Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI support for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyleeds View Post
    Then whats ok parents, grandparents or great grand parents , at some stage it becomes unfair to someone if you go outside the country.
    Irish nationality law confers Irish nationality automatically upon the children of an Irish parent, regardless of where they are born. Those with an Irish grandparent can apply for Irish nationality by registering their birth with the Foreign Births Register in Ireland and have it recognised from the date of registration, also regardless of where they are born. FIFA's rules recognise the legitimate Irish nationality of both categories I mention and permit them to play international football for us. I would have no qualms with Irish nationality law or FIFA's rules here. On the other hand, your approach would not only be an insult to the Irish diaspora, but to Irishness itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Marino .....I consider it one country and do not recognise the north.
    Kom Igen, FCK...

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Irish nationality law confers Irish nationality automatically upon the children of an Irish parent, regardless of where they are born. Those with an Irish grandparent can apply for Irish nationality by registering their birth with the Foreign Births Register in Ireland and have it recognised from the date of registration, also regardless of where they are born. FIFA's rules recognise the legitimate Irish nationality of both categories I mention and permit them to play international football for us. I would have no qualms with Irish nationality law or FIFA's rules here. On the other hand, your approach would not only be an insult to the Irish diaspora, but to Irishness itself.
    So after a grandparent your no longer Irish? Get over yourself there is no insult to anyone or anything in my thoughts. PS what is Irishness?

Marino ...very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    So after a grandparent your no longer Irish? Get over yourself there is no insult to anyone or anything in my thoughts. PS what is Irishness?
    Not at all. I was stating I had no qualms with the current stipulations for deciding official Irish nationality. A sense of Irishness can continue from generation to generation so long as someone feels a personal affinity to their heritage. For what it's worth, official Irish nationality can also continue indeterminately so long as the correct procedures are adhered to.

Your proposed approach, had it ever been implemented, would have seen proud Irishmen like Kevin Kilbane being told by the FAI to get lost. He's been one of our most dedicated servants over the years; indeed, far more dedicated than certain individuals born on the island itself. Maybe you wouldn't have intended to cause him insult, but I've no doubt in my mind that he would have taken it as such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Not at all. I was stating I had no qualms with the current stipulations for deciding official Irish nationality. A sense of Irishness can continue from generation to generation so long as someone feels a personal affinity to their heritage. For what it's worth, official Irish nationality can also continue indeterminately so long as the correct procedures are adhered to.

Your proposed approach, had it ever been implemented, would have seen proud Irishmen like Kevin Kilbane being told by the FAI to get lost. He's been one of our most dedicated servants over the years; indeed, far more dedicated than certain individuals born on the island itself. Maybe you wouldn't have intended to cause him insult, but I've no doubt in my mind that he would have taken it as such.

I dont beleive for a second he would take insult as I am not knocking anyones Irishness. I am mearly pointing out that I would like to see an only Irish born team out, as a matter of fact I would rather see that team lose than Non Irish born players win. Roy Keane is a disgrace (even though I agree with his reasons) for screwing with the world cup team (IMO), and I dont think he should have been eligible after that but that is a personal opinion on him by me so if he wanted to take insult away with him. Lots of foreign born players have worn the shirt proudly but I think it should be Irish born only. BTW what does it say about your loyalty to your country of birth , not to want to play for them. Is that not an insult to them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    p.s The fai are a shower for sure but Im sure they would have been more polite than "get lost". My point being please dont try to make something an insult.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    Ah Jesus! It's after turning into a thread about supporters' eligibility!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    To be honest, if Norn Iron had played Mannus in goal tonight I would have been partly shouting for the Nordies. Incidentally, it would not have been 5-0 either. That's how disconnected I feel from the blow up hammers, fake red beards and the fields of Athenry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    To be honest, if Norn Iron had played Mannus in goal tonight I would have been partly shouting for the Nordies. Incidentally, it would not have been 5-0 either. That's how disconnected I feel from the blow up hammers, fake red beards and the fields of Athenry.
    Don't think any of the N. Ireland supporters would know the words to the Fields of Athenry anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Spot The Difference.

Parochialism is one thing. Nationalism is another.
    And he was talking about an interNATIONAL team...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I dont beleive for a second he would take insult as I am not knocking anyones Irishness. I am mearly pointing out that I would like to see an only Irish born team out, as a matter of fact I would rather see that team lose than Non Irish born players win.
    Hmm, telling any Irishman by birth that he isn't suitable to play for his country comes across as a wee bit insulting and ignorant to me. I mean, what are you saying to him if not, "You're not Irish enough to play for us because you weren't born in Ireland"? But we'll have to agree to disagree if you don't see it that way. I think it would be better to have the rules as they are, even if it does attract some mercenaries now and again. I'd feel much more comfortable that way rather than forbid genuinely proud Irishmen who just happened to be born abroad from representing us. It's not like we're unique internationally either in having players born outside the country representing us.

Roy Keane is a disgrace (even though I agree with his reasons) for screwing with the world cup team (IMO), and I dont think he should have been eligible after that but that is a personal opinion on him by me so if he wanted to take insult away with him. Lots of foreign born players have worn the shirt proudly but I think it should be Irish born only. BTW what does it say about your loyalty to your country of birth , not to want to play for them. Is that not an insult to them?
    Not sure where Roy Keane comes into this and I don't really want to get into a Roy Keane debate other than point out that he was sent home from the World Cup, albeit having probably left Mick in little position to do anything else. As it turned out though, his views were vindicated by the Genesis Report. I didn't express any positive feeling in the slightest towards players who don't want to play for us, mind. In fact, I don't think too highly of Stephen Ireland or, most lately, Anthony Stokes in the slightest.

p.s The fai are a shower for sure but Im sure they would have been more polite than "get lost". My point being please dont try to make something an insult.
    Well, I'll apologise if your stance is well-intentioned, but that's just the way I'd interpret it and I'd imagine many others would feel the same, especially our fans born outside of Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    I don't support the Irish senior team.

I follow the LOI - no particular club - I go to all the home European games, as I like to watch players who live & work here playing against foreign opposition (I generally can't afford to travel to away games)

I have no interest in the senior squad until there are LOI players in that team.
    Trappatoni was saying recently that it's important the country has a strong league. I'm probably biased towards the LoI which I'll admit. I think 2 or 3 LoI players should be brought in to the Irish squads. With the crowds so bad as well, more LoI supporters might be tempted to go to the games if there was some LoI players in the set-up. It'd help increase the profiles of some players and the league as well.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Hmm, telling any Irishman by birth that he isn't suitable to play for his country comes across as a wee bit insulting and ignorant to me. I mean, what are you saying to him if not, "You're not Irish enough to play for us because you weren't born in Ireland"? But we'll have to agree to disagree if you don't see it that way. I think it would be better to have the rules as they are, even if it does attract some mercenaries now and again. I'd feel much more comfortable that way rather than forbid genuinely proud Irishmen who just happened to be born abroad from representing us. It's not like we're unique internationally either in having players born outside the country representing us.

Not sure where Roy Keane comes into this and I don't really want to get into a Roy Keane debate other than point out that he was sent home from the World Cup, albeit having probably left Mick in little position to do anything else. As it turned out though, his views were vindicated by the Genesis Report. I didn't express any positive feeling in the slightest towards players who don't want to play for us, mind. In fact, I don't think too highly of Stephen Ireland or, most lately, Anthony Stokes in the slightest.

Well, I'll apologise if your stance is well-intentioned, but that's just the way I'd interpret it and I'd imagine many others would feel the same, especially our fans born outside of Ireland.

Cheers I was accepting and agreeing with your point about some home born players not respecting the honour of being picked for your country i.e Roy Keane and indeed Stephen and that many foreign ones play with all heart.

p.s im not saying he is not suitable just that I would like an all Irish born team. Again I would question why he doesnt play for his country of birth assuming he is good enough to make it.
    Last edited by harleyleeds; 24/05/2011 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Don't think any of the N. Ireland supporters would know the words to the Fields of Athenry anyway.
    I do
    Say nothin til ya hear more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    p.s im not saying he is not suitable just that I would like an all Irish born team. Again I would question why he doesnt play for his country of birth assuming he is good enough to make it.
    I'd love as many "home-grown" players in the team as possible myself as it would be indicative of great work being done at youth level by the FAI here in Ireland, but, alas, it is not yet so. Harbouring that ideal doesn't mean I'd stick them in regardless and undeservedly over an Irish player born abroad with superior ability though. As a "footballing nation", we not only export our support en masse to the detriment of our national league, we also happily offload our young talents abroad at an early age and piggyback off the youth development infrastructures in place at clubs in England. It's a shame and I'm sure that's something which we can agree upon. Essentially, it's the FAI taking the lazy way out and settling for second best when we could be developing our own players to serve our own interests; not having them developed by foreign clubs with those clubs' interests being then the obvious and primary concern.

I dunno why certain players don't wish to play for their country of birth. I believe the families of both Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy, for example, define themselves very much in Irish terms culturally. Nothing odd about that; they're very proud of their heritage. Opting for Ireland was as natural a choice for those guys as it would be for you or I had we ever been graced with such abilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    true - all the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible
    I'd love as many "home-grown" players in the team as possible myself as it would be indicative of great work being done at youth level by the FAI here in Ireland, but, alas, it is not yet so. Harbouring that ideal doesn't mean I'd stick them in regardless and undeservedly over an Irish player born abroad with superior ability though. As a "footballing nation", we not only export our support en masse to the detriment of our national league, we also happily offload our young talents abroad at an early age and piggyback off the youth development infrastructures in place at clubs in England. It's a shame and I'm sure that's something which we can agree upon. Essentially, it's the FAI taking the lazy way out and settling for second best when we could be developing our own players to serve our own interests; not having them developed by foreign clubs with those clubs' interests being then the obvious and primary concern
    Before young players go abroad, they play for non-league clubs here. Who is responsible for their development until they head over? The clubs and the FAI. Money is invested in developing those players, and their skills.

At Rovers, we have a number of foreign-born players playing for us. I don't care where they come from or where they live, as long as they give their all for my team for 90 minutes every week.

Each and every one of those players in the Irish squad is Irish by direct/indirect lineage, holds an Irish passport, is an Irish citizen, and is Irish according to the current rules. That's good enough for me.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Before young players go abroad, they play for non-league clubs here. Who is responsible for their development until they head over? The clubs and the FAI. Money is invested in developing those players, and their skills.
    I'm fully aware of this and recognise the work these clubs do. If we had the infrastructure established in Ireland where we could hold onto these players as they progress through their mid-to-late teens and develop them with our own interests and ambitions at heart, that would be preferable though, surely. That's all I was saying.

Each and every one of those players in the Irish squad is Irish by direct/indirect lineage, holds an Irish passport, is an Irish citizen, and is Irish according to the current rules. That's good enough for me.
    Wasn't disagreeing with any of that in the slightest. Happy to have them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Break the tension.
    Ole,Ole Ole Ole.......;.Ole
    Wouldnt pish on the Oirish team.No connection to me as a Dfc fan.Am i Irish?? Yes. Do i look out for Keane or Duff every weekend ? Noooooooo! And i wont die or be killed for NOT supporting them.Blow-in's,false fans,whore fans and people who live in the past !!
    The national team are not a happy bunch and ALL can see it !!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I would like to see an "only Irish born" team.
    So you wouldn't have had Paul McGrath then?

That's clearly a nonsense policy, even if I'm personally a big critic of "if he'll add to the team, pick him, even if he's got bugger all links or feelings for Ireland".
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast