Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like we're getting a new home shirt just in time for the Croatia game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Jonathan Courtenay, the managing director of Umbro Ireland says on YBIG that we'll be wearing this new jersey in Poland and Ukraine, guaranteed: http://www.ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts...2011-12#662939

Just so long as we qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I think its a bit cynical, there is an awareness that people an be pressurised, primarily, through their kids into buying it, its cold. Its all very well to say they should grow up until you have your child pleading with you beacuse his friend has one. Its the deliberate targeting of that which leaves a sour taste, and particularly when parents may not be flush with disposable income just now.

Perhaps thats wide eyed of me, and yes, people can chose not to buy it, but its the manouvering of the target market into that situation which they are vulnerable to because of a love of the team, and their nation, which I feel people are reacting against.
    When I was a kid I wanted plenty of things that my friends had. I was usually told no! I'm glad now I was and I'll be the same with my son if he's demanding something unreasonable. And if he wants a new Ireland jersey every year he'll be told to cop on and be happy with the Euro 88 jersey I've saved for him! New season, new jersey, I see no problem with it and if people can't parent, that ain't Umbro's fault. They're a business. And there's plenty of people who do have money and will have no problem buying the jersey.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shirt has been used for over a year, doesn't that mean it changes less often than any Premier League club's shirt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    So will I be able to buy one with no sponsor on it?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think its a bit cynical, there is an awareness that people an be pressurised, primarily, through their kids into buying it, its cold. Its all very well to say they should grow up until you have your child pleading with you beacuse his friend has one. Its the deliberate targeting of that which leaves a sour taste, and particularly when parents may not be flush with disposable income just now.

Perhaps thats wide eyed of me, and yes, people can chose not to buy it, but its the manouvering of the target market into that situation which they are vulnerable to because of a love of the team, and their nation, which I feel people are reacting against.
    That's absolute over-talked crap.
    If a parent can't handle their kids' wants then that's not umbro's fault.
    My best mate got the 1990 wc shirt when we were 6/7... the first
    Ireland shirt I got was the first umbro one aka the last Charlton one and no amount of pleading was gonna force my mam and dad to create money to get any of the other ones they couldn't afford.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 27/06/2011 at 8:15 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That's absolute over talked ********
    Is that necessary?

I also had one Ireland shirt around the same era and as far as my parents were concerned, that was that box ticked. For good. But its not the same for everyone and peer and social pressures do make people, quite wrongly, feel they need their kids to have these things. And corporate giants ruthlessly tuning into that, especially through loyal sport fanbases, and children, (and it this case a lovely mix of both) is part of modern society I dont really like too much.

I dont feel thats an opinion which deserves an expletive led response, whether you share it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the current shirt has been used for over a year, doesn't that mean it changes less often than any Premier League club's shirt?
    Not quite an accurate of fair comparison Charlie. Ireland don't play in a year on year league for starters. Though arguably an anomaly, they also released a jersey in Feb 2010 when Ireland we're "between competitions" only to re-release it with a new sponsor 6 months later. More interesting and telling would be a comparison with how frequently other international sides of whatever profile renew their strips. I suspect we'd be on the upper end of the arc.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Is that necessary?

I also had one Ireland shirt around the same era and as far as my parents were concerned, that was that box ticked. For good. But its not the same for everyone and peer and social pressures do make people, quite wrongly, feel they need their kids to have these things. And corporate giants ruthlessly tuning into that, especially through loyal sport fanbases, and children, (and it this case a lovely mix of both) is part of modern society I dont really like too much.

I dont feel thats an opinion which deserves an expletive led response, whether you share it or not.
    It didn't and I apologize. Heineken will do that.
    I still don't buy into the whole premise of the big bad multinational corporation are out to cod parents.

At the end of the day the soccer jersey of your national team or any team is a serious luxury and if you can't instill that into your child then its not umbro's fault.

It's too easy to explain away bad parenting as the result of pressure from companies. If its that much of a problem, then turn off tv!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Not quite an accurate of fair comparison Charlie. Ireland don't play in a year on year league for starters. Though arguably an anomaly, they also released a jersey in Feb 2010 when Ireland we're "between competitions" only to re-release it with a new sponsor 6 months later. More interesting and telling would be a comparison with how frequently other international sides of whatever profile renew their strips. I suspect we'd be on the upper end of the arc.
    Right but if it's purely a money thing it doesn't matter how many games the team plays.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    It didn't and I apologize. Heineken will do that.
    Fair enough. Bygones.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i like to get the new 1s to be up to date but then take advantage of swapping the older 1 with away fans as a good gesture and respect

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Right, I've seen it. It does indeed look like an 80s O'neills special.

Will get a pic up as soon as I get home unless someone on ybig beats me to it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Right, I've seen it. It does indeed look like an 80s O'neills special.

Will get a pic up as soon as I get home unless someone on ybig beats me to it.
    Kelvin on ybig got there before you - i've linked to his photo below. Not too impressed with the jersey myself. I think the retro O'Neills one is much nicer.

"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I have to.say its much nicer in the flesh tbh than in pics. Bought my 10 yo bro one and he love it.

Still think the last shirt.is our best since the first umbro in 1996 or the Italia 90 one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    maybe it'll look better without the sponsor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    That '3' logo would nearly have you crying for a return of the 'eircom' blob. It looks kind of strange. Like a Meath gaelic jersey. Which is probably not that surprising considering it seems largely influenced by that O'Neill's one from 1983-84.

Is the jersey now on sale then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Actually, scratch mention of it having been influenced by a Meath GAA jersey; we've clearly just poached a NI jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Of course it will. Unfortunately you or I won't be able to get one without the sponsor.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I wonder is it worth much to the FAI by having the sponsor printed on all replica kits??

If I was in umbro, I be of the opinion that we'd sell alot more of the jerseys if they were without the logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It all depends on the deal signed by the FAI and three.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast