Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The implications of 'The Kiss'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Thumbs down The implications of 'The Kiss'

I know that it was all done in the name of a good laugh, but it could have been a bit more than that:
    1. The referee noted the incident and was keen to put it in his match report. He asked Noel O'Connor if he wanted the matter pursued and he said no. If the ref goes ahead and reports it anyway, which he can, the club will receive a hefty fine and Damian will be banned from EL grounds.We cant afford one of those in particular to happen.
    2.I think that between the kiss, and the lout who kept ribbing Pat Dolan about being fat, we showed great example to the decent supporters from Cork and Limerick that were there...NOT!!We are trying to promote the game, and attract adults to bring their kids along to games. I know I wouldn't.
    As a point of common courtesy to Noel O'Connor, I thought it was pretty bad form. I know a lot of people are slagging him off cos he left the club at a bad time,but I don't think anyone could blame him, given the circumstances at the time.He was the only Limerick manager I can remember to interact with Damian and other fans. King, Connell, Lynch etc constantly turned their snouts up at fans and ignored them.
    3. If an opposition fan did that to Mike Kerley, he'd have been leaving the ground via ambulance. We wouldn't take it.Why give it?

I also wonder why if this KissNOC character is Damian, why is he on bragging about what happened. After all, Damian was in Noels shop the next morning all apologies for being so stupid??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    King, Connell, Lynch etc constantly turned their snouts up at fans and ignored them.
    That's a little harsh on Dave Connell particularly. Always found him -and Tommy Lynch -to be quite approachable guys who'd chat away to you no probs.

Beyond that you've a point -sadly. I know it was only a gag gone wrong but It's a shame that at games that attract the attendences ours do the ref still manages to make incident reports.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I for one agree with Damo big style. F**K them if they cant take a Joke!!

We are at the bottom of the League. We are playing ****e with half a ****e team. Last Sat was a disgrace to the great history of Limerick Football. There was no spirit nor willingness by the team to work, bar a few ie: Conway, jimmy in Goal and Finny to win the game.

The least we can do this year is have a bit of fun cos we are going nowhere on the pitch. How can our Team play so well one week and then not seem to care the next.

Damo Keep up the good work

JohnD ....sick at being below Monaghan..for Gods sake
    "How Can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team"-- B.Bragg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I understand your frustrations John, and totally agree with them. But theres other ways of having fun that aren't going to be detrimental to the club, and make us look bad in front of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

wrse then the kiss

was Alan Gough in the Galway goal the other night. nearling full time the ball went into the terrace where a kid no more then six picked up the ball! not knowing what to do (being six i guess he thought it was his ball) he ignored his father who drove up with his 3 kids from Ballybunion in co kerry all hair dyed blue, and tried to keep it! so our big noble keeper decided to shout at the kid! One limerick fan told him where to go so he had a go at him too, the refs responce was to issue a yellow card but we wont see those supporters back again me thinks

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

re

Hey who says im 'Damien'
    Growing old is compulsery, but growing up is optional, coz I kissed Noel O'Connor !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [but we wont see those supporters back again me thinks[/QUOTE]

Wanna bet, those kids do nothing but talk about Lims Fc and when their next game is on, these same kids want to go to Dublin when we play either Bohs or UCD in the cup semi final.They dyed their hair blue, wore their jerseys and went walking around the Crescent Shopping Centre prior to the game.They got some funny looks but hey they didn't care.For those kids every second Sat. is "Blue Day" and not just what is happening on July 3rd.It will take a lot more than what Gough did to stop those kids turning up.For them it dosen't matter if we win or not, they have no idea of the financial implications of the club, or anything that goes on off the pitch, they are just happy to be there and cheer on the lads and have the banter will the opposing goalie.I am very surprised at Gough in how he reacted as he is around a long time and I didn't think a few kids shouting "dodgy keeper" would upset him so much.Still you live and learn.Kids will be back,watch out behind the goals they'll always be there,blue hair and all.......
    Last edited by Westside; 22/06/2004 at 2:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS N.O.C
    Hey who says im 'Damien'
    Nobody....I'm pretty sure you're not , actually.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    JoeSoap: Just want to try to clear up a couple of things in your original post. Please keep in mind that I have a lot of time for yourself, Noel and Damien, so I'll try to keep it as even-handed as I can.

1. The guy (Kiss NOC) is not Damien (or even "Damian") O'Neill.

2. I was on the phone to Damien last night and he was absolutely apalled that you of all people could insinuate that he was a disgrace to Limerick. He mentioned a number of things, which I have previously heard about from others, that you have done in your soccer dealings which are far more serious than what happened at the Cork game. Most people know what these events are, and this is not the place to list them so I will refrain from doing so. It seems a little "Pot-Kettle" to me.

3. Noel O'Connor was absolutely in the wrong when he left. He signed up players on wages much higher than they deserved and then jumped ship at the last moment. The opportunity to step up was one he really had to take, but no-one can say that the way he left Limerick was incredibly disappointing to all involved.

4. I think you are leaving your friendship with Noel cloud your eyes here. You weren't at the match to my knowledge and therefore are talking about events that you only have second-hand information to. Don't forget that Damien also has (had) a friendship with Noel O'Connor as well. Judging from your post you really are talking this up as a major incident. The referees were not as worried about it as you seem to think they were. They regarded the infringment onto the pitch as (in their words) "trivial." They are required to ask Noel O'Connor if he wishes to take it further, as it is part of their remit, but this does not automatically mean they deem it to be something major.

5. I have looked into this through the FAI rules and through separate legal council and on the facts of what has happened the only thing that could happen through the FAI is that Limerick FC can be fined. The infraction is not major, it is as a result of Limerick FC not meeting certain aspects of the licencing requirements and therefore Limerick are liable for Damien having access to the pitch. The only way anything could be done to Damien is if Noel O'Connor takes a civil case against Damien. This would be completly separate from Limerick FC and the FAI.

6. Noel O'Connor could have been deemed to have been "inciting the crowd." Just prior to the match beginning Noel was heard by myself and a number of others to say that we would be leaving ten minutes before the end. He was trying to rise Damien and the rest of us by insinuating that Cork would have no problem beating us. We all believed that this was good natured banter between fans and an ex-manager. Likewise I think everyone believes that what Damien did was in a similar spirit. However, going from my understanding of the FAI regulations I believe that Noel would be in as much trouble as Damien if he pressed on with anything.

7. As for slagging off Pat Dolan (and Noel), I think this is a poor point. If you really had a problem with this behaviour you would have addressed it well before now. I thought that the slagging and banter wasn't all that bad in the game. I have been at an awful lot of Limerick FC matches in the past few years where it has been much worse. Most of it was quite friendly with both Noel and Brendan Sweeny involved with Cork. I don't think there was any real bad feeling in anything said. Also, you have to remember that these players are professional (or semi-pro). This means they are being paid to play soccer. Part of that is having the maturity and level-headedness to let this type of banter roll off their backs. I have to say that I don't think Pat Dolan was bothered by it at all. He gave no indication of it getting to him and he got on with the game at hand like the professional he is.

All in all, I think there was very little in what happened. Perhaps we should all just look at this in context and realise that there really was nothing in it.
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."
    - John Purcell (Limerick FC Commercial Manager), February 2004

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Most of the abuse aimed at Dolan came from Cork fans anyway. Surely they haven't seen through his bravado already?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deise deserter
    JoeSoap: Just want to try to clear up a couple of things in your original post. Please keep in mind that I have a lot of time for yourself, Noel and Damien, so I'll try to keep it as even-handed as I can.

1. The guy (Kiss NOC) is not Damien (or even "Damian") O'Neill.

2. I was on the phone to Damien last night and he was absolutely apalled that you of all people could insinuate that he was a disgrace to Limerick. He mentioned a number of things, which I have previously heard about from others, that you have done in your soccer dealings which are far more serious than what happened at the Cork game. Most people know what these events are, and this is not the place to list them so I will refrain from doing so. It seems a little "Pot-Kettle" to me.

3. Noel O'Connor was absolutely in the wrong when he left. He signed up players on wages much higher than they deserved and then jumped ship at the last moment. The opportunity to step up was one he really had to take, but no-one can say that the way he left Limerick was incredibly disappointing to all involved.

4. I think you are leaving your friendship with Noel cloud your eyes here. You weren't at the match to my knowledge and therefore are talking about events that you only have second-hand information to. Don't forget that Damien also has (had) a friendship with Noel O'Connor as well. Judging from your post you really are talking this up as a major incident. The referees were not as worried about it as you seem to think they were. They regarded the infringment onto the pitch as (in their words) "trivial." They are required to ask Noel O'Connor if he wishes to take it further, as it is part of their remit, but this does not automatically mean they deem it to be something major.

5. I have looked into this through the FAI rules and through separate legal council and on the facts of what has happened the only thing that could happen through the FAI is that Limerick FC can be fined. The infraction is not major, it is as a result of Limerick FC not meeting certain aspects of the licencing requirements and therefore Limerick are liable for Damien having access to the pitch. The only way anything could be done to Damien is if Noel O'Connor takes a civil case against Damien. This would be completly separate from Limerick FC and the FAI.

6. Noel O'Connor could have been deemed to have been "inciting the crowd." Just prior to the match beginning Noel was heard by myself and a number of others to say that we would be leaving ten minutes before the end. He was trying to rise Damien and the rest of us by insinuating that Cork would have no problem beating us. We all believed that this was good natured banter between fans and an ex-manager. Likewise I think everyone believes that what Damien did was in a similar spirit. However, going from my understanding of the FAI regulations I believe that Noel would be in as much trouble as Damien if he pressed on with anything.

7. As for slagging off Pat Dolan (and Noel), I think this is a poor point. If you really had a problem with this behaviour you would have addressed it well before now. I thought that the slagging and banter wasn't all that bad in the game. I have been at an awful lot of Limerick FC matches in the past few years where it has been much worse. Most of it was quite friendly with both Noel and Brendan Sweeny involved with Cork. I don't think there was any real bad feeling in anything said. Also, you have to remember that these players are professional (or semi-pro). This means they are being paid to play soccer. Part of that is having the maturity and level-headedness to let this type of banter roll off their backs. I have to say that I don't think Pat Dolan was bothered by it at all. He gave no indication of it getting to him and he got on with the game at hand like the professional he is.

All in all, I think there was very little in what happened. Perhaps we should all just look at this in context and realise that there really was nothing in it.
    With regard to your post:

1). I know Damian can't use a computer, therefore KISSNOC can't be him.

2).Please dont refrain. I presume you're talking about my paying players out of my own pocket in order to keep a struggling club I was involved in afloat because nobody else would do anything to help the club, including the guy that gave you this little titbit of information.I'm proud that I did what I could for the good of a club I loved, so shove that one up your ass!!

3).Noel left because he was given false information by a committee member as to how much he had to spend on wages. He was told he had x amount to spend, when he really only had y.A better offer came along, he took it....so be it.

4).I only commented on what I was told by Noel and a few others. My judgement is not clouded, and I don't think I got any of it wrong.

5). Get off the drugs man.I said that the club could be fined and Damian banned from EL matches. Both of these are facts. ????

6).I know nothing of what Noel "said" to Damian or vice-versa. I only know of the kiss episode. Stop trying to wind me up and turn this into something its not. This isn't Judge Judy.

7).I addressed the slagging issue because it is not something I agree with when it becomes personal and insulting. I never agreed with it before, and am not going to start now. By the way, it was a Cork fan slagging Pat Dolan.

I agree with you that very little happened. I was merely pointing out that it could have ended up a lot more serious than it actually did.

Excellent post....congratulations. Please convey my answers to your points to Damian when he calls shortly to see what I said.
    Last edited by joeSoap; 22/06/2004 at 3:04 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'll just start with these tidbits from your post:

Posted by Joesoap:
    "shove that one up your ass!!"

Sorry, but I was under the impression that you were against this sort of language? There is a much larger viewing audience for things posted up on foot than there is for something said at a Limerick FC match. Once again, you have contradicted yourself.

Posted by Joesoap:
    "Get off the drugs man"

I believe this is libelous. I don't do drugs, or even drink or smoke. Why you felt the need to post something as ridiculous as this is beyond me. Comments such as this and the one above really belittle you and your opinions.

Now on to the rest of the reply:

2. I feel that for your own sake you shouldn't reveal an illegal activity that you have engaged in on the internet. I would advise you to edit your post and remove this.

4. Posted by Joesoap:
    "I only commented on what I was told by Nel and a few others. My judgement is not clouded, and I don't think I got any of it wrong."

Well your post speaks for itself. You only got information from a few people. Therefore you admit that your information is limited. It is also limited to only taking in a biased version of the events that occured. You cannot make a clear (non-clouded) judgement based on partial information. Now, I hate to be as black and white as this, but, having been there for all the events that occured myself I have to say with absolute certainty that you are wrong. It's not your fault, but as with points 5 and 6, you should really know what you are talking about before you begin to decry the actions of others.

5 and 6:
    Posted by Joesoap:
    "I said that the club could be fined and Damian banned from EL matches. Both of these are facts."

Once again, check your information. These are not facts. For the event we are discussing there are only two parties who can issue a restraining order to stop Damien going to the Pike - Limerick FC and Pike Rovers. As neither of these have any intention of doing so, it is a moot point to begin with.

Posted by Joesaop:
    "Stop trying to wind me up and turn this into something its not. This isn't Judge Judy."

I'm sorry if you think I'm winding you up, but I'm not. I have gone back through my post and I don't think there is anything that you could take issue with. As for Judge Judy, perhaps you really should take your cues from her. Information is the key to any argument. If you don't know or understand the rules and regulations of the FAI you shouldn't be posting with imaginary penalties you wish to see leveled on someone. All it really does is make readers on this forum dismiss you as a uninformed ranter.

7:
    Posted by Joesoap:
    "I never agreed with it before, and am not going to start now."

This is the first time you have voiced your dissatisfaction with the banter that goes on at Limerick FC games. I don't remember you giving out about it at any other stage on this forum or at any of the matches. Perhaps you are bringing it up now because Noel was annoyed about it. It's great to stick up for your friends, but don't try to pretend that you disagree with it in retrospect.

Posted By Joesoap:
    "I agree with you that very little happened."

That is strange as your initial post was blowing it out of all proportions. While not "getting at you" in future I would advise you to have all the information correct to avoid coming off as badly as you did here.
    Last edited by deise deserter; 22/06/2004 at 3:51 PM.
    "Anyone who's Soapy should be flushed and anyone who's a Deserter should be shot."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    With regard to your post:
    I agree with you that very little happened.
    Speaks for itself
    Growing old is compulsery, but growing up is optional, coz I kissed Noel O'Connor !!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Saying Damian is not able to use a computer ?? Implying he is thick or an idi0t ?? To see the real idi0t of this matter, look in the mirror !

And may I point out, Damien does not have access to a computer, and if he did he would not sit there wasting his life. Some of us have better things to do !
    Last edited by KISS N.O.C; 22/06/2004 at 8:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    I for one agree with Damo big style. F**K them if they cant take a Joke!!

I'd be with Damo on this one too .... i didnt actually see the kiss but for fook sake ..... it was clear to everyone it was banter ..... along with the steak sandwiches jibes at half time ..... to be honest, It would leave a soar taste if the ref blew this all out of proportion. Do we now have to deal with the fun police aswell as everything else.

Anyway ... best of luck to Lims from here on in.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    close the door on this Damien / Noel business guys its getting completley outta hand now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A Face:

Good post. The ref though wasn't making a big deal of it, he thought (correctly) that it was trivial.

I think that if even the Cork fans have no problem with it this should really be dropped. It wasn't even much of an argument to begin with....

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Thread locked on the grounds that it's getting too petty.
    Cheers kids.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.