Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap contract?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Trap contract?

There was alot of stuff in the papers over the wkd about Traps last press conference after the Italy game where the topic of a new contract with the FAI was brought up. Trap has indicated he wants to stay and more or less said the ball is in the FAIs court. He also more or less said that if another club/country comes into for him, he would need to consider it.

From what I can gather, opinion on here is divided about Trap. Some are very happy with him, believe in the system, its getting results. Others hate the system and style we play irrespective of the outcome.

Considering the success over the last few weeks, whats the mindset like now? Should we wait until after the campaign to look at renewing a contract, thereby running the risk that he is snapped up by some other association or club? Or should we reward his progress now, the squad/team appear to be developing all the time and accepting the system that he wants the team to play.

There is also talk that money from D O'Brien isnt as forthcoming this time around, that he is not willing to stump up the cash unless Trap delivers qualification, so all in all it is looking like it will be end of the campaign one way or another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'm very worried that the FAI will dither over this and equally concerned at the prospect of losing the only manager since McCarthy who is showing clear signs of bridging the gap between 'team in transition', to a content, confident squad with multiple decent options in most positions. We're getting results. Our away form is excellent. The emphasis on playing for pride and the privilage of wearing the green jersey is slowly returning.

For the first time years there is evidence of a team that is developing into a formidable outfit. Trap spoke of the job as a project and has said that his work is not finished. I fully believe that this is the case, that there is a lofty point to which Trap is aspiring to bring this team - unlike Staunton's ambiguous 'four year plan'. I'm delighted that he wants to lead us to the World Cup (also, remember he did turn down the opportunity to lead a fairly decent Nigeria squad at the World Cup and turned it down) and I think with the current momentum and sense of stability that he is the man for the job.

Some say the style of football is poor - fair enough, but it is getting results for the most part. Second half in Macedonia was awful to watch but boy I celebrated the result that night.!

In my opinion, Trap did everything he could to get us to the WC last year, only for certain events in Paris to deny us.When the World Cup draw is made next month, I'm confident that we are the third seed team that everybody would prefer to avoid.

We have made major progress since the basket case regime that was the Staunton era. Kerr's tenure was less traumatic but largely unsuccessful. Trap is taking us in the right direction and that is clear to see. I'd give him the contract he wants in the morning, although he and Tardelli have to appreciate that the FAI are cash-strapped and €2 million-odd a year isn't a runner this time round. I doubt this would be a major hurdle during negotiations however.

Trap In!
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 13/06/2011 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    I'd hope that the FAI will have learned from giving Mick McCarthy an extension to his contract before the 2002 world cup (or was it a new contract? can't remember)
    If we do qualify, then extend Trapattoni's contract to Euro 2012, and then offer a new contract based on the performance at the finals.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    No contracts should be awarded until the end of the campaign. Only then should the merits or otherwise of continuing with Trap be considered.

I'm more in favour than against, at this point in time. A while back I said I was 60/40 in favour. I'm more like 70/30 now. 10 points from 12 will probably increase my approval rating further, regardless of whether it's enough to get us to the Euros.

Salary should be €400k or thereabouts, plus a €2 million qualification bonus for WC14. That's plenty of incentive, and the guy doesn't need the money in the meantime.

Just for the record, I think many of the old criticisms of "lazy, conservative Trap" don't hold much water anymore.

He clearly knows the pool of players available to him (Hoolahan is the only realistic gripe perhaps)
    He has called up many new players in the last 12 months
    We now have credible options in most positions

Other stuff like the style of play is potentially worthy of criticism, but if results justify the means, that's fine by me. We'll know this by year-end.

Communication has been poor, but I think he's handled the "no shows" quite well and maybe James McCarthy has been more to blame all along than we thought a few months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'd hope that the FAI will have learned from giving Mick McCarthy an extension to his contract before the 2002 world cup (or was it a new contract? can't remember)
    If we do qualify, then extend Trapattoni's contract to Euro 2012, and then offer a new contract based on the performance at the finals.
    Ireland's performance during the qualifying campaign and playoffs (and, subsequently in the finals) merited McCarthy getting a new/extended contract. It was the unprecedented debacle in Saipan that led to McCarthy's demise. The way he was treated by some quarters in Autumn '02 was disgraceful and contributed greatly to the dip in team morale and confidence, and subsequently the two defeats that spelled his end, I believe. However, the chances of similar events occuring again are highly unlikely. Mick being awarded an extension prior to the WC was absolutely the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 13/06/2011 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Why would they want to extend him before seeing if they make it to the Euro's? Even if we lose in a playoff again no one will really want him to stay as manager. Or maybe some people will. But he would be out.

Lets see how this News Of The World stuff plays out too.
    Last edited by Crosby87; 13/06/2011 at 11:48 AM.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Sounds quite a lot like Capello, Italian manager gets a run of results, asks for a new deal, British/Irish FA offers new contract. Results start to go pear-shaped? Don't know, but if I was in charge of managers' contracts at the FAI I would wait until after the qualification campaign to reward him with a new deal.

That said, I do think Trappatoni is doing an excellent job for the Republic, and look on enviously at the way he has made you difficult to beat. If he gets you to the European Championships you'd be mad to get rid of him irrespective of whether the football is pretty. We've had six years of pretty football under Toshack, Flynn and now apparently Speed, but it just hasn't brought results.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

8. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    dont renew unless were through,

yes he has brought a discipline to the team but results are the end game. we are a team capable of qualifying so why reward failure. he imitates offers elsewhere, what the worst if he goes the squad will stay the same despite a few retirements (hurry up kilbane). Tardelli will come in and probably be cheaper and same ethics and team method. if not hughton ainta bad manager, done very well for kerr who just made bad decisions( rely on gary doherty).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Was Hughton not complicit in making those bad decisions? His ear was never far from Kerr's mouth on the touchline.

We never "relied" on Gary Doherty, did we? We used him as a last resort many times. He came good in Georgia.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dotts101 View Post
    dont renew unless were through,
    dead right anything other than qualificain from this group cannot be deemed a success

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    Sounds quite a lot like Capello, Italian manager gets a run of results, asks for a new deal, British/Irish FA offers new contract. Results start to go pear-shaped? Don't know, but if I was in charge of managers' contracts at the FAI I would wait until after the qualification campaign to reward him with a new deal.

That said, I do think Trappatoni is doing an excellent job for the Republic, and look on enviously at the way he has made you difficult to beat. If he gets you to the European Championships you'd be mad to get rid of him irrespective of whether the football is pretty. We've had six years of pretty football under Toshack, Flynn and now apparently Speed, but it just hasn't brought results.
    Cheers Cymro, always good to get an outside perspective. Hard to disagree with any of the above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    I think things may become a lot clearer after July 30th. The WC draw will have a huge influence. If we draw Spain and France, Trap may well cool on contract talks and may start to court interest from other prospective employers.

I, like others, am of the opinion that we should wait till the end of the campaign before making any decision but differ in the criteria on which he should be offered a new contract. It has been mentioned if we qualify, his contract should be merely extended for 9 months until Euro 2012 and then assessed again after that. I disagree. If we qualify, I think he should be given the backing of the FAI for the next two years, irrespective of what may follow at the Euros. Considering we would almost certainly be 4th seeds at the Euros, he should not be judged on that premise, but rather rewarded on getting us there.

I also think the contract being/not being awarded solely on the basis of qualification is arbitrary. I think there should be an objective assessment at the end of the campaign, taking into account: points tally, playoff outcome (if arises) and most importantly if we decide to let Trap go, the FAI must have a credible and attainable candidate in their mind, that will be better than what we have now.

It's that final criteria that I worry about. Last time the names of people actually putting their name forward (as opposed to names approached), was pathetic. Arie Haan, Howard Kendall, Phillipe Trousier and the rest of international management merry-go round. I think people should be very wary of the fact that the grass will not always be greener on the other side.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I'd give him a new 2 year contract now. We've been lacking international stability in recent years, and replacing your manager every (other) campaign helps nobody. The squad have really bonded under Trap, and know exactly what's expected. Sure, he's made mistakes, but he's tried to overcome them (like having Manuela actually do her job instead of him making easily-misconstrued statements when speaking in English). Most importantly though, he's got the best out of some average players. Everyone talks about the great squad depth we have now, but we probably always had it to a similar level, it's just nobody else could get the backups to do so well. Trap can. He's a superb manager, and if we got rid of him, who could we get? Some washed-up no hoper whose last job was managing Tunisia?

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Just as an aside, ESPN Class showed a re-run of the 1970 WC Final last week. When Italy lost the ball everyone just ran back, formed two lines across the pitch and let Brazil do what they wanted as long as it was no less than 30 yards from goal. It was quite funny actually, especially having just watched Ireland do it to Italy.

I stopped watching when it was still 0-0. Who won anyway?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Tardelli, would take over and continue what Trap is doing and probably at a cheaper rate. Im not saying im against a renewal for Trap, he is doing a good job considering our resources and his refusal to but some half rate players in the squad(keogh, mcshane and kilbane(loyalty only) to name but a few). he does have them play for the jersey and taht is what you want. but what is it he doing that tardelli wont be able to continue, should he leave for more money.

As for my gary doherty comment, we often would start him in games, yes effective for final 10minutes when reverting to route 1, but he was awkward on the ball and often that was the only plan b, yes a hero in georgia but really should he of gained 33caps?

Hughton is a good coach and yes complicit but he has grown as a manager now and can set up a team with discipline.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    what the worst if he goes the squad will stay the same despite a few retirements (hurry up kilbane)

some half rate players in the squad... and kilbane(loyalty only)
    yes, because we have so much strength in depth we can do without a left back of his experience. 110 caps and 66 competitive games in a row and still he is an easy target. when someone proves they can do a better job than him in a competitive match then he can move aside but for now he is an important part of our squad. the only reason he is still involved is loyalty?? give me a break

its only when trap is gone that some will fully appreciate what we have with him in charge

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    There's at least 2 issues here:

1) Who is the right man for the job
    2) The timing of awarding the contract

I think Trapp has proven that he is still the man for the job and past experience should dictate that the awarding of the contract should take place at the end of this campaign with a view to remaining in charge for next world cup.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Tardelli, would take over and continue what Trap is doing and probably at a cheaper rate. Im not saying im against a renewal for Trap, he is doing a good job considering our resources and his refusal to but some half rate players in the squad(keogh, mcshane and kilbane(loyalty only) to name but a few). he does have them play for the jersey and taht is what you want. but what is it he doing that tardelli wont be able to continue, should he leave for more money.
    Have you seen Tardelli's managerial track record? The only reason we should be letting Trap go, if thats what it comes to, is to replace him with someone better. Tardelli simply does not fit that job spec. Sammy Lee was assistant during a very successful era at Bolton, but that didn't make him a competant manager.

As for your Kilbane chat ... in my experience, it's only ever the barstoolers that come out with that rubbish.
    Last edited by French Toasht; 14/06/2011 at 1:30 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Just for the record, I thanked dotts for responsing directly to my Doherty / Hughton query, rather than leaving it in the ether like many have done when I have previously queried Hughton's compliance / complicity with Kerr's decisions. I am a huge admirer of Kilbane, and don't agree one jot with dotts' sentiments on that front.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    not a barstooler at every home game except maybe a handful for the last 15years. stephen ward is viable left back option constant with wolves, greg cunnigham decent for future unlucky injury. john o shea can play there and open up rite full for coleman. ciaran clark done good job against wales i think it was albeit wales are very poor.

i applaud the work and service of kilbane but he is playing for huddersfield, he arguably cost us qualification against bulgaria home and away. he isnt as strong as used to be, only way of having a replacement is by giving him a chance.

fair point on tardelli, i presume he just carry on the ideals of trap. who else is there then to replace, o leary? john sheridan? remember mccarthy came from millwall and did good job. not saying give it to him but who else?

27. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast