0 Posts

Half Irish

Players Partly Irish:

Wayne Rooney
    Andy Cole
    Darren Fletcher
    Kieran Richardson
    Kevin Nolan

And all the ones who already play for ireland (Holland, Morrison, Connolly etc.)

Ive seen a couple of threads about half irish players but none of them can play for us. Hopefully Kerr will call up Nolan. But I must think, do you want a player playing for ireland coz england didnt call him up.

What do ya reckon about Nolan ?
    Last edited by KISS N.O.C; 24/06/2004 at 3:19 PM.
    Growing old is compulsery, but growing up is optional, coz I kissed Noel O'Connor !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS N.O.C
    Players Half Irish:

Wayne Rooney
    Andy Cole
    Darren Fletcher
    Barry Ferguson
    Kieran Richardson
    Kevin Nolan

And all the ones who already play for ireland (Holland, Morrison, Connolly etc.)
    "Half-Irish" would surely imply just one Irish parent, no? Barry bloody Ferguson? (I'm assuming you mean the ex-Rangers captain that also captains Scotland when he's fit...) ANDY COLE???

I only want English players if the supported Ireland when they were growing up (there for play with alot more pride)
    Which by logical extension would in the majority of cases make them Irish, would it not? Do you mean English-born players? There is a crucial difference.

What do ya reckon about Nolan ?
    You can read all about that here.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I only want English players if the supported Ireland when they were growing up (there for play with alot more pride) or unless they are very good or we really need um.
    That's Nolan out the window then. He doesn't support Ireland and we don't need another central midfielder.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most of the players mentioned apart from Fletcher have quite a distant Irish Heritage as far as I'm aware. 3rd Generation at best. A bit hopeful to think these players would consider themselves Irish. Rooney no doubt has Irish ancestry but is very English as his participation in Euro 2004 proves, as is the ex-Rangers Captain Ferguson very Scottish. As for Andy Cole you've lost me there. Since when is he Irish?
    Nolan turned down Ireland underage teams in favour of England so we all know where his loyalties lie.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Andy Cole's granny is irish. Barry Ferguson, yeah i know, maybe 'half irish wasnt the best title, but ferguson does have irish connections. Kieran Richardson (Man Utd.) is half irish.

Ferguson is the only one that shouldnt really be there, but he was legible to play for Ireland.

we could do we with Nolan in the squad
    Growing old is compulsery, but growing up is optional, coz I kissed Noel O'Connor !!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ferguson edited out, and worded ''I only want English players if the supported Ireland when they were growing up (there for play with alot more pride) or unless they are very good or we really need um. '' that differently

Sheridan
    Wouldn't normally bother with threads like this, but I've often wondered what this lad's story is: http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerp...p?PLAYID=16378

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Richardson is half Irish then RMK will be on the case as he was with Fletcher(Irish Ma, I think) but he considered himself Scottish which is a pity but fair enough. Maybe I'm wrong but i was of the opinion that Wayne Rooney was 3rd or 4th generation at best(mute point now anyway).
    Doubt any of these players supported Ireland as a boy.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    Wouldn't normally bother with threads like this, but I've often wondered what this lad's story is: http://www.playerhistory.com/soccerp...p?PLAYID=16378
    Theres a team in Chile called O'Higgins, its named after an Irish (or half Irish) liberator of Latin America. There was another one in the Argentine Navy who beat the Brazilians in the last major naval war there. Also there was an entire legion of Irishmen who fought for Napoleon in La Grande Armee during the Russian campaigns (I'd guess that player would be the consequence of that perhaps).

By my reckoning this should give us the right to claim Marcelo Salas, Walter Samuel, Javier Saviola (well it was an important battle for the Argentines), and Theirry Henry.

I'd prefer it if we had players who wanted to play for us, I dont care if their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Gen. or even if theyve aquired citizenship after living in Ireland for 4 years (tho I cant think of any at the moment who fulfill that). As an aside didnt Quederuerue (the French Middlesboro player try and play for us ?). If they pick us over other countries then its superb (like Aldo), but if they played for England or anyone at u-21 and then want to play for us its fine too. But what I dont like is with people like Nolan who are clearly not going to make it into the England squad, and have been sounded out over playing for us but have responded rather nonchalently (sp - giving the impression they couldnt care either way) I dont like that attitude. Im human tho and if he was a world class player (eg say Deco was Irish) then I'd make an exception for a snotty attitude. If they were arseholes we could always just play them once and screw their international careers.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    I'd prefer it if we had players who wanted to play for us, I dont care if their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Gen. or even if theyve aquired citizenship after living in Ireland for 4 years (tho I cant think of any at the moment who fulfill that).
    Thats wat i was tryin to saybut i couldnt word it properly

Nolan said that he wanted to play internationay whether it be for England, Ireland or Hong Kong

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I notice Rooney attended.

OUR LADY AND ST SWITHIN’S
    CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL

So he hasn't switched to the Church of England yet.