Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Lawrence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Oh, and by the way apro pos nothing, the Stoke defender was sent off because in the middle of their usual referee bashing, the Sky commentators ignored the fact that he lauched in to his tackle with both feet off the ground at one stage. Doesn't matter if he won the ball or the QPR player wasn't in danger. Highly dangerous and illegal.
    Don't agree OF. When he slid in the ball was along the ground and he won the ball with his right foot on the ground. It was only after contact with the ball that his feet rose off the ground., The QPR player only 'arrived' in the tackle after the ball was played by the defender. The red card will almost definitely be rescinded.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    The Griffin type tackle is tolerated in England and the rest of the UK & Ireland but virtually nowhere else.

The crowd here still require the "get stuck in" culture from junior football but almost everywhere else that type of tackle would be at least a yellow. When England play in the finals of major tournaments they fail to appreciate that the emphasis has changed to protecting the player on the ball and encouraging clean but fair tackling. The skill goes out of tackling when players lunge for the ball.

Griffin won the ball cleanly having virtually thrown himself through the air with his studs up. Granted the QPR player wasn't endangered by the tackle but it's a wild lunge nonetheless. It wasn't dissimilar to Hunt's tackle in Prague, where although he clearly withdrew his leg from the tackle, he started with a wild dive at the ball. I defended Hunt on the basis that he took his leg away, Griffin landed short of the ball and stetched further with his studs up to make sure he got it. Yellow in my book with a harsh word that you can't dive at the ball.

Patrick Barclay wrote a good piece (broadly agreeing with OF and me on this point) in today's Sunday Telegraph. He said an ex-international friend of his thought there was nothing wrong with Taylor's tackle from last week. I agree there was no malice but lunges with studs facing up are not tolerated in the better footballing cultures. The "get stuck in brigade" then go and say the usual "but you can't have a game without tackling" which is miles off the real point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a liam lawrence thread, not a red card or not thread.
    Anyway, i hope the lad is in the squads for serbia and columbia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he really deserves a call up he has been excellent this season and i believe keane made a mistake by getting rid, he has massive drive and he would have given sunderland a more dynamic midfield
    We control by attitudes positive mental attitudes not by rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    Don't agree OF. When he slid in the ball was along the ground and he won the ball with his right foot on the ground. It was only after contact with the ball that his feet rose off the ground., The QPR player only 'arrived' in the tackle after the ball was played by the defender. The red card will almost definitely be rescinded.
    Can't resist. I told you so. Stoke captain Andy Griffin has won his appeal against the red card he was given in Sunday's 3-0 defeat at QPR.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    Can't resist. I told you so. Stoke captain Andy Griffin has won his appeal against the red card he was given in Sunday's 3-0 defeat at QPR.
    It is interesting that Tony Pulis said it would have "been touch and go" if an opponent had been near the ball and the player obviously wasn't thinking whether an opponent was near or not - he was just lucky there wasn't one
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I know I bang on about this alot, but one important thing about Lawrence is that not only is he a handy player, but he's big and athletic. That's one reason Kilbane has been so important for us. On the opposite side of the pitch I think Lawrence is a better player and has at least Kilbane's physicality.

Who is a better footballer - Ireland or Lawrence? Ireland I'd say, but I'd be more comfortable with Lawrence playing right midfield because he can handle himself against the big boys.
    We sing from the same hymn sheet.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Lawrence signs new deal at Stoke: http://www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co....269698,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He is top of the Actim index for the Championship by some distance, 80 points,
    which looks quite impressive. I'd say that would probalby put him in the top
    100 for the Premiership.

We seem to be spoilt for choice for midfield players at the moment. We could certainly do with a midfiled player who scores regularly.

http://download.howden.press.net/act...dex_top100.pdf

Also
    Actim monthly award for Februrary (Championship).
    http://www.fansfc.com/stokefootballc...?newsid=182229

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    definitely will be i'd say...if stoke don't go up i reckon someone will sign him anyway

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good player - a viable contender for Irelands' right side of midfield - even if he has been omitted from trapps first squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    I wonder now will he make Traps 28 man squad
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Eh Ciaran I think you just answered your original statement.
    In Trap we trust

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I like how everyone raved about him last season but seem to have no interest in him this year.
    Ah that may be due to the fact that he has been out injured for pretty much all of this season so far.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good article with Lawrence yesterday in the times yesterday, cant seem to find it online. Basically about how he has returned from his freak injury and played a big part in Stokes survival. Expressed his desire to get into the Irish team, mentioned how Pulis cant understand how the guy isnt even in the squad, especially considering his set piece ability from free kicks corners etc.
    Also highlighted the fact that neither Trap, Tardelli or Brady havent been to the Britannia to see Stoke play despite the fact they have 3/4 Irish regularly playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Good article with Lawrence yesterday in the times yesterday, cant seem to find it online. Basically about how he has returned from his freak injury and played a big part in Stokes survival. Expressed his desire to get into the Irish team, mentioned how Pulis cant understand how the guy isnt even in the squad, especially considering his set piece ability from free kicks corners etc.
    Also highlighted the fact that neither Trap, Tardelli or Brady havent been to the Britannia to see Stoke play despite the fact they have 3/4 Irish regularly playing.

yeah i read that. he sounds really enthusiastic about the whole thing so hope he gets a run out in the Nigerian friendly.

Definitely a better option than Keogh on the right.
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    he tripped over his labrador didn't he and fell down the stairs?!

I think he has to be included in the next squad. He's bounced back from his injury and by all accounts has been solid for Stoke on the right hand side. The Trap surely has to have a look at the guy in a training camp and see if he can slot into a role if required down the line. 3 out of the 4 Stoke midfielders were Irish last Saturday. How often does that happen in a top flight league? If anything Stoke play the kind of football the Trap would surely admire. Committed, solid and work hard on set pieces.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    If anything Stoke play the kind of football the Trap would surely admire. Committed, solid and work hard on set pieces.
    and unremittingly ugly...............

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    That drives me mad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    What drives you mad? the sentence construction?
    neither Trap, Tardelli or Brady havent been to the Britannia
    Drives me mad too.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast