Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rankings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    A classic example of FIFA being overly meddlesome and officious in intervening in the governance of a national FA, yet a blind eye is casually turned to the widespread corruption in its own ranks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/g...latter-gallery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I think UEFA decide this once they've worked out their favoured teams in the play-offs.
    Beat me to it ya shoite!

Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Montenegrin

Just out of interest whats the current situation with Kosovo and a national football team? Didn't they gain independence a few years back. Was just wondering whats the hold up on them establishing a football team?
    There's difficulty with Serbia I would say. Serbia continue not to recognise Kosovo's independence as does the Republika Srpska in Bosnia. So I would say that will put the kybosh on any attempt for the elevation to FIFA of the Football Federation of Kosovo.

Interesting article from Nov 2009 on the issue: http://www.playthegame.org/news/deta...o-fa-4579.html
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

3. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Montenegrin

Just out of interest whats the current situation with Kosovo and a national football team? Didn't they gain independence a few years back. Was just wondering whats the hold up on them establishing a football team?

Also did people notice Bosnia played Romania at the weekend, I thought they were still indefinately suspended from international football, due to the governance of the FA. UEFA must have backed down on that one?

Well,Kosovo is an independent country,but not quite so...Most of the European countries recognized it,but on the other hand most of the countries in the world does not,including Russia and China that have veto right in the security council at UN.As the result of this,Kosovo is not a member of the UN and needs permission from Serbia to play competetive international football.Otherwise,FIFA wont allow it.
    Situation in Bosnia was well explained by others.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Afaiu, If Serbia FA gave permission, then Kosova could be a full FIFA member regardless of UN recognition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Afaiu, If Serbia FA gave permission, then Kosova could be a full FIFA member regardless of UN recognition.
    Do turkeys vote for Christmas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFA Statutes
    10: Membership

6. An Association in a region which has not yet gained independence may, with the authorisation of the Association in the country on which it is dependent, also apply for admission to FIFA.
    Of course, not that it's likely to happen.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Hence we have the Faeroes as a separate FA.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    moving away from world cup rankings and onto uefa coefficient, it will be interesting to see if we are seeded should we end up in a playoff spot. i think this battle is a bit tighter, and there's a chance (i estimate maybe 35% chance but i might be WAY off) we could be.

i'm not clear though on which uefa co-efficient will be used; that as of the start of the qualifying campaign:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_co...am_coefficient

or those that will be used for the finals proper:

http://www.football-rankings.info/se...el/euro%202012

i'd imagine the latter, which means we are currently 20th in uefa, with norway catchable? in the current 2nd place standings we'd be fifth i think, but if we caught norway, 4th and seeded.

euro 2012 2nd place teams (with russia speculatively replaced by us)
    montenegro (currently auto qualify as best 2nd place team)

seeded:
    croatia
    czech rep
    sweden
    norway

unseeded:
    ireland
    slovenia
    belarus
    belgium
    The playoff rankings are probably deserving of their own thread, but since everyone is still in 'lets win the group' mode, its maybe too early for one yet.

As far as I know this is the set of rankings that will be used:

http://www.world-results.net/uefa/ranking.html#2011

At the moment we're 15th in Europe and have a good chance of being seeded if we end up in the playoffs.

Here are the rankings of the most likely playoff teams with the other possibilities in brackets.

8 Greece (6 Croatia) (17 Israel)
    9 Sweden (25 Hungary)
    13 Denmark (10 Portugal) (20 Norway)
    14 Czech (33 Scotland)

15 Ireland (7 Russia) (12 Slovakia)

18 Turkey (32 Austria) (34 Belgium)
    21 Slovenia (19 Serbia) (29 N Ireland)
    24 Montenegro (22 Swiss) (31 Bulgaria) (5 England)
    26 Romania (28 Belarus) (37 Albania) (23 Bosnia)
    Last edited by Eirambler; 07/06/2011 at 10:24 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Edgar

Long shot but any way at all that that win over Italy will sneak us into pot 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    So after the win against Italy .... we are on 752 points in the Ranking system ...... does that still leaves us in 33rd spot when the rankings come out at the end of the month?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Edgar

No! ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Well we were tipped to be 33rd after a predicted 3 wins (NI, Scotland & Macedonia) and one loss (Italy). So presumably after a victory against Italy, we have to be higher than 33rd now, still though it would have to be some jump to get us into pot 2.

Edgar, I have been trying to work out the dramatic rise for Norway and am absolutely baffled still. Their position makes no sense when you consider, they were the 2nd placed team with the lowest points in the last campaign and thus missed out on a playoff place. In this campaign, they have beaten Iceland, Cyprus and Portugal, drawn with Denmark and lost to Portugal. Aside from the one victory over Portugal they don't seem to have done anything all that miraculous, to account for their rise to Pot 1.
    Last edited by French Toasht; 07/06/2011 at 9:45 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Perhaps they had some dreadful results 4 years ago that were discounted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Wales have scraped out of the frying pan into pot 5.
    Beating the whipping boys NI, saved their bacon.
    Not quite. Faroe Islands beat Estonia and Wales remain in pot 6. I think everyone will hoping to get Faroe from Pot 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    How did Montenegro acheive such a high ranking? They've only been in two campaigns right? Doing admirably but hardly setting the world alight. We've been decent for a couple of years now, yet seem to find it hard to make any significant progress upward ie out of pot flaming 3.
    Montenegro will have 915 points in the June and July rankings.

484 points are from only 4 matches, all in the EURO qualifiers: the wins against Switzerland, Bulgaria and Wales and the draw against England.

Define decent. Let's look a bit at Montenegro. They've got 1177.5 points (individual match points) from their win against Bulgaria and 1342.5 (individual match points) from the win against Switzerland - all in the last 12 months.

They also have only 30 matches in the last 4 years.

Ireland, on the other hand, have no matches with more than 1000 points. They do have three over 900: Cyprus twice and Georgia. None of these are in the last 12 months.

You also have 42 matches in the last 4 years, so your points are divided by more matches than Montenegro's points.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Edgar, do the rankings factor in whether Paul McShane was in the team or not? Our win against Scotland must have been even more valuable.

(Sorry Paul, feel guilty about that. Go get 'em cap'n.)
    I guess FIFA are working on that

Edgar

No, you're 21st in Europe now, 27 points behind Slovakia, the last team in Pot 2.

Well we were tipped to be 33rd after a predicted 3 wins (NI, Scotland & Macedonia) and one loss (Italy). So presumably after a victory against Italy, we have to be higher than 33rd now, still though it would have to be some jump to get us into pot 2.

Edgar, I have been trying to work out the dramatic rise for Norway and am absolutely baffled still. Their position makes no sense when you consider, they were the 2nd placed team with the lowest points in the last campaign and thus missed out on a playoff place. In this campaign, they have beaten Iceland, Cyprus and Portugal, drawn with Denmark and lost to Portugal. Aside from the one victory over Portugal they don't seem to have done anything all that miraculous, to account for their rise to Pot 1.
    Norway. Well, they did beat Portugal (1440 individual match points), Cyprus (1177.5) and Iceland (907.5) in the last 12 months. They also have wins against Scotland and Macedonia between 12 and 24 months ago. When averaged with the other matches, these 5 wins make about 502.5 points of the total 972 Norway will have in June/July.

Cyprus were ranked 35 when Norway won against them in a qualifier.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    No, you're 21st in Europe now, 27 points behind Slovakia, the last team in Pot 2.
    That seems painfully close. What would it have taken to make up those 27 points? Can the FAI petition FIFA for a July friendly date with Burkina Faso?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That's a good point.

Who reckons that the FAI actually monitors our ranking and its significance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    You need two wins in July against two teams ranked in the FIFA Top 4.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I see the Elo ratings have us ranked 20th in the world now in light of our 2-0 victory over Italy.

A few others who we've played recently or have been discussed in this thread for comparison with their FIFA ranking, as of the 18th of May, in brackets:

Italy are 12th (9th);
    Russia are 21st (18th);
    Norway are 23rd (11th);
    Montenegro are 41st (24th);
    Scotland are 46th (66th);
    Slovakia are 56th (26th);
    Burkina Faso are 67th (44th);
    Macedonia are 83rd (85th);
    Northern Ireland are 88th (65th).
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 08/06/2011 at 9:29 AM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    I'm not merely saying this because the ELO ranking system is favourable to Ireland, but acrosss the board it seems to be the more equitable system of ranking teams.

For example Scotland are twice the team NI are, yet they are ranked behind them in the FIFA rankings. The ELO system is more realistic in terms of Norway's meteoric rise in the FIFA rankings, considering they havn't beaten anyone of consequence bar Portugal in recent times. Ok the Slovakia ranking in the ELO system is quite harsh, but at the same time, they have had two horrowshows against Andorra recently and were beaten by Armenia.

Delighted to hear Faroes are in pot 5 now. Well done Brian Kerr. I'm trying to think of what a comparable achievement would be with the Irish team, and I would say it would be the equivalent of Ireland reaching the quarter finals of a WC.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    And to think, the Faroes conceded 2 goals in injury time to lose to Estonia in Tallinn

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast