Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: League Cup Details & Results

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    When attendances are recorded, even in official club records, you also have to be wary of the tax avoidance measure of deliberately understating attendance

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    When attendances are recorded, even in official club records, you also have to be wary of the tax avoidance measure of deliberately understating attendance
    Unless something has changed recently, there is no VAT levied on gate receipts in the Republic (whilst there is in the north).

I'm not sure when that began, but there doesn't seem to be any genuine incentive for clubs to understate attendances on tax grounds.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebray View Post
    For FAI Cup matches, they usually reported the "Gate" (amount taken at the gates), but not the crowd numbers, which would have been notional anyway, given habits such as lifting the child over the turnstile &c. But apart from that, the best you'd get is a throwaway remark such as "before a capacity crowd", "in front of a disappointing attendance" and the like.
    Correct. The figures in the newspapers were for the receipts. I remember it was a big crowd at Milltown if the receipts were over £1,000. That was the benchmark. Very few other clubs used to reach that mystical figure.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Correct. The figures in the newspapers were for the receipts. I remember it was a big crowd at Milltown if the receipts were over £1,000. That was the benchmark. Very few other clubs used to reach that mystical figure.
    Dundalk’s match attendance book for the 1980-81 season records receipts of more than £1000 on 18 occasions—and the season average for 25 domestic competitive games was £1,500 while the League games average was £1,750.
    Two games exceeded £4,500: v Limerick (Nov-80) and Athlone (Mar-1981)
    On that basis it is quite likely that over £1000 was not an unusual occurrence during the early McLaughlin era of mid-70s.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orielabu View Post
    Dundalk’s match attendance book for the 1980-81 season records receipts of more than £1000 on 18 occasions—and the season average for 25 domestic competitive games was £1,500 while the League games average was £1,750.
    Two games exceeded £4,500: v Limerick (Nov-80) and Athlone (Mar-1981)
    On that basis it is quite likely that over £1000 was not an unusual occurrence during the early McLaughlin era of mid-70s.
    I was talking about the late 1960s to 1970s. You're talking to someone here who was among the 2nd highest attendance at an FAI Cup Final in 1968 when Rovers beat their then nemesis Waterford 3-0. Only a kid at the time but a day that lives long in the memory.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    A small correction to the data shared originally (three years ago!) when the topic was ancient League Cup results:

The Boss posted on 09/01/2014:
    GROUP E
    07/09/86 Waterford United 0 5 Bray Wanderers

The outcome on that occasion was Waterford 5-0 Bray [Cashin 29, Donnelly 35, 44, Bennett 46, McEvoy 85].

I wouldn't have bothered only that I had to cross-check it to verify my own data.

7. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123