedy, david connoly......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Macken may be a premiership player but he's done nothing to suggest he can play at this level. Even Doherty has managed a goal in the league this season, and Morrison has scored before and played well for Birmingham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Macken v Lee is all academic right now. Target men merely provide options in a Kerr world. I just want to see the latest hot property in Irish football put on the senior green.

Stephen Elliot, do your thing. Everything else can wait.

(Even Aiden McGeady. Heresy. )

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    And as for the subject of the thread? I'd love to see him in a 'B' squad sometime soon. Somebody else on this site suggested entering a 'B' team into this year's Unity Cup. I'd be all for that. Perhaps that 'B' team should be the subject of another thread?

PP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I'd love to see us start using a B team, really what are the arguments against one? It could only be a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Yeah I'd love to see us start using a B team, really what are the arguments against one? It could only be a good thing.
    maybe clubs would get p i s s y?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Went along to the den hoping to see Elliott, who didn't play because of injury.

From what I saw of Liam Lawrence hes slow, can't control the ball and lazy and was eventually subsituted. Hardly the making of an international player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Macken is better than Lee/Lawrence end of.......my mackem pal says Elliott is currently better than Lawrence.....but Elliott was sold by Man.C.,due to the return to fitness ........of Jon Macken

Ultimately,these are all average,glorified journeymen,so let's see how they do in terms of consistency....
    Fair point Davros. Was disappointed with Lawrence last night. Think Elliot has bundles of ability, despite the fact that he seems injury prone. At the end of the day, these are young lads with a lot of potential. It took the likes of Damien Duff and Stephen Carr some time before they were able to establish themselves as international-class players. Lets give them time.
    With regard to Macken, he has had a good run of games in the City first team this season. Would be nice to see him getting one or two goals, starting with tomorrow!
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Would be nice to see him getting one or two goals, starting with tomorrow!
    He's still injured so won't play tomorrow. Flood will play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Alan Lee, the worst Irish striker I've seen since Mickey Evans. The man is awkward and completely useless, and as Plastic Paddy said, the only reason he is in the squads is because he is an option as a target man......The only thing i'd use him for is target practice! Even Gary Doherty is better than him

Macken and Elliott should definately be in the upcoming squads. A quartet of Keane, Morrison, Elliott and Macken would be much better than the $hite that Lee, Connolly and Doherty currently offer as alternatives. I think Rory Delap should also be seriously considered for a role as a centre forward, very effective at set pieces and when he drops deep.

For the future, you have Flood, McGeady, Stokes and hopefully Best to look forward to, although i'd start to call up McGeady straight away, he's beginning to get goals for Celtic, what have we to lose? I'd rather him than Lee or Connolly.

Haven't been impressed with Liam Lawerence, don't think he is good enough, or in any way better than Steven Reid or Jonathan Douglas for that matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Fair point Davros
    I needed to highlight this. Dav, when's the last time anybody accused you of being fair? It's a bloody scandal, I tells yer...

PP

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from what ive seen of liam lawrence looks real quality what we need on the right. Had a superb game against wolves and if he gets a good run with sunderland could get a call up maybe in feb

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    At the end of the day, these are young lads with a lot of potential.
    David O' Leary eat your heart out (as I say).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    from what ive seen of liam lawrence looks real quality what we need on the right. Had a superb game against wolves and if he gets a good run with sunderland could get a call up maybe in feb
    One fine day doesn't make a summer! Two great goals against Wolves from Lawrence, but Wolves are in a mess with players' confidence shot to pieces.......not much to write home about really. Secondly, any player who is still carrying the dyed blonde Beckham look after all these years needs to examine himself Or get a new bird to point him the right direction!!
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Sorry Zizou, but I reckon the february game will be a warm up for Israel away, not a chance to try out new players, the next time will be the end of season friendlies in June

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barglee
    i reckon the fact that Macken is a premiership player and Lee is a championship player counts for a lot.

look at all the players who've done well in first division but at the end of the day arent up to it at top level.e.g. mark kennedy, david connoly......
    Just for the record...David Connolly has never been given the opportunity to play for a Premiership team.

At the end of the day, judge the player in front of you when he wears the green. Your only concern for the players club career is that he's getting his game. Really, this 'Premiership or bust' attitude really gets up my nerves sometimes.

Obviously, its better for a given player to be playing at a high level of football to hone his skills. But its certainly not the end all and be all. Better to have a fella playing regular first divsion football as opposed to Prem reserve football ala Morrison, at the moment, unfortunately.

By the way, not for a second would I consider Connolly for the current Ireland squad. His track record playing for Ireland has burnt too many bridges already!

SKBIO-TOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Liam Lawrence

He is a player we should get sorted quickly hes a smashing player who gets and sets up his share of Goals and has been touted since his Mansfield days as a future International.

Anyone agree with me on Lee Carsley being one of the in form midfielders in the premiership and that he could still do a job for Ireland in the troublesome right hand side of midfield position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct
    Anyone agree with me on Lee Carsley being one of the in form midfielders in the premiership and that he could still do a job for Ireland in the troublesome right hand side of midfield position.
    He's retired, let it go!
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast