Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    That doesn't really sound like what he's saying though. He's seems to be suggesting the games themselves are a lot more physical at youth level. There's obviously going to be strenght programmes in a fully professional environment, although I don't really think younger players should be trying to build a lot of muscle while their bodies are still growing.
    From speaking to him, I don't think that's what he meant. Must be my fault for transcribing it that way

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    Pauric Ormsby (Crumlin United) - University of Texas Scorpions
    If I ever go back to a centre of higher learning, that's where I want to go.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    From speaking to him, I don't think that's what he meant. Must be my fault for transcribing it that way
    Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully they can go on and win the tournament.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Duffy's dad seems a total helicopter parent. Doolin's comment was probably laid squarely at Brady and, perhaps, McEleney too. Unless he knows something we don't, Duffy is just not in the team because Doolin is sticking with the winning team.
    That doesn't really explain Duffy's omission from the second qualifying squad that went to Poland, which, from what I've heard, is allegedly down to a previous training ground disagreement. In fact, Duffy was instead included in King's U21s to play Cyprus and was the youngest of that group. Doolin's comment was quite reckless. It was said in the context of questions regarding Brady, McGinty and Duffy and serves to paint them as lacking interest in playing for Ireland. It takes two to tango and I don't believe that it's simply a case of players not wanting to play for Ireland.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    That's true. I mean there'd even be a difference between not wanting to play for Ireland and not wanting to play for Doolin, although there's no suggestion there that Duffy snubbed him or anything.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    as far as I have heard he has been a casualty of the first teams overspending last season, basically, according to a someone I was talking to recently the first team spent a lot last season and they expected to be promoted because that didn't happen the club had to make serious cuts.

He is a good player and a nice lad hopefully he gets somewhere soon

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Welcome.

Any idea why he was released? I thought he had been doing well also.

No, nice trip to have though, enjoy.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faigirl View Post
    as far as I have heard he has been a casualty of the first teams overspending last season, basically, according to a someone I was talking to recently the first team spent a lot last season and they expected to be promoted because that didn't happen the club had to make serious cuts.
    Seems harsh and inconsistent with the way that club are spending money at present, some big signings with more en route and a manager who last week said of the finances that there was no limit, promotion was the goal and all financial resources were available in order to achieve it. Also I believe Leicester redeveloped their training academy recently, spent considerably on that too.

I think maybe more likely the club can now buy answers to its first eleven problems and although two academy lads look like they will be involved with the first team this season, other lads who maybe looked longer odds to make first team players were let go as the club doesnt at present desperately need to develop its talent. Maybe Knight was in that category.

But I hope to see him at a good club soon too.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 09/07/2011 at 3:36 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Seems harsh and inconsistent with the way that club are spending money at present, some big signings with more en route and a manager who last week said of the finances that there was no limit, promotion was the goal and all financial resources were available in order to achieve it.
    That's easy for a Limerick fan to say!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's easy for a Limerick fan to say!
    We are coming CD, we are coming. Soon, Limerick / Shams will be a Premier Division fixture again. Proper order too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    [QUOTE=cestlavie;1506237]

Have to say that nothing surprises me about people who work for FAI.

Overall, the structures are a complete joke. The emerging talent system is a joke. The coaches are also Jokes. The vast majority of the FAI coaches only start snooping about Kennedy Cup teams a number off months before the Kennedy Cup just to be seen to be doing something. [/QUOTE

On a related but not so related topic. I have to agree that those in the FAI (collectively) are a joke. Why so? Well all I have to do is turn on the Copa America and take a look at Chile, Uruguay, Ecuador, Venezuala, all countries with less resources (financially) than Ireland, yet ones who play the game light years ahead of us.

The ball control, the picking of a pass, the movement off the ball. Chile can turn defence into attack with an array of passes that is almost Barcelonaesque.

How did those players get so good? How were they coached as youngsters in comparison to our kids?
    The FAI are responsible for putting the systems in place to coach our kids. But all we produce is hoofball artists. When are things going to change?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Whatever the rights and wrongs of these players inclusion, the role of these managers is also to build long term positive relationships with all players. This seems to be missed and is clearly not evaluated or deemed part of their success criteria (ironic Given it was all Givens claimed!!).

Seems more like who can best mirror a 1950's Jesuit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    On a related but not so related topic. I have to agree that those in the FAI (collectively) are a joke. Why so? Well all I have to do is turn on the Copa America and take a look at Chile, Uruguay, Ecuador, Venezuala, all countries with less resources (financially) than Ireland, yet ones who play the game light years ahead of us.

The ball control, the picking of a pass, the movement off the ball. Chile can turn defence into attack with an array of passes that is almost Barcelonaesque.

How did those players get so good? How were they coached as youngsters in comparison to our kids?
    The FAI are responsible for putting the systems in place to coach our kids. But all we produce is hoofball artists. When are things going to change?
    Basic lesson in economics for that man please. Venezuela is one of the biggest oil producers in the world, for example. Exactly what resources does the FAI (or Ireland) have right now?

The rest of the debate has been conducted elsewhere recently.

Let's have a look at the U19s later in the month and see if anything has changed. I don't think we beat Italy 3-0 by playing hoofball.

I don't think anyone here (pro-, anti- or neatral towards the FAI) wouldn't love to see a more sophisticated football culture here, but easier said than done I reckon. I'm neutral - because I'm reserving opinion until I understand exactly what the development ethos is in Ireland (now, not 5 years ago) and that's why I think a Q&A session with Koevermans would be interesting.

I can't comment on the standard, but this year's LOI is unfolding as a thriller. The teams' forthcoming European games will be interesting to benchmark progress. Remember there are around 10 LOI developed players in or around the national team at this point in time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Kicked off our tournament preview today with Czech Republic:
    http://greenscene.me/2011/07/2011-eu...zech-republic/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    The tournament will be broadcast on Eurosport. Czech Republic vs Ireland airs on saturday 23rd at 5:00pm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    The tournament will be broadcast on Eurosport. Czech Republic vs Ireland airs on saturday 23rd at 5:00pm.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 14/07/2011 at 2:33 PM. Reason: Sorry, two threads open following St. Pats game; posted in wrong one completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    On-topic this attempt, if I'm lucky. I'm guessing our other games will be streamed somewhere even if Eurosport aren't showing them? Do UEFA stream under-age games without commentary on their site? I know FIFA streamed the Irish games from the Under-17 Women's World Cup last year.

I don't suppose RTÉ are bothered. Didn't they broadcast the final live in 1998? I think I remember watching it live anyway with Hamilton commentating.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Effing typical. I leave for holidays at lunchtime on 23rd!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I see England didn't make it to this level.

The betting looks open enough
    3/1 Spain
    13/2 Turkey, Czech rep.
    9/1 Romania, Irl, Belg, Greece
    15/1 Serbia

Spain are also 3/1 to be Euro 2012 champions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Effing typical. I leave for holidays at lunchtime on 23rd!
    1pm?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast