Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: History/Current Affairs books thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

History/Current Affairs books thread.

Might be a good one to get going like the football books one elsewhere on the forum??

I'll get the ball rolling with four I've been busily ploughing through:

Bloody good read and a real eye opener especially for someone like me who apparently has some tight lipped Sticks knocking around the family. Very, very interesting.

Pretty essential stuff for anyone who's into the middle east, the likes of Fisk are getting rarer and rarer unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Hitchens can be a bit of a prig but it's a good read to bring on a flight or whatever.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Attachment 1762

A reasonably short reassessment of the relationship between the two jurisdictions on the island in the inter-war period. It's provocative in looking at some of the shibboleths of unionism and nationalism. While it’s well researched, at times it reads almost like a philosophical mediation on a troubled history rather than a historical treatise. Strongly recommended background reading before posting on eligibility threads...

Out of print, unfortunately, but second hand copies are floating around.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Have only read the second volume yet, but enjoyed Patrick Geoghegan's "Liberator" book on Daniel O'Connell - if you listen to his Sunday evening radio show, it's wriiten in similar style, in that all the academic details are present and correct, but the informality of his writing flow makes it accessible to the average reader.

Should also include "The Battle for Spain" by Anthony Beevor - not a one-nighter, but essential reading for anyone with an interest in the Spanish Civil War, also explaining the baffling array of political organisations at the time. Appropriately, the FAI prove to be the Federation of Spanish Anarchists!
    Last edited by culloty82; 25/05/2011 at 9:02 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Well said on The Battle For Spain. It's a great book. I really enjoyed it.

Another good one on the SCW is Hugh Thomas' one, I think it's called The Spanish Civil War. It's even longer than Beevor's one but there's much more detail and it is more rounded, although there's stuff in Beevor's that isn't in Thomas'.

I really enjoyed two books by Mike Dash. One was "Thugee" about the thugs in India. It is fascinating. The other one is "Batavia's Graveyard" which is about a Dutch ship that ran aground near Australia sometime in the 18th century. The story itself is unbelievable.

Not entirely sure if it falls into the category but I thought Noel Browne's autobiography was very good and gave some insight into the characters of Irish politics in the 50s and 60s.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    *Robert Fisk book*
    One of my favourite writer/journalists. I read Pity the Nation in Lebanon last year, and TGWFC just before I left and throughly enjoyed them. The latter in particular is just so unrelenting in it's grimness that it just leaved you amazed at some of the things that have gone on in the Middle East. It continually astonished me- I knew zilch about Algeria and what had happened there.

Having listened/heard him on TV/radio/Youtube and read interviews with him, he comes across a bit arrogant and somewhat cantenkerous but then I suppose these things aer earned and he's certainly done that.

This mammoth book is a good follow-on from his:

A Choice Of Enemies: America Confronts the Middle East (less than a fiver from the "24 new" link)
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Have only read the second volume yet, but enjoyed Patrick Geoghegan's "Liberator" book on Daniel O'Connell - if you listen to his Sunday evening radio show, it's wriiten in similar style, in that all the academic details are present and correct, but the informality of his writing flow makes it accessible to the average reader.
    Had him as a tutor for two years at college and he's one of the most engaging, funny, and imaginative tutors I've had. He's very much in the 'informal' mould.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 27/05/2011 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Thanks for that Superfrank. When I was young'un I worked with Mike Dash in London. Didn't know he went on to be a successful writer.

He was a mine of incredible information back then and his Books look interesting.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Eastward to Tartary and Imperial Grunts both by Robert Kaplan are very good, especially the first.

Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides is probably the best book I've read in the last 10 years. It's about the American West / Indian Wars and is well worth reading if you have any interest in that subject.

Stasiland (about the DDR secret police) is pretty good too, by Anna Funder.

Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreichis good and worth reading if you ever consider working in America
    Last edited by Closed Account 2; 28/05/2011 at 1:44 PM.