Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI support for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I'd have to say though in comparison to LOI I find the atmosphere to be very boring, particularly in Croke Park. I think if we were performing better the Aviva would probably produce a decent atmosphere though, hopefully the restructuring of the ticket prices will have a positive impact too
    I find it weird reading through this thread where people say they don't support the national side. I just don't see how you can stop supporting your country. Does not compute!

However, in saying that I completely agree with Strawberry re the atmosphere in for the last few years. Bar the Italian and French games at home the atmosphere has been seriously flat at most games.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I find it weird reading through this thread where people say they don't support the national side. I just don't see how you can stop supporting your country. Does not compute!
    The fact that the Irish football team does not represent me.
    Much the same as roasters cant understand why I cheer on who ever is playing the Sligo Gah team, because it doesnt represent me.
    Even though we are constantly bombarded with ****e that the Sligo Gah team does in fact represent me or the Irish Football does represent me, I disgaree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    theres a few on the Bohs board too who dont support the Irish team or are just ambivalent towards it. Dont get why myself. International football almost always gets the blood pumping. Im Irish and im Bohs. Though if it came down to Bohs v. Ireland, it would be Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

However, in saying that I completely agree with Strawberry re the atmosphere in for the last few years. Bar the Italian and French games at home the atmosphere has been seriously flat at most games.
    I was at that and bar singin Ole Ole Ole before the game and then after goals what atmosphere was there? That was my last game becasue i thought if there isn't going to be an atmosphere at a game like that there never will so no point travelling up when i could watch it on tele with the same atmosphere at home.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I went when the LOI singing section was formed when Brian Kerr took charge, within about 3 games the FAI took tickets off us for the Brazil friendly and it all collapsed from there, don't really follow the national team since then although Ill hop on the bandwagon if they qualify for something.

Besides Landsdowne is on the other side of the city to me and the standard of some of the other national teams is much higher, I dont see why I should support the team till they are winning world cups etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I support Ireland in theory. As a football fan I want my country to do well, and get into the games when watching on tele.

I'm a barstooler though. When I was at home the cost involved just wasn't worth it. Ridiculous ticket prices plus the travel costs, staying over in dublin etc. I'd get a City season ticket for the price of one Ireland game.

Because of the cost/distance I never made the connection to the Irish team as I did with City. They're still my country, I still support them and hope they do well but it's really not the same. With City it's a community, and the whiole club was/is a major part of my life. With Ireland, they're lads playing for my country but that's about it.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    High Ticket prices and midweek games with no trains back to the likes of Longford just dont go well together.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels
    I'm no singer at club or country games, but that's not my reason for going. It's to see the team win. That's the bottom line. Atmospheres don't win leagues, improve world rankings or qualify for tournaments, results do. So a good result is worth the expense imo.

Quote Originally Posted by micls
    I support Ireland in theory. As a football fan I want my country to do well, and get into the games when watching on tele.

I'm a barstooler though. When I was at home the cost involved just wasn't worth it. Ridiculous ticket prices plus the travel costs, staying over in dublin etc. I'd get a City season ticket for the price of one Ireland game.

Because of the cost/distance I never made the connection to the Irish team as I did with City. They're still my country, I still support them and hope they do well but it's really not the same. With City it's a community, and the whiole club was/is a major part of my life. With Ireland, they're lads playing for my country but that's about it.
    Not saying you do, but some of those complaining about the distance and the cost probably have no problem with paying a few hundred Euro and set out for EPL club games 12 hours before ko every weekend, to watch them play. When we played at home in the days before Lansdowne discovered electricity, people shut businesses early and people traveled there in their thousands to watch us in front of sell-out crowds. And tickets were (relatively) expensive then too.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Doesn't mean we are any less Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post

More Irish then the team anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Who said you were any less Irish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I want them to win but don't "support" them.

There isn't the same feeling of affinity as there is with my club side.

I would go more often if I could bring the kids, get parking, and have change out of €100.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

Not saying you do, but some of those complaining about the distance and the cost probably have no problem with paying a few hundred Euro and set out for EPL club games 12 hours before ko every weekend, to watch them play.
    Really? Who? Doubt there's many on this thread anyway.
    When we played at home in the days before Lansdowne discovered electricity, people shut businesses early and people traveled there in their thousands to watch us in front of sell-out crowds. And tickets were (relatively) expensive then too.
    I'm a bit confused by this. People travel in their thousands now too, I'm ust not one of them as it's not worth the money imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs down

Somebody hit the nail on the head in that LOI fans were ****ed about by the FAI in the block-booking scheme. High prices, poor locations in ground, late posting out of tickets, cutting allocations and customer service that only Ryanair would be proud of. That was all well and good. The FAI could do that during the good times, but now that times are tough and they struggle to get crowds, people remember how they've been treated in the past. I went to the first match against Walse in Croke Park and it's the last Ireland match I've been to. To find bad seats in Croe Park is a difficult tasK, but the FAI managed it. The LOI fans was put in the back rows of the lower stand. It was like watching a football match through a letter box. I haven't been back..
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan
    Somebody hit the nail on the head in that LOI fans were ****ed about by the FAI in the block-booking scheme. High prices, poor locations in ground, late posting out of tickets, cutting allocations and customer service that only Ryanair would be proud of. That was all well and good. The FAI could do that during the good times, but now that times are tough and they struggle to get crowds, people remember how they've been treated in the past. I went to the first match against Walse in Croke Park and it's the last Ireland match I've been to. To find bad seats in Croe Park is a difficult tasK, but the FAI managed it. The LOI fans was put in the back rows of the lower stand. It was like watching a football match through a letter box. I haven't been back..
    People have no problem paying the money to the IRFU for their home internationals, (same seats, same stadium, same travel issues, more expense) as the team is relatively successful. They will be back quick when we start qualifying for tournaments again.
    Last edited by mypost; 22/05/2011 at 9:48 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    People have no problem paying the money to the IRFU for their home internationals, (same seats, same stadium, same travel issues, more expense) as the team is relatively successful. They will be back quick when we start qualifying for tournaments again.
    Not any time soon so.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    The IRFU struggled to sell tickets since the AVIVA opened. I think they have had a max of three sell out games and poor crowds barr that. They where extremely overpriced though. A lot of people ended up getting free tickets to some Ireland matches to fill up some seats. The clubs returned thousands of tickets they couldn't sell.

I agree though, make a tournament and all of a sudden everyone will want to go. That goes for every sport though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post

I agree though, make a tournament and all of a sudden everyone will want to go. That goes for every sport though.
    And it goes hand in hand with the value for money thing. People don't feel like it's value for money to pay the current ticket prices for poor games, with no atmosphere. Were we to qualify, there'd be a buzz about the games, it'd feel like more of an event and people would feel like it's more worthy of spending the money on.

It's no different to league football, we might get 2k at a run of the mill game but if there's a final at the cross the tickets would sell out in a day or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    I've been going to home games fairly solidly since I became a student. Living in Belfast at the time, it was fairly handy to head to the games, especially the Croke Park ones.

Back living in Derry now, and still get to most matches, though midweek games mean taking a half day in the afternoon and the next morning off work, so it's not ideal.
    I can fully understand why people would give it a miss though, as the costs involved are high.
    I usually drive down with 4 other Derry fans, so we share the petrol costs, but you're still talking about 55 to get to a game. It's a fair whack, especially if there's two matches on that week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of the national team but I do find myself going to most Ireland home matches (despite the fact they they are horrendous to watch, I think like when a woman gives birth she supposedly forgets the pain and thats how they can go through it again, I forget how bad Ireland are to watch and keep going) I have friends who consider themselves big big fans but rarely go to games but I suppose thats an Irish thing

When Pats lose it can ruin a weekend/week but when Ireland lose i lose no sleep over it, Would like to see them qualify for a major tournament but doesn't really bother me if they don't
    Here on a technicality.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast