Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Best of luck to the squad, pity the 3 best 19 yr old prospects aren't there. Not calling in McGinty seems a bit harsh. Punished for staying with his club to help them win the FA youth Cup seems excessive. Not sure of the circumstances regarding Brady but if Doolin is telling the truth probably deserves not to be in the squad. Its almost as if Doolin is trying to take a leaf out of Traps book and lay down a marker and make a name for himself. Its like a mirror image of the senior debacle. Its a shame really because in reality results in underage don't matter in my book. While it's nice to win, its about developing players and grooming them for the senior set up. Now we have our 3 best 19 yr old prospects out in the international wilderness. One or two player disputes is perhaps understandable but 3 cries of miss management

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who says they're all disputes? He's had a look at a lot of players and gone with the ones who did the business. Brady, McGinty and Duffy missed the crucial games so shouldn't be automatic picks when the tournament comes around. This is the same reasoning that had us salivating over a midfield of Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Who says they're all disputes? He's had a look at a lot of players and gone with the ones who did the business. Brady, McGinty and Duffy missed the crucial games so shouldn't be automatic picks when the tournament comes around. This is the same reasoning that had us salivating over a midfield of Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid.
    That is a crazy comparison. Brady and McGinty were first choice in the under 19 qualifiers not just this season 2010/11 but also 2009/10 when they were playing a year above their age group. Since then Brady has been on the fringes of the first team squad at utd and played under 21 for ireland and McGinty has played reserve football for utd and won an FA youth cup with utd. Of course these players should be going to the tournament.

Its not Mcgintys fault that the fa youth cup final was on at the same time as the qualifiers. Mcginty is under age next season for under 19 as well. Why does Doolin have to act the hard man just pick the best players that are available. Duffy has subbed up regularly for everton and played under 21 for ireland and been involved with the senior panel but is not good enough for Doolin. Its a joke

Any one know who Kevin Knight has joined he seems to have left Leicester.? He played under 17 this season so has 2 more years under 19 after this tournament.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    How is McEleney not involved he has been excellent for Derry.
    McEleney refused a call up more than once. The first time he withdrew from the first stage qualifiers in circumstance which became controversial, the second time he was on standby and refused a late call up to met in Dublin before a departure to Cyprus.

Doolin is well within the boundaries of managerial rationality to select players who want to play. McEleney is a valuable player for Derry and getting valuable first team football football. In a sense, it's only natural that he feels more bound to his club rather than spend weeks away with the youth team.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    That is a crazy comparison. Brady and McGinty were first choice in the under 19 qualifiers not just this season 2010/11 but also 2009/10 when they were playing a year above their age group. Since then Brady has been on the fringes of the first team squad at utd and played under 21 for ireland and McGinty has played reserve football for utd and won an FA youth cup with utd. Of course these players should be going to the tournament.

Its not Mcgintys fault that the fa youth cup final was on at the same time as the qualifiers.
    It's not the players who replaced them's fault either. Who, exactly, of the defenders who kept 3 clean sheets from 3 in the qualifying tournament should McGinty and Duffy replace? Nobody's acting the hard man. Doolin has shown loyalty to the players who showed up and won qualification for the tournament. Most people would call that admirable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I think it's fair enough, all things considered. Similar to Nigel Worthington's conundrum as NI boss, I don't think the status of dual nationals should dictate such players' selection for fear their sensibilities might be offended by non-inclusion, they take the huff and decide to switch allegiance to another association. Their status can't be allowed to hold managers ransom, if you will, no matter what fans think. The squad should be chosen on merit and it appears that it has been, although it is unfortunate to hear talk of possible player-manager disagreements. And whilst McGinty certainly had good reason to play in an FA Youth Cup final for his club, as CD points out, you can't really punish the players who came in and replaced McGinty. They actually did the job and qualified. Why should they necessarily be dropped?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    If Doolin is suggesting that Shane Duffy does not want to play for Ireland, he would need to get his head checked. This is a kid who faced the wrath of NI fans for switching to the FAI, a kid who nearly died on the pitch playing for Ireland and who worked his ass off to come back from that injury, even helping Doolin's very own U19 squad in the qualification for this tournament and he played for Noel King's U21s after that. Fair enough, the lads he has brought in have performed admirably and should be rewarded, but I don't think it's in any way helpful to publicly criticise and alienate arguably the most talented and highly valued U19 players.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Yeah, the Duffy absence is what disappoints me primarily. Fair enough, if Brady was beyond contact, what can a manager do? And if McGinty chose not to play on a previous occasion with others coming in and doing the job in his place, the replacement has a very sound claim to keeping his place. If Duffy has been left out of this squad and prior squads due to a personal grudge of Doolin's or some disagreement with the manager, it just appears petty on Doolin's and implies a possible failure of man-management. Duffy has never struck me as a Stephen Ireland-type, for example, so it's not like Duffy could be accused of not wanting to play for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Even if Doolin was disappointed by the attitude of Brady and McGinty for not turning up, to voice that disappointment in such an acerbic tone is just stupid and unhelpful. Had he not qualified with the other players, I don't think he'd have been so smug.

Whatever happened between Doolin and Duffy, it should have been dealt with and both parties should move on. But I suppose it's fashionable in Irish management to hold a grudge.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    It's not the players who replaced them's fault either. Who, exactly, of the defenders who kept 3 clean sheets from 3 in the qualifying tournament should McGinty and Duffy replace? Nobody's acting the hard man. Doolin has shown loyalty to the players who showed up and won qualification for the tournament. Most people would call that admirable.
    I am not knocking the players the best of luck to them I will be cheering them on and hopefully we can win the competition. If we compare this side to the 98 side that won the championship it would be the equivalent of leaving out keane, Dunne and Gavin.

This is not club football where you you stamp your authority on things and reward hard graft over a season. This is a one off tournament with the chance to win a title for the country. Showing an 18 year old who you will never manage again who is boss by denying him a chance to win a tournament is petty.

Brady played in an under 17 european championship with cliffords age group 3 years ago and has always played for ireland including this season at under 19 and 21 along with mcGinty and duffy helping them get past the first qualifying round for these championships. That is hardly the act of a kid who does not want to play for ireland. Where is the loyalty there from Doolin?

McGinty and duffy should replace Shaughnessy and Williams who they were ahead of in the first qualifying stage. I doubt many in the squad are happy to see Brady and the others left out as it reduces the opportunity to win the championship. Doolin needs to man manage better and keep the hard man stuff for when he goes back to club football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well I'd say the players who convincingly won their qualification group, spent a couple of weeks together learning the systems and bonding would be the best prepared to win the tournament. You're convinced Doolin is trying to show everyone who's boss but really he's just rewarding form. The Brady situation is different since there appears to be a problem from the player's end.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Well I'd say the players who convincingly won their qualification group, spent a couple of weeks together learning the systems and bonding would be the best prepared to win the tournament. You're convinced Doolin is trying to show everyone who's boss but really he's just rewarding form. The Brady situation is different since there appears to be a problem from the player's end.
    I have to respect your opinion but I cant agree. All I will say is if we were picking on form then McEleney would be a definate. The man is lighting up the league with derry I dont think there is a more gifted footballer in the league. He has also played games for the last 2 months unlike all the others other than Murphy from bray

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's also rejected call-ups in the past in order to play for his club, who have some crucial games coming up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Speaking of Paddy McEleney, his team-mate, James McClean, who seems loyal to the IFA, had this to say to the Derry Journal recently:

“I honestly felt that not just me, but a few of the players at Derry City would have been good enough to be called into the [NI] squad [for the Carling Nations Cup] after so many senior players had dropped out.

“However, the manager opted to select players from Irish League clubs instead. Personally, I believed that Gerard Doherty, Shane and Patrick McEleney, or even myself, had a chance of getting called up as we had been playing well with Derry at the time but we were not considered.”

It's not necessarily a conclusive indication that he'd entertain the idea of a switch, but it would be unfortunate if Paddy McEleney was considering a switch to the IFA. Although, as I've said, such a threat shouldn't force Doolin's hand, nor is it all that relevant considering he also has his club commitments, which are probably a better explanation for his absences.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Speaking of Paddy McEleney, his team-mate, James McClean, who seems loyal to the IFA, had this to say to the Derry Journal recently:

“I honestly felt that not just me, but a few of the players at Derry City would have been good enough to be called into the [NI] squad [for the Carling Nations Cup] after so many senior players had dropped out.

“However, the manager opted to select players from Irish League clubs instead. Personally, I believed that Gerard Doherty, Shane and Patrick McEleney, or even myself, had a chance of getting called up as we had been playing well with Derry at the time but we were not considered.”

It's not necessarily a conclusive indication that he'd entertain the idea of a switch, but it would be unfortunate if Paddy McEleney was considering a switch to the IFA. Although, as I've said, such a threat shouldn't force Doolin's hand, nor is it all that relevant considering he also has his club commitments, which are probably a better explanation for his absences.
    Does add a little to the Worthington regime being part of the problem though.

20. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Up until this comment I could follow your point but to suggest that Williams be dropped for McGinty is beyond belief, he is playing week in week out Villa reserves, he was also outstanding in the elite phase too. It is clear you have not seen this lad play. There is more to selection than individual players, the spirit of the team has to be right too and if there are players there who think they are above certain selections or games then they are definitely going to effect the overall performance. I do not know why these lads are not in but I think that Doolin has already shown enough, by qualifying when the last manager couldn't, that he has the credentials to make the right decisions for the team.

The original qualifying team got through the easiest phase of the tournament, this bunch of lads, bar two new inclusions, got through the elite phases, they beat Italy convincingly and have demonstrated a want and desire to play and succeed. I think it is disrespectful to their achievements to say the best players have been left out of the squad, hopefully they will have the doubters eating their words (as you were when you criticised the selection for the elite phase!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Duffy's dad posted this on ybig.ie: http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts...or-uefa-finals
    shane is a son of mine,i cant talk for robbie or sean but for doolin to talk to the papers and that he [only want people that want to play for ireland in his team] refering to shane is not on,since shane switched to the republic he has loved every minute of it,he has met some of the nicest people in football while given the chance to play there,as far as the FAI are concerned they saved his life for god sake,how can doolin come out with coments like this....if he didnt like shanes style of playing thats fair enough,but to come out and say that shane didnt want to play for ireland is a joke.let me give you e.g of doolin tactics,back in april doolin took the 19s to cyprus for 2 friendlies,remembering this is april and the young lads had a long hard season,he made the lads do bleep tests..for anyone who does not know what that is ,its something players have to go through at the start of pre-season not the end of a season...i will be shouting for the lads all the way and hopefully they do something special and bring it home with them...but as far as doolin talking about shane like that really is not what i would expect from a manager.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    why can't the FAI hire some competent staff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Enjoyed this duo of comments in relation to Brady's omission:

Bizarre and made even more so given Doolin lives about 500 yards from Brady's home in Dublin.
    Brady used to nic-nak+egg his gaff as a kid,blacklisted ever since

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of that of a McEleney switch, think McClean is just pointing out Worthington's continual blind spot when it comes to DCFC players.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast