Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: LOI Newbies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

LOI Newbies

Would it be an idea for clubs to have a section for "first time" supporters, so they'd feel like they have somewhere to go, maybe a couple of supporters club people could go and mingle with them, tell them who the players are, how the team are doing, and the like, make them feel welcome. It's not as if there's a shortage of space in LOI grounds!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I would suggest that a free programme be given to newbies. The players names will be on it and a league table. If more clubs had squad numbers players could be spotted easier by those who are unfamilliar. I'm not sure a specific section is neccesary, people might feel uncomfortable there. Football is a simple game it can be understood easily whereas something like horse racing is different whereby first timers might need to be shown how to put a bet on etc. In principle its a good idea though.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    I would suggest that a free programme be given to newbies. The players names will be on it and a league table. If more clubs had squad numbers players could be spotted easier by those who are unfamilliar. I'm not sure a specific section is neccesary, people might feel uncomfortable there. Football is a simple game it can be understood easily whereas something like horse racing is different whereby first timers might need to be shown how to put a bet on etc. In principle its a good idea though.
    Yeah, not sure why more clubs don't use squad numbers, because they do make things a lot easier. Before my first Bray game I actually studied like it was a test, so I'd know who the players were! And I'm still absolutely crap on opposition players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    To be honest, the idea of segregating "newbies", with their own overseers and everything, sounds slightly patronising to me. When can they divest themselves of this status? End-of-season exams on club facts?

And I'd imagine it's more costly for clubs to designate squad numbers rather than dish out generic squad jerseys numbered from 1 to 16 or whatever every week. Every penny counts in this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    To be honest, the idea of segregating "newbies", with their own overseers and everything, sounds slightly patronising to me. When can they divest themselves of this status? End-of-season exams on club facts?
    I'd have thought it'd be whenever they felt like it. It'd be more of an optional place you could go if you were new to watching the club and wanted to ease yourself in gently, not somewhere the club would corral anyone who can't name the starting XI from that tricky away trip to Newcastlewest in 1988.

And I'd imagine it's more costly for clubs to designate squad numbers rather than dish out generic squad jerseys numbered from 1 to 16 or whatever every week. Every penny counts in this game.
    You're probably right. It'd still be something that could help, and probably wouldn't cost much more, if anything, if the club only assigned proper squad numbers to the first, say, 20 people, and then had maybe 5 more shirts just on rotation in case any new players were called up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    City have a family enclousure in the donie forde stand. The people involved in it do a fantastic amount of work , especially on matchnights to make the City experience
    Many parents bring their kids here to sample their first live game of football at the cross in a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Terrible idea, It's not like when you stand in a certain section of the ground people start asking you random question to see how long you have supported the club, It doesn't matter weather it's your first game or 500 game, no one cares
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    It's not like when you stand in a certain section of the ground people start asking you random question to see how long you have supported the club, It doesn't matter weather it's your first game or 500 game, no one cares
    Agree with this. I've never seen (and can't even begin to imagine) a first-time visitor to a LOI ground getting any kind of hassle from anybody because they were new. Even with Limerick's low crowd numbers, I'd have no clue whether most of those in attendance were there for the first time or were seasoned veterans. And even if I did know, I wouldn't care.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    New fans feel detached enough without puting them by themselves.

A mate of mine was talking about going to games a few years back and as he's a football fan I would keep at him to go. He would always say that one thing that really put him off is that he wont know any of the players names. So I told him buy a programme and try and pick out players names from it, which he did. Cant keep him out of the place now.

As someone has said, squad numbers are a great idea. People can get to know players fairly quick and it makes them connect a bit more to a team. A free programme as someone has said would def help.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'd have no clue whether most of those in attendance were there for the first time or were seasoned veterans
    Generally, newbies are shocked at refereeing decisions*, regular fans are angry, and seasoned veterans just sigh

For refereeing decisions you can read performances/level of football/managerial idiocy/weather/state of hot food/toilets/lack of respect from own team depending on who you follow
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    It sounds like a great idea, apart from the segregating thing but everything else sounds like a good idea, the free program would be great for new comers only thing is how do the club know there a newbie? you could have people getting programs every week for nothing. Limerick where playing us on Saturday and they had squad numbers and names on the Jersey and while I'm good with names I know people who have been going for years and dont know our own players names never mind the opposition so it would be a win win situation and it makes us look that little bit more professional too, It could also help clubs make a little bit of money as you could sell your jerseys with star players names on them for a bit extra, i thought we should have done that with Gillespie but just an idea.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.