Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway put entire squad up for sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts

Galway put entire squad up for sale

The entire Galway United squad will be for sale during the summer transfer window.

The decision by Galway to put all their professional players up for sale was taken after talks with the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland.

The club is in financial difficulty and will also try to raise funds through a campaign that will get underway in Galway city centre on Saturday with a flag day and continue at the team's next home match against UCD on Friday 1 July.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/...wayunited.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Galway United Jumble Sale!!!

Bric-a-brac, antiques, DVD's, CD's, cakes, professional footballers and much more!!!

Everything must go, £1 an item (ONO).

Starts today and ongoing @ Terryland Park.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

3. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Galway United Jumble Sale!!!

Bric-a-brac, antiques, DVD's, CD's, cakes, professional footballers and much more!!!

Everything must go, £1 an item (ONO).

Starts today and ongoing @ Terryland Park.
    Only £1 for a DVD? Looks to have cost them a lot more than that...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Although there are some great people involved with the running of GUFC now, it's difficult to see how they can recover from the mess that Leeson made of them.

According to a GU poster on this site recently- when he left the club owed €1 million but they've discovered another €188k since he left that hadn't been recorded. Some of the horror stories I've heard are incredible, well, incredible until you remember that it's Nick Leeson you're talking about.

I hope they can turn it round, but history tells us they may be better to just fold at the end of the season and start again in D1 next year.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Although there are some great people involved with the running of GUFC now, it's difficult to see how they can recover from the mess that Leeson made of them.

According to a GU poster on this site recently- when he left the club owed €1 million but they've discovered another €188k since he left that hadn't been recorded. Some of the horror stories I've heard are incredible, well, incredible until you remember that it's Nick Leeson you're talking about.

I hope they can turn it round, but history tells us they may be better to just fold at the end of the season and start again in D1 next year.
    Nick Leeson accused of covering up losses ? wow,who would have guessed ? Reminds me of a film I saw, what was it called......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Nick Leeson accused of covering up losses ? wow,who would have guessed ? Reminds me of a film I saw, what was it called......
    As great warlord George Bush say, "Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."
    You can't spell failure without FAI

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Do Galway actually think clubs will pay for their players? Or are they just looking to get them off the wage bill?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    It baffles me how a club can be so criminally mismanaged, that it runs up a debt to the tune of over two years' turnover. Equally baffling is the fact that anyone would extend any sort of credit to a League of Ireland club, when the clubs who have at some point defaulted on their debts are looking like they'll soon outnumber those who haven't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    The actual statement.

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/galway-...22nd-june-2011

Galway United Statement

Wednesday, 22 June 2011 12:19

Following discussion with the Football Association of Ireland and the Professional Footballers Association of Ireland, Galway United confirm that all professional players at the club will be available when the summer transfer window opens.

Galway United would like to thank our players, supporters, sponsors and the Galway FA for their support and patience over the past few weeks. The club has put a summer fundraising campaign in place which we expect will help us out of our current difficult financial situation.

The fundraising campaign will commence this Saturday, June 25th, with a Flag Day in Galway city centre. We ask for the support of the Galway public this Saturday, and at our next home match against UCD on Friday 1st July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Aside from Karl Moore and possibly Sean Maher, anyone here worth having??

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A
    Whatever about the alledged unrecorded, can I (yet again) ask, where was the feckin licencing process in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Equally baffling is the fact that anyone would extend any sort of credit to a League of Ireland club, when the clubs who have at some point defaulted on their debts are looking like they'll soon outnumber those who haven't.
    Clubs that own grounds are sitting on asset. They can't walk away as easily, or at least not to the extent those clubs that rent grounds can.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We havent walked away from Anything maybe that's where we went wrong.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Is your hero Sean Connor up for sale? I'd say a load of clubs would be interested in getting the services of such a great man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Clubs that own grounds are sitting on asset. They can't walk away as easily, or at least not to the extent those clubs that rent grounds can.
    I thought Terryland was owned by the Galway League, or something, not by United.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I thought Terryland was owned by the Galway League, or something, not by United.
    Your right. Thats why Mervue where allowed use it also and at a cheaper rate than Galway Utd too I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Maroon View Post
    On a seriouis note best of luck to all involved in fundraising initiative at Galway (yes,even after they cost us last seasons League ). Difficult time to be chasing money but I am sure it wont fail for lack of effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    you couldnt get it any cheaper than Mervue got it allegedly.I dont think Macy was having a pop at us there.From Talking to other clubs everyone is feelin the pinch some like ourselves more than others. All we as supporters can do is try to run succesfull Fundraisers to try and make up the shortfall in our gates and sponsorship which has dried up completely in the economic situation we find ourselves in.

There are no money men with deep pockets on our MC although some have dug deep.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Always like Galway. Smashing facility they have there. Hope it works out for them. Funnilly enough I got a good vibe off the place last night, even though they'd lost 13 or so on the trot and thee crowd was poor enough. Everyone I dealt with from the club (ticket sellers, programme sellers, those on the gate etc) seemed in good form. I guess the burden of trying to stay up is gone and now they can concentrate on saving the club

(Oh and No 10 last night, I think his name was Gilmore?, looked very useful)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    This appears worse than I first thought. I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about a LOI club saying any of their players can leave, but if the rumours about more debts turning up is true then I fear for the club.

The two times I've seen Galway this season they've looked like a poorly-coached outfit with a mixture of very good and very poor players. Moore, Maher and a defender whose name escapes me looked very handy, but it's hard for good players to rise about a team that's not functioning as a unit. I'll wish them all the best though - Galway have always contributed positively to the league.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Aside from Karl Moore and possibly Sean Maher, anyone here worth having??
    Shaun Kelly who was with us before he went to them was impressive with us and many fans where sad to see him depart.
    Not sure how good he has been doing with them, but he is a good right back.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast