Thread: Sexuality, learned or innate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

Sexuality, learned or innate?

[MOD EDIT: Split from here.]

Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I'm thinking horse, bolted, stable, door, close. He can't help himself on some subjects, it's pure ego and arrogance, which is a mark of his goodness as a person, academic and debater, however he dug his own grave. Criticising a religious institution for it's views on lifestyle choice is nuts. Especially in modern Ireland. And pederasty - David, let it go. You need to lighten up and do a Father Ted (anyone think of the Chienese episode and the local bigot lady?)
    Homsexuality is hardly a lifestyle choice. And the catholic church shouldn't be immune to criticism of its medieval view of morality just because it's a religious organisation.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Homsexuality is hardly a lifestyle choice. And the catholic church shouldn't be immune to criticism of its medieval view of morality just because it's a religious organisation.
    I agree about a religious organisation being open to criticism, especially non-emotive and constructive. However the "western" media seems happy to slam the head of religious organisations (like RC, COE, Lutheran) yet they baulk at going after far worse policies and abuses related to (for example) Islam. Of course you won't get knived or shot to death by the Legion Of Mary, therefore I will always look at the reasoning behind attacks on any religious organisation. David Norris waxed lyrical about pederasty in North Africa, yet much there is pure and utter child abuse with young, impoverished boys sent to schools where even the worst CB's would feel unwell.

Maybe it's only my view, though I do see one's sexuality as a lifestyle choice, otherwise you're into the realm of "born that way", which means that you can be born bad, born mad. I have yet to see a fully qualified and conclusive argument that ones sexuality is genetically predetermined. It's not an offence to anyone, people are people and if they can find love and are not hurting others or themselves, then it's a great thing.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Maybe it's only my view, though I do see one's sexuality as a lifestyle choice, otherwise you're into the realm of "born that way", which means that you can be born bad, born mad.
    It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment. Sexual orientation is therefore not a choice, though sexual behaviour clearly is.
    http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Submiss...%20England.pdf

5. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I agree about a religious organisation being open to criticism, especially non-emotive and constructive. However the "western" media seems happy to slam the head of religious organisations (like RC, COE, Lutheran) yet they baulk at going after far worse policies and abuses related to (for example) Islam. Of course you won't get knived or shot to death by the Legion Of Mary, therefore I will always look at the reasoning behind attacks on any religious organisation.
    Come off it, Islam probably gets a harder time. You don't see islamic fundamentalists given newspaper columns and air time like we give Catholic fundamentalists. Quinn was on the last word this week arguing against the proposed gender quotas, and the crux of his argument appeared to me to be that women should be at home! No one batted an eyelid, but could you imagine the outcry if that was islamic thinktank director making the same point?

The Catholic Church ships a lot of criticism because of it's record, and continued stance, on women, children and gay and lesbian people. How many "disappeared" in industrial schools and launderees?

Maybe it's only my view, though I do see one's sexuality as a lifestyle choice, otherwise you're into the realm of "born that way", which means that you can be born bad, born mad. I have yet to see a fully qualified and conclusive argument that ones sexuality is genetically predetermined. It's not an offence to anyone, people are people and if they can find love and are not hurting others or themselves, then it's a great thing.
    I'm not sure I get you - are you saying there that as well as not being born gay, it's some lifestyle choice to develop mental illness? If you think it's a lifestyle choice, do you believe that gay people can be "cured"? I'm actually astonished that anyone believes it's simply a lifestyle choice in this day and age.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The currrent scientific consensus is that it's a combination of nature and nurture. Certain people are more predisposed to homosexuality than others, and certain factors during a person's upbringing can influence their sexuality as well. It is absolutely not a choice. If sexual orientation was a lifestyle choice, you or I would be able to decide to start being sexually aroused by men right now. I know I can't. I doubt you could either. If it's not a choice for us, why should it be assumed it's a choice for homosexuals?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Come off it, Islam probably gets a harder time. You don't see islamic fundamentalists given newspaper columns and air time like we give Catholic fundamentalists. Quinn was on the last word this week arguing against the proposed gender quotas, and the crux of his argument appeared to me to be that women should be at home! No one batted an eyelid, but could you imagine the outcry if that was islamic thinktank director making the same point?
    If you think Islam gets a harder time, then so be it, maybe from right wing "nuts" or Kevin Myers, though I have to disagree. When you listen to discussions on religion, or the rights and wrongs, or origins, Islam gets an easier ride because of the fear of reprisal, in my experience. Compared to Islam the RC church has become positively enlightened, having lived in an islamic country (the motherland) for a couple of years I can honestly say that what we witness from the clowns who masquerade as christians or catholics is nothing compared to what goes on in islam. Look up the Muslim based press for balance, and try to imagine a christian "thinker" having a column there. Or a christian church built, instead of destroyed as happened to synagogues and churches since the final phase of the formation of the Saudi state.

The Catholic Church ships a lot of criticism because of it's record, and continued stance, on women, children and gay and lesbian people. How many "disappeared" in industrial schools and launderees?
    And rightly so, though being RC-centric, we're allowed to do that. But at least such criticism is allowed.
    What do you mean about children?

I'm not sure I get you - are you saying there that as well as not being born gay, it's some lifestyle choice to develop mental illness? If you think it's a lifestyle choice, do you believe that gay people can be "cured"? I'm actually astonished that anyone believes it's simply a lifestyle choice in this day and age.
    You're actually twisting it slightly here Macy, and accusing gay people of having a mental illness. Are you saying that it cannot be a lifestyle choice? Are you 100% sure that yo can be born gay? If not then it's spurious and dangerous to argue otherwise. If you believe it is an illness that can be cured, then so be it, personally I don't see it as anything wrong, as I've previously stated, so long as people can be free to choose without some bigot telling them they're wrong or going to hell, then the world would be a better place. Walking the path of saying that somebody is born such a way is the ultimate insult, the lines Osarusan put up really open one's eyes - that it's in the uterus that a "complex interplay of genetic factors" determine your sexual orientation - the direct lead would be that women can thus be tested for gayness liability and choose what course of action they take? And that sexual orientiation is determined but sexual behaviour isn't, walking very dangerous ground indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    The idea of Cox as President is abhorrent to me. He's a nasty piece of work and no mistake.
    But would he get the majority of the vote, or enough to get in, he's got too many skeletons? I don't know, I think FG's recent behaviour is going to damage anyone they back, then again, FF still have some Dail seats and the country is eulogising Brian Lenihan, so who knows.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 11/06/2011 at 1:52 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    [B]You're actually twisting it slightly here Macy, and accusing gay people of having a mental illness. Are you saying that it cannot be a lifestyle choice? Are you 100% sure that yo can be born gay? If not then it's spurious and dangerous to argue otherwise. If you believe it is an illness that can be cured, then so be it, personally I don't see it as anything wrong, as I've previously stated, so long as people can be free to choose without some bigot telling them they're wrong or going to hell, then the world would be a better place.
    I'm twisting it? You said "Maybe it's only my view, though I do see one's sexuality as a lifestyle choice, otherwise you're into the realm of "born that way", which means that you can be born bad, born mad". Mad to was taken by mean as you meaning mental illness. I was asking you a question regarding "curing" gay people. Many christian groups believe you can cure people of being gay, as they also believe you aren't born that way and that it's some lifestyle choice. The run courses, and it is based on what you stated - that it's a choice or that they've been corrupted.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    No, you are twisting it, and you know it. Where in any point do I say being gay is a mental illness? Nowhere, why? Because not for a moment do I believe it is. Can somebody be born bad? I don't believe so. Can somebody be born mad? I don't believe so. Being gay is not an illness to be cured, I don't understand how you can think this. So some sects believe they can cure people of being gay, that's their view, I don't believe or agree with it. And corrupted? I don't know how you could think this, or anybody. This goes back to some odd world view that there's something inherently wrong in being gay, you may believe it but sorry, I don't agree. I believe that while people may be pre-disposed, they follow a choice and what's wrong with that? It is better that people can accept that not everybody is the same, if we solely rely on current or old memes then we're going to always have trouble.

So can you finally accept that being gay is not some mental illness, an illness or something wrong. I don't believe you do, nor do I, so nothing to see here.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    One of us obviously isn't being clear about it - probably need someone else to make that judgement as we'll be going around in circle tbh.

YOU stated that that you don't believe people are born gay (or mad or bad). I'm arguing people are born gay and do not have a choice.

By not believing people are born gay and that it is a life style choice (as you stated), YOU are using the same logic that christian groups use to believe that gay people can be cured of their "gayness".

My reference to mental illness was in response to your comment about people not being born mad. People don't choose to be mentally ill either (which I think is what most people take "mad" to be).

I was simple extending the logic you expressed in your earlier first post, or at least attempting to. You are taking that as my view, which couldn't be further from the truth.

To be clear on my views
    - People don't make a lifestyle choice to be Gay, they are born that way
    - As it isn't a choice, being Gay is perfectly natural
    - Gay couples should have exactly the same rights as a hetrocouple (including parental/ adoption rights) and to marry
    - I don't consider gay people mentally ill
    - I don't believe people choose to be mad, or to develop a mental illness as lifestyle choice either
    Last edited by Macy; 10/06/2011 at 8:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Seeing as your opinion on homosexuality is outlined in the first two posts below:
    It's not an offence to anyone, people are people and if they can find love and are not hurting others or themselves, then it's a great thing.
    personally I don't see it as anything wrong, as I've previously stated, so long as people can be free to choose without some bigot telling them they're wrong or going to hell, then the world would be a better place.
    you seem to have no objection to it whatsoever, and feel they should be free from the comments of bigots. But on the other hand, you criticize Norris for his criticism of the church and its stance on homosexuality:

Criticising a religious institution for it's views on lifestyle choice is nuts. Especially in modern Ireland.
    Surely you should welcome criticism of a religious institution whose stance on homosexuality is exactly the bigoted stuff you wish woldn't happen.

And Macy's point was simple to understand - you seem to be saying that people are not born gay, as they are not born bad or mad (which Macy inferred as meaning mentally ill). Thus (for you) it follows that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Macy's question is, do you also feel that being mad is a lifestyle choice? Do you think people choose to become mentally ill?
    Last edited by osarusan; 11/06/2011 at 2:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I wouldn't necessarily say that homosexuality is strictly pre-determined in the womb. Can anyone say that with certainty? From arguing such, it doesn't necessarily follow either that I'd be saying it's a mere matter of personal whim or conscious decision who someone might find sexually attractive. Surely, nurture, environment and social norms, however, will impact to some degree upon what might be an original genetic make-up predisposed to having a higher chance of developing a homosexual orientation. That's not to say homosexuality is a choice. Of course, the pursuing of a "gay lifestyle" is a cognisant choice, but whether one finds the male or female aesthetic more attractive isn't. There is a distinction and the latter is rooted in raw desire; the former can be acted upon or suppressed depending on the will of the individual. It has the appearance of being instinctive in the sense that it isn't a matter of choice, but I wouldn't necessarily say that one's upbringing cannot have a significant bearing on their sexuality either. As a firm proponent of scientific methodology, I am, of course, open to correction, but social psychology is a very powerful, influential and compelling phenomenon that should not be discounted so readily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Actually, I don't even think the issue of how/when sexuality is decided/formed is in any way relevant to the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    To be clear on my views
    - Gay couples should have exactly the same rights as a hetrocouple (including parental/ adoption rights) and to marry
    - I don't believe people choose to be mad, or to develop a mental illness as lifestyle choice either
    Out of interest, in light of your inclination on homosexuality, what is your take on those who find themselves sexually aroused by the image of a child? Wouldn't that "orientation" be as genetically-predisposed as you argue homosexuality might be? It's fair to say that it is viewed socially in a very, very different light. It is primarily viewed as an illness, and often an unnatural, monstrous or somehow non/sub-human one at that. While most people would agree with your list of points above on homosexuality, or at least take little issue with it, I'd imagine a similar list that read as something along the following lines would be much more contentious:
    - People don't make a lifestyle choice to be a paedophile, they are born that way
    - As it isn't a choice, being a paedophile is perfectly natural
    - Paedophiles should have exactly the same rights as other members of society
    - I don't consider paedophiles mentally ill
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Actually, I don't even think the issue of how/when sexuality is decided/formed is in any way relevant to the thread.
    Sorry, you could well be right, and my last post might well be guilty of further diversion, but I think it's an interesting discussion all the same. In saying that, is the notion of gay-bashing and a discussion attempting to understand its origins and perceived merits relevant to a thread on an Irish presidential election where one of the candidates seems to have fallen victim to what would appear to be an anti-gay smear campaign, accusations from crackpots that he leads an immoral and repugnant lifestyle deeming him unfit for the role of president and, subsequently, a potential challenge from another mainstream candidate promoting himself as "the Christian Democrat candidate"? Arguably, it would be. Gay Mitchell might as well have just come out and said he was campaigning on the anti-Norris or anti-gay ticket.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 11/06/2011 at 1:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Sorry, you could well be right, and my last post might well be guilty of further diversion, but I think it's an interesting discussion all the same.
    Agreed, and your comment on its influence on the presidential race are probably correct too. I should rightly have said that such debate shouldn't be relevant to a thread on a presidential race, but in Ireland, and in truth most other countries, it probably is, sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Out of interest, in light of your inclination on homosexuality, what is your take on those who find themselves sexually aroused by the image of a child? Wouldn't that "orientation" be as genetically-predisposed as you argue homosexuality might be? It's fair to say that it is viewed socially in a very, very different light. It is primarily viewed as an illness, and often an unnatural, monstrous or somehow non/sub-human one at that. While most people would agree with your list of points above on homosexuality, or at least take little issue with it, I'd imagine a similar list that read as something along the following lines would be much more contentious:

- People don't make a lifestyle choice to be a paedophile, they are born that way
    - As it isn't a choice, being a paedophile is perfectly natural
    - Paedophiles should have exactly the same rights as other members of society
    - I don't consider paedophiles mentally ill
    im no expert on the issues at debate here but I do believe that the argument made against paedophilia is one that the human body is designed to become sexually attractive and arousing to the opposite sex (not exclusively the opposite sex obviously) when the body has gone through puberty and, as such, a desire to get jiggy with kiddy's (scientific term) is not natural. It is more behavioural in nature and deviant. Perhaps influenced by things that happened during their own youth.

As i said, i havent looked into this but I do believe i heard an argument along those lines before.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    One of us obviously isn't being clear about it - probably need someone else to make that judgement as we'll be going around in circle tbh.

YOU stated that that you don't believe people are born gay (or mad or bad). I'm arguing people are born gay and do not have a choice.

By not believing people are born gay and that it is a life style choice (as you stated), YOU are using the same logic that christian groups use to believe that gay people can be cured of their "gayness".

My reference to mental illness was in response to your comment about people not being born mad. People don't choose to be mentally ill either (which I think is what most people take "mad" to be).

I was simple extending the logic you expressed in your earlier first post, or at least attempting to. You are taking that as my view, which couldn't be further from the truth.

To be clear on my views
    I accept that you believe people are born with a sexual persuasion, I don't agree. I believe that any loving couple should have equal rights under the law. You seem to keep pushing the point that being gay is natural, where is the argument in that? I don't know why you would equate being gay with being mentally ill, even in Osarusan's case I don't get this drive on for it. Where was that stated? Why would people choose to be mad? Where is this even stated? This is a bit superfluous and also ott. You can extend logic in many directions, however, you end up treading on dangerous ground, as pointed out by subsequent posters.

Osarusan, no institution is immune to criticism, nor should it be. Fair and balanced it should be, without agenda and with a right of reply. This is developed and proper, would you disagree with this? You push the issue of choosing to be mentally ill, parallel to Macy, though I don't know where this erupted from. If we roll back, then being gay is something that is caused by a chemical imbalance (misfunctioning thyroid = depression/hyperactivity) and therefore can be cured. I don't agree with this, why this issue of pushing being gay as being an illness of some sort is beyond me and was never brought into any point other than to state that it is nothing I would agree with.

I thank you, Osarusan, for reposting the most important point I made, that gay people should not be discriminated against and that there is nothing wrong with finding love. Let this be an end to it and we can return to discussing the Presidential race. Because with some of the worms coming out of the wood Mr. Norris could well be a Mick Wallace type protest candidate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    im no expert on the issues at debate here but I do believe that the argument made against paedophilia is one that the human body is designed to become sexually attractive and arousing to the opposite sex (not exclusively the opposite sex obviously) when the body has gone through puberty and, as such, a desire to get jiggy with kiddy's (scientific term) is not natural. It is more behavioural in nature and deviant. Perhaps influenced by things that happened during their own youth.

As i said, i havent looked into this but I do believe i heard an argument along those lines before.
    That sounds like a religious argument teetering of the brink of creationist fundamentalism to me. Who or what would have designed the human body for such a purpose? You could use the same "unnatural" analogy with homosexuality - it has no obvious or apparent survival benefit, appearing as an evolutionary paradox, after all - and have a charge of homophobia levelled against you pretty quickly. The argument that the human body was somehow designed for only sexual union and reproduction between male and female is often bandied about by religious anti-gay campaigners. Consequently, does that make celibacy a cardinal sin? Homosexuality isn't "harming" human reproduction any more than celibacy might be. You can see the inevitable contradictions that such daft reasoning produces.

If the human "ideal" you speak of was designed by someone, who or what designed the mind of the paedophile? I would argue that the people we all are today has been influenced in a significant part by the environment of our upbringing and in which we find ourselves, but our genetic make-up is evidently also a very significant factor in our individual traits and propensity towards certain behaviours.

The human anatomy and all its various parts were either designed (by God or a "watchmaker", if you will) with a set purpose in mind, or they weren't and most likely developed out of the combined processes of random (or purposeless) gene mutation and natural selection; or evolution, in other words. I happen to be an agnostic and believe in what is the very compelling theory of evolution.

It is easy, but ultimately incorrect, to connote an apparent purpose from the results of natural selection due to the seemingly apt and survivalist nature of many things in their immediate environments, but this would be to see evolution as sentiently "selecting" particular traits it deems favourable to species survival or working towards some ultimate aim or purpose. Evolution has no "end-goal" in sight. It just happens, unless we're to get into the field of eugenics, but, of course, that would be an attempt to control or force whatever purpose onto evolution as is deemed favourable by man at a particular time.

Viewing the body as being designed to specifications might also logically imply that the force of natural selection is somehow cognisant or aware of what it is doing, but, of course, it isn't. As such, not even evolution indicates that there ought to be any one strict or specific purpose for the human body. There are just traits that happen to survive better over certain existing others in particular environments. Sure, this appears to guide the process of evolution, but a morality cannot be borne out of such a non-conscious process. Richard Dawkins compares evolution to a "blind watchmaker".

As far as I'm concerned, invoking the vague and suspect natural-unnatural dichotomy in a debate such as this is largely redundant as far as all humans, the human mind and human behaviours are inherently as much a part of nature as the actions of any other creature on the planet. Therefore, even if the human body were somehow designed, I would have difficulty seeing how it was designed with some "natural" purpose in mind given the propensity for the human mind in its current guise to engage in thought deemed "unnatural" or deviant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    That sounds like a religious argument teetering of the brink of creationist fundamentalism to me. Who or what would have designed the human body for such a purpose? You could use the same "unnatural" analogy with homosexuality - it has no obvious or apparent survival benefit, appearing as an evolutionary paradox, after all - and have a charge of homophobia levelled against you pretty quickly. The argument that the human body was somehow designed for only sexual union and reproduction between male and female is often bandied about by religious anti-gay campaigners. Consequently, does that make celibacy a cardinal sin? Homosexuality isn't "harming" human reproduction any more than celibacy might be. You can see the inevitable contradictions that such daft reasoning produces.

If the human "ideal" you speak of was designed by someone, who or what designed the mind of the paedophile? I would argue that the people we all are today has been influenced in a significant part by the environment of our upbringing and in which we find ourselves, but our genetic make-up is evidently also a very significant factor in our individual traits and propensity towards certain behaviours.

The human anatomy and all its various parts were either designed (by God or a "watchmaker", if you will) with a set purpose in mind, or they weren't and most likely developed out of the combined processes of random (or purposeless) gene mutation and natural selection; or evolution, in other words. I happen to be an agnostic and believe in what is the very compelling theory of evolution.

It is easy, but ultimately incorrect, to connote an apparent purpose from the results of natural selection due to the seemingly apt and survivalist nature of many things in their immediate environments, but this would be to see evolution as sentiently "selecting" particular traits it deems favourable to species survival or working towards some ultimate aim or purpose. Evolution has no "end-goal" in sight. It just happens, unless we're to get into the field of eugenics, but, of course, that would be an attempt to control or force whatever purpose onto evolution as is deemed favourable by man at a particular time.

Viewing the body as being designed to specifications might also logically imply that the force of natural selection is somehow cognisant or aware of what it is doing, but, of course, it isn't. As such, not even evolution indicates that there ought to be any one strict or specific purpose for the human body. There are just traits that happen to survive better over certain existing others in particular environments. Sure, this appears to guide the process of evolution, but a morality cannot be borne out of such a non-conscious process. Richard Dawkins compares evolution to a "blind watchmaker".

As far as I'm concerned, invoking the vague and suspect natural-unnatural dichotomy in a debate such as this is largely redundant as far as all humans, the human mind and human behaviours are inherently as much a part of nature as the actions of any other creature on the planet. Therefore, even if the human body were somehow designed, I would have difficulty seeing how it was designed with some "natural" purpose in mind given the propensity for the human mind in its current guise to engage in thought deemed "unnatural" or deviant.
    i knew i was in way over my head and i really dont give a crap but i was just offering a theory i had heard espoused from a non-religious source. I dont think that the general idea is exclusively christian or creationist in nature as it is used an argument to validate homosexuality. The theory simply goes to the very nature of what we are, irrespective of creation i.e. it is "natural" to be sexually attracted to sexually developed people and it is "unnatural" to be sexually attracted to sexually undeveloped people. I dont think there is anything too outrageous in that statement. I never once referred to any situation in my post as an ideal, it is what it is. The real question becomes what is that which is not natural? That is the grey area.

With regards to the rest of the faff in your post, you have picked one word out of my post and used it to bring the thread in a whole different direction where now we're entering a debate about creationism or religion. Ill stay away from that one, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just to be clear, I wasn't having a go at you personally. Just attempting to dissect an argument I perceive to be highly suspect. I saw a parallel in the theory you mentioned and those ideas espoused by right-wing religious lunatics who describe homosexuality as an unnatural abomination. Why would referring to a sexual attraction to minors as an unnatural abomination be any different? That's what I'm trying to decipher. Obviously, there would be a power relationship there between adult and child if such a physical interaction was to occur that would be, in most people's eyes, generally considered one of dominant abuser and submissive abused, but I'm merely talking about paedophile thoughts for the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    The theory simply goes to the very nature of what we are, irrespective of creation i.e. it is "natural" to be sexually attracted to sexually developed people and it is "unnatural" to be sexually attracted to sexually undeveloped people. I dont think there is anything too outrageous in that statement. I never once referred to any situation in my post as an ideal, it is what it is. The real question becomes what is that which is not natural? That is the grey area.
    It mightn't be considered outrageous, sure, but it's worth questioning such a presumptious and essentialist statement. I mean, what is this alleged "very nature of what we are" that you claim to exist and, if it does indeed exist, how does one go about distinguishing between acts and thoughts that are to be categorised as natural and acts and thoughts that are to be categorised as unnatural? I think all human activity must be considered natural by definition, no matter how abhorrent it might seem to certain others. We, and our thoughts with us, are creatures of nature, after all. Of course, that's not necessarily a personal legitimisation or justification for the idea of everyone doing as they please, whether it's abusive or harmful to other people or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Hehe, I see the topical advert generator is doing its job.

Last edited by DannyInvincible; 11/06/2011 at 8:13 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast