Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway put entire squad up for sale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    This appears worse than I first thought. I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about a LOI club saying any of their players can leave, but if the rumours about more debts turning up is true then I fear for the club.

The two times I've seen Galway this season they've looked like a poorly-coached outfit with a mixture of very good and very poor players. Moore, Maher and a defender whose name escapes me looked very handy, but it's hard for good players to rise about a team that's not functioning as a unit. I'll wish them all the best though - Galway have always contributed positively to the league.
    Stephen Walsh probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    Shaun Kelly who was with us before he went to them was impressive with us and many fans where sad to see him depart.
    Not sure how good he has been doing with them, but he is a good right back.
    He's been terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    In spite of last season and how they messed our title challenge, I wish Galway the best in their financial troubles. Galway is a growing city and we need a club like Galway United for general interest in LOI football in that area(no offence to Salthill or Mervue).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Aside from Karl Moore and possibly Sean Maher, anyone here worth having??
    Their keeper Greg Fleming seems decent enough.

Feel sorry for the club, their fans and GG, but not the manager.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    This is a sad day in the Loi in gereral that a club can be let run so badly over the last 2 years and let get away with it by the so called license dept of the FAI ---unless its to do with traps senior squad they realy dont care about soccer in this country ,not saying united arent to blame but its the same every year as clubs struggle to keep going without major help from head office in abbotstown unless they wake up there are a number of other clubs not too far from folding also.!! and senior soccer in this country will continue on its slippery slope ---oh and having 3 clubs in Galway is a complete and utter diaster which hasen't helped and is one of the reasons why the FAI have reasons to answer
    Last edited by Guitd; 22/06/2011 at 4:30 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    This is a sad day in the Loi in gereral that a club can be let run so badly over the last 2 years and let get away with it by the so called license dept of the FAI ---unless its to do with traps senior squad they realy dont care about soccer in this country ,not saying united arent to blame but its the same every year as clubs struggle to keep going without major help from head office in abbotstown unless they wake up there are a number of other clubs not too far from folding also.!! and senior soccer in this country will continue on its slippery slope ---oh and having 3 clubs in Galway is a complete and utter diaster which hasen't helped and is one of the reasons why the FAI have reasons to answer
    Why though? Salthill and Mervue both earned their places fairly in the league. The FAI can hardly turn around and say no to them applying just because theres already a league team in Galway. It's not ideal but I don't see what the FAI have done wrong in this situation.

7. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

The main thing

is the club itself survives. . Not a huge amount is outstanding to professional players and the pressure has come on from 2 particular players who are owed wages of some get this €300 between the 2. Terrible for those players but facts have to be faced and the next ten year plan is based on being honest (naive in irish football speak). The club survives above all else.

The team is not performing, im amazed 500 galwegians are still turning up. We have scored the mighty tally of 3 home goals in the league.

the 3 clubs affects us for the sponsorship pool only and has had a minor 7 to 8% impact in that area.
    Even after all those defeats our crowds are double the other 2 put together and half their crowds are made up of gufc anoraks

Its a ten year project, dismantling and repair stage have only begun. Support us on our forum or our flag day.
    Tomorrow is a new day and new way
    Thanks to the posters here and the Loi Followers for your support. This matters you understand the game and the issues
    Last edited by geezer; 22/06/2011 at 6:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    Why though? Salthill and Mervue both earned their places fairly in the league. The FAI can hardly turn around and say no to them applying just because theres already a league team in Galway. It's not ideal but I don't see what the FAI have done wrong in this situation.
    They invited them both into the A Championship, ahead of clubs from the rest of the country.

Mervue and Salhill are not the problem though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayRed View Post
    what i ment was FAI dont seem to support clubs increasing attendances etc.. lets stand back and look at towns/cities the size of sligo/galway/limerick/cork /waterford struggling to get 1000 people through the turnstiles how can it be viable to run pro soccer ,no other country in europe get crowds as small as that to their premier league clubs ,somethings not been done right here and its needs to be addressed from the top down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Good luck to Galway United and fans in all this. I spent a few years in Galway in college and on the occasions i didnt travel back for Dalyer games i would attend Galways home games so I have a soft spot for you. The problem then was mainly getting a connect between the club and the people of the city. For some reason, it has always been a problem and obviously still is.

I wish you the best in pulling through this. And advertise your fundraisers on here, ill help if i can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    So from "the best run club in Ireland" in 2006 to this. The five-year plan was to become the laughing stock of the league was it? Well done on getting there.

The way Galway went up was an absolute joke. People may think I'm bitter but only for Colin Scanlan's late goal we might still be down in the First Division while this joke of a club are still in the Premier.

I for one am not sad to see Galway in their current state. Go make another DVD and see how far you get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    So from "the best run club in Ireland" in 2006 to this. The five-year plan was to become the laughing stock of the league was it? Well done on getting there.

The way Galway went up was an absolute joke. People may think I'm bitter but only for Colin Scanlan's late goal we might still be down in the First Division while this joke of a club are still in the Premier.

I for one am not sad to see Galway in their current state. Go make another DVD and see how far you get.
    do you reckon?

Have people not learnt yet not to laugh at other teams misfortunes in this league? I have the hard way. It wasnt long ago i was laughing at Shels and Rovers on their way down - now look at Bohs. Almost all clubs are only one missed payment away from disaster. We are a small community of headcases following this league, we should and can support each other within reason off the pitch.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    what i ment was FAI dont seem to support clubs increasing attendances etc.. lets stand back and look at towns/cities the size of sligo/galway/limerick/cork /waterford struggling to get 1000 people through the turnstiles how can it be viable to run pro soccer ,no other country in europe get crowds as small as that to their premier league clubs ,somethings not been done right here and its needs to be addressed from the top down
    Wrong and a simple check on the net wud have shown that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I suppose with Mervue and Salthill it is a case that they just had a great set up it's just unfortunate they're from the same county. I can understand why the FAI would want clubs like that in the league set up though. As for the crowds I do agree that a club like Galway United should be able to pull in crowds between 2-3000 but I think Nick Leeson put pay to that.
    I've just come out of 3 years of college in Galway and I did go to quite a few matches when Shels weren't playing or I couldn't get to Tolka. I've grown a liking for the club and GUST seem to be doing everything they can to keep the club going and I really hope the club pulls through. I think relegation is fairly likely but at least the first division would offer a chance to rebuild. Also I don't think my mate would be too happy if I had got him supporting a club that folded 2 years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    do you reckon?

Have people not learnt yet not to laugh at other teams misfortunes in this league? I have the hard way. It wasnt long ago i was laughing at Shels and Rovers on their way down - now look at Bohs. Almost all clubs are only one missed payment away from disaster. We are a small community of headcases following this league, we should and can support each other within reason off the pitch.

Couldnt have said it better Sku. Unless the clubs starting working together and force the FAI into sorting out the mess that is the LOI the whole thing will collapse. I have many good friends involved with other clubs and everyone of them is worried about the future of their own clubs and sweeping these problems under the carpet is only making it worse.

We have gone through horrendous time since October trying to keep the show on the road and the people involved have dug deep into their own pockets to keep things going but unfortunately we are not money men just genuine fans trying to keep the club we love alive and its hard to see people gloating over it thats not why I started going to LOI Games long before we had a team of our own.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post

Jeez LW dont hold back!! I am still baffled at the con job Lesson pulled on the ILC in 2006 but let it go. If, buts, and maybes, we are in the Premier Division regardless. Look at the reports on Dundalkfc.com re our finances and potential difficulties that lie ahead! Finger pointing is not a good idea in this league from Shamrock Rovers to Harps.
    It should be noted that Gerry Mathews did propose to all league clubs to come to some consensus on the financial issues facing the league and some sort of co-operation to tackle things on a league wide basis. He was dismissed out of hand by some of the larger clubs that have since had their troubles.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/06/2011 at 7:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Who are Galway to complain about Salthill and Mervue being invited into the A Championship they never fairly earned the right to be in the Prem so can have no complaints about anyone being in a league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    do you reckon?

Don't worry, Galway will be fine. Something similar to below and they might be given the league title this time.

Sorry, but when it comes to Galway, they can go do one. As far as I'm concerned, 2006 won't be forgotten until they're relegated and earn their place in the Premier Division on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    They were invited because the FAI didnt have enough teams for the sooper dooper A League and they were begged to go into with promises of gifts from the top table. I wonder how other clubs would feel if Pike,Ballynanty, Drogheda Town,Waterford Bohs,Calry Celtic,Carbury,College Corinthians or Rock Celtic were allowed into the league.

The great idea was to have the loi club as the top of the pyramid in Cities other than Dublin so that all the best young players would play for their local team but that went out the window in Galways case and even people within the FAI know this was a crazy decision that helps none of the 3 clubs involved.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    They were invited because the FAI didnt have enough teams for the sooper dooper A League and they were begged to go into with promises of gifts from the top table. I wonder how other clubs would feel if Pike,Ballynanty, Drogheda Town,Waterford Bohs,Calry Celtic,Carbury,College Corinthians or Rock Celtic were allowed into the league.

The great idea was to have the loi club as the top of the pyramid in Cities other than Dublin so that all the best young players would play for their local team but that went out the window in Galways case and even people within the FAI know this was a crazy decision that helps none of the 3 clubs involved.
    It makes it more awkward when it comes to signing local players maybe but actually hitting gates what affect have Mervue and Salthill had on Galway Utd? None I'd say or very minimal. Maybe 40 to 50 people at most between both clubs.

3 teams is a lot to come from one county outside of Dublin alright and if lets say Mervue and Salthill where averaging 300 to 500 people, only then they might have an affect I think.

To bring them even into this situation is pretty much a non runner I would think and all the problems are down to previous mismanagement.

Hopefully at the very worst it will only mean Galway have to restart in the first division.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 22/06/2011 at 7:58 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The worry I'd have is that both Salthill and Mervue have really good underage structures, but surely having a senior LOI team diverts resources away from those because the senior teams are hardly profitable on their own.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast