Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody up for a bit of summer fun? Ireland Draft idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Anybody up for a bit of summer fun? Ireland Draft idea

Now that summer is here and not a whole lot to talk about for a couple of months would some posters be interested in participating in an Ireland Draft competition? We could have 10 posters(or teams if more than one) draft anyone who's played an Irish international and have a poll at the end to see who has the best overall team. Here is an example of one for the US team on bigsoccer(except ours would be all-time greatest players:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629372
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I'd be game. Though my knowledge of anything pre-1990 is a bit sketchy. =P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Not sure how it works exactly but I'm up for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Same as Sullivinho - up for doing it, sounds like a laff, but would need more explained!
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    don't really understand it
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    The idea is that we get 10 participants involved in creating 10 of the best XI's Ireland has produced. The 10 would take turns selecting 1 player per round eventually creating 10 teams. The goal would be for each person create a team with a 4-4-2 formation.

It would work something like this. Say we had Murfinator selecting first, Sullivinho selects second, SwanVsDalton third and so on until Fixer82 who might pick 9th and I could pick 10th. Round 1 might go like this:

1 Murfinator picks Paul McGrath
    2 Sullivinho picks Liam Brady
    3 SwanVsDalton picks Johnny Giles
    9 Fixer82 picks Roy Keane
    10 Metrostars picks Niall Quinn

Now round 1 is over and those players(McGrath, Brady, Giles, Keane and Quinn) are no longer available for selection.
    Round 2 would be in reverse order e.g.

1. Metrostars picks Shay Given
    2. Fixer82 picks Kevin Moran

8. SwanVsDalton picks Damien Duff
    9. Sullivinho picks Packie Bonner
    10. Murfinator picks Terry Phelan

Round 3 would be in the original order and so on. It will get more difficult in the later rounds and you will end up having to pick more obscure players which is part of the fun so you will need to develop a strategy as you go along. Also, you've got to select a goalkeeper and you need to have players in their proper positions, e.g. no point in selecting say both Chis Hughton and Terry Phelan since they primarily played just Left back and then stick Hughton at striker. After 11 rounds everyone will have their XI. Then we can vote on who has the best all around XI.

Round 11 could end up something like
    1 Murfinator picks Mick Leech
    2 Sullivinho picks Alan Lee
    3 SwanVsDalton picks Joe Lapira
    9 Fixer82 pick Peter Thomas
    10 Metrostars picks David Forde
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Trust me, you don't want to do anything like those assclowns on the US or MLS forums on BigSoccer (or anywhere else really)...I used to post on the Ireland forum (some good times for sure for me, lots of bad times too though) there and still do on the Caribbean forum and these people wander in to discussions sometimes and the level of ignorance is ridiculous. I got invited to one of these drafts on the Ireland forum there about a year ago so they may have done one already, though I can't be sure it got off the ground if they asked me after a few years absence from that part of the site they must have been desperate. If you want to degrade yourself be my guest...thats the end of my (Dunphy-esque?) rant.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 09/06/2011 at 5:08 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Trust me, you don't want to do anything like those assclowns on the US or MLS forums on BigSoccer (or anywhere else really)...I used to post on the Ireland forum (some good times for sure for me, lots of bad times too though) there and still do on the Caribbean forum and these people wander in to discussions sometimes and the level of ignorance is ridiculous. I got invited to one of these drafts on the Ireland forum there about a year ago so they may have done one already, though I can't be sure it got off the ground if they asked me after a few years absence from that part of the site they must have been desperate. If you want to degrade yourself be my guest...thats the end of my (Dunphy-esque?) rant.
    Riiiiiiiiight. It doesn't have to be like that here though, does it? Presumably that had more to do with the 'assclowns' on Big Soccer? Notwithstanding the potential for assclownery round these parts...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    does that mean whoever is in the middle of the round, always stays in the middle for each round?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    does that mean whoever is in the middle of the round, always stays in the middle for each round?
    Correct.

So we have

Metrostars
    Murfinator
    Sullivinho
    SwanVsDalton

We will need a few more to get started. Also, this is an assclown-free area. Well, almost anyway.

This is a list of Irish players. I don't know how accurate it is:
    http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-...sh-players.htm
    Last edited by Metrostars; 09/06/2011 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Cheers for the explanation Metro.

So the reality is... only one Gary Breen may be selected yes?

13. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think we should do an "at risk" modelling approach and conduct 2-3 drafts seperately. So say we have 12 people interested, we should split it into 3 drafts with 4 people each. Then score the selected players on rank and average it across all three drafts. Otherwise one decision (e.g. picking Eddie McGoldrick)* could distort the whole thing.

*McGoldrick is an extreme example, but what say if Harte was picked in the top 10 ? I wouldnt have a problem with it but a few on here might and with just one draft there would be no true consensus, it could just be a nostalgic whim on the part of one poster.

Also I think you need to put a time limit on it ? Maybe say since Euro 88 ? As it's hard for a 30 year old to have the same opinion of Johnny Giles as say a 60 year old ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I want in. But I'm lost. Though looking at it it reminds me of that scene in Knocked Up white Paul Rudd's character gets 'caught' doing fantasy baseball drafts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I think we should do an "at risk" modelling approach and conduct 2-3 drafts seperately. So say we have 12 people interested, we should split it into 3 drafts with 4 people each. Then score the selected players on rank and average it across all three drafts. Otherwise one decision (e.g. picking Eddie McGoldrick)* could distort the whole thing.

*McGoldrick is an extreme example, but what say if Harte was picked in the top 10 ? I wouldnt have a problem with it but a few on here might and with just one draft there would be no true consensus, it could just be a nostalgic whim on the part of one poster.

Also I think you need to put a time limit on it ? Maybe say since Euro 88 ? As it's hard for a 30 year old to have the same opinion of Johnny Giles as say a 60 year old ?
    It's every man for himself. We would all be our own managers and it's up to us individuals to pick our own team based on the available players. Once Harte is picked, nobody else can pick him. Also, limiting it to just the last 23 years would make it difficult and there would be much less players available. By researching and finding out more about older players we gain a knowledge and an appreciation of older teams before 1988.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    would like it but time constraints may force my hand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    id 'play'!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    i'm in but not really fully sure of how it works. i reckon once it kicks off though i'll get the hang of it. When and where will said draft be conducted? I don't want my wife driving to the house and catching me. She went nuts last time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aYlw...eature=related
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    i'm in but not really fully sure of how it works. i reckon once it kicks off though i'll get the hang of it. When and where will said draft be conducted? I don't want my wife driving to the house and catching me. She went nuts last time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aYlw...eature=related
    it would happen here but I'm guessing it would take a few weeks to complete.

Metrostars
    Murfinator
    Sullivinho
    SwanVsDalton
    BonnieShels
    Fixer82

If we got two more I'd think we would have enough at 8.
    EAFC_rdfl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Any more takers? One more and we would have 8.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    alright, I'll give it a go.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast