Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Macedonia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It'd be a huge risk to pick Sledge for his first game since February.

It'd be a huge risk to play O'Dea though. Or Kelly. Or McShane. Or even Foley. Or Ward. Or Kilbane.

Jeez, our defensive options are all scary! I have faith in none of them to go through a game without committing a game changing error.
    That's why Trap and co. should have worked out viable alternatives months ago.
    And why the best we can hope for is a draw, as we'll definitely concede.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    maybe thats what the recent "pointless" friendlies will have done

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    'Winning always breeds confidence so hopefully we can bring that into the Macedonia game,' said McShane, who helped to create Robbie Keane's winner against Scotland.

'I'll need my sun cream on - factor 30. It is going to be hard out there. They are tough opposition and they are always well drilled and well organised. They play with a lot of pride so it's going to be tough
    The game is on at nighttime. Should be cool enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    The only viable alternative I can think of that isn't available or already in the squad is Paddy McCarthy, and possibly Shane Duffy
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Anyone know the KO time?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Going by Trapatonni's comments after the game O'Dea is definetely playing. Interestingly he said O'Shea, Whelan and McGeady would be "stepping in". No mention of Gibson or Kilbane which suggests Andrews will start alongside Whelan and possibly Ward to start at left back.
    Not a fan of O'Dea to be honest and McShane outplayed him against Scotland.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    8.30 according to RTE and Sky. Anyone know the TV coverage situation in the UK?
    Last edited by boovidge; 31/05/2011 at 3:29 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    9.30pm local time according to the Uefa site

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Today in the hotel. Stone Bridge in Skopje, the coach of the A-national team of Macedonia, Mirsad Jonuzi polling started the first qualifying duel against the Republic of Ireland. The regular term appeared most of the players with the exception of Pandev and Popov arriving tomorrow, and Naumovski, Shumulikoski and Novevski join ekspedi-tion today in Ohrid. The afternoon of Biljana sources is the first scheduled training. Due to injury Jonuz release from obligations Fetai and his place is called Dusan Savic Pahtakor of the crew.

Press conference with the coach and captain Jonuz Pandev is scheduled for Wednesday in the hotel. Inex Gorica Ohrid at 12.30h. The expedition returns from Ohrid on Friday in 20h.and will hold training on Saturday at 10am. National Arena Philip II. The Irish squad will train on Friday (03.Juni) at 18h. by Philip II. "coach Giovanni Trapattoni will hold a press conference on" Philip II "starting at 17h.
    Source.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    That's rubbish. He has given plenty of game time to all of the above, plus Ciaran Clark and Damien Delaney. None has passed the audition, bar maybe O'Dea against Macedonia - when it counted - and, in my opinion, Delaney. Ward was OK, but had some potentially costly lapses.

Of all the options we have in any of the defensive positions I think they have virtually all been tried. Wilson was asked to come over but for whatever reason didfn't / couldn't come. Coleman might have been given a run at FB but most people wanted him tested at RM. Cunningham was tried, did well, but broke his leg.

Our defensive options have all been tried, it's just that without Dunne and Sledge, they're not wholly convincing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    8.30 accordig to RTE and Sky. Anyone know the TV coverage situation in the UK?
    SKY Sports 1 I think.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Excellent. It also doesn't clash with the English game so I shouldn't have to fight to get somewhere to show it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    You know what, we might not think the very best of McShane or O'Dea but arent their comments, enthusiasm and commitment refreshing and nice to hear in comparison to the rubbish we had to deal with due to certain other players last week.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    In tricky situations involving the Irish team I always ask myself 'what would Jack (Charlton) do?'.

Jack had a knack of putting people into positions they weren't really used to (McGrath in midfield, Aldridge as a one size fits all midfielder/striker) and getting the best out of them. It's clear that Trap has to improvise at the center back position. He should go with John O'Shea and Keith Andrews. There are quite a few replacements ready to take Andrews's place in midfield (Gibson, Whelan, Fahey). It's not the ideal situation we all know but is there anyone on this board who would put their life savings on us not conceding with O'Dea and McShane in the back four?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-2660616.html

Fanning always writes about the inevitable doomsday scenario, just so he can say i told you so. He is always trying to find problems or causes of problems, that a lot of the time aren't even there.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    In tricky situations involving the Irish team I always ask myself 'what would Jack (Charlton) do?'.

Jack had a knack of putting people into positions they weren't really used to (McGrath in midfield, Aldridge as a one size fits all midfielder/striker) and getting the best out of them. It's clear that Trap has to improvise at the center back position. He should go with John O'Shea and Keith Andrews. There are quite a few replacements ready to take Andrews's place in midfield (Gibson, Whelan, Fahey). It's not the ideal situation we all know but is there anyone on this board who would put their life savings on us not conceding with O'Dea and McShane in the back four?
    Not a bad idea at all but I just can't see Trapatonni trying it. Especially in a competitive away game like this. Going by whats being said by Trap and Tardelli it certainly seems that the back four to start will be the four you mentioned Mark. My main concern with McShane is his lunging into tackles in his own box. Usually tackles that he dosen't even need to make. When Dunne got outpaced in the home game he composed himself enough not to give away a peno. McShane would have dived in. Thats my main worry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    So, predictions?
    I'll say we go up 2-0 right quick and end up drawing 3-3 in a crazy game.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    We'll win by the odd one. Keano to score ca. the 60th min and we hold on with a few hairy moments and a free kick in the 91st minute from them.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    2-1 to us again. They score first, we stage a comeback and suffer a nailbiting finish that sees us retreat so far that Shay is caught offside at one point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    With Gibbo out, it narrows down the options again; based on what's been said so far.....

---------------------Given-------------------

Foley/McShane----Josh-----O'Dea----KK/Ward

McGeady----Whelan--------Andrews-----Hunt

-------------Keane--------Long--------------

Forde, Kelly/Foley/Kilbane, Fahey, Treacy, Cox, Lawrence

At this stage can't see him dropping Kilbane, nor can I see him picking Foley ahead of McShane, given Foley didn't start either match at right back.

I think we'll win. I think we'll concede. I think Robbie will score. I think McGeady will be our main attacking outlet. I think McShane will mess up. I think Armenia will take a point in Russia.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast