Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C'mon lads - don't be so anti-English

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs up C'mon lads - don't be so anti-English

Okay, I've lived here a few years and I've gotten over the cheering whoever's playing England thing, but to see so many people gloating over what was, when you look at it, a very lucky France victory makes me....

Erm, actually, I can't help it.... IT WAS FECKIN BRILLIANT!!!

Hee hee, I danced and laughed. England do it every time, the big build up, anticipation, 'we can do it this time' attitude and then - QUEL DESASTRE

I just hope my car survives tonight, I can hear the commotion on the street already.
    Last edited by ramondo; 13/06/2004 at 10:25 PM.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Make sure, like me, you've taken the Red/Yellow/Red inside hermano!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Was it you?

Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"

Actually, my car has had a 'Come On England!' sticker on the back window from the last world cup. It was there when I bought it. Have to remember to get rid of it before collecting the owl fellah from Stansted next week. There again, I might leave it there to wind him up, tell him I support England now, heh heh...
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramondo
    Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"
    Not guilty! Did he have an ice-cream in his other hand? If so I think that was foot.ie poster Duncan Gardner. I was in Korea that night wearing green and most definitely not in the mood to go celebrating. However being half and half, it would have been a downer whatever the result that night although I wouldn't have been surrounded by such miserable faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramondo
    Actually, my car has had a 'Come On England!' sticker on the back window from the last world cup. It was there when I bought it. Have to remember to get rid of it before collecting the owl fellah from Stansted next week. There again, I might leave it there to wind him up, tell him I support England now, heh heh...
    My Brother - in - law sneaked into my car during Euro 2000 and put a tan sticker in the back. I wasn't driving round for long before I spotted it and dispatched it to the khasi. Don't want the neighbours thinking I'm an England supporter do I?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=ramondo]Ah, so it must have been you driving around Holloway Road with the Spanish flag flying from you car when they beat the Irish on penalties in 2002. I was outside The Quay (used to be the Half Moon, then Burke's) saying "would yeah look at that feckin' eejit!"

I can back up Lopez's were'nt there, he and meself would have been busy helping out Korean railway's by doing the platform information on the station tannoy when all the Irish fan's went to get on the wrong train and the poor divil driving the thing started panicking.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Sylvo, how's the head? Did you come off your doctor enforced drink fast last night and join all the good-natured beer bellies up in Cheshunt for their light-hearted riot? Conchita was saying that she thought Cheshunt was like Chandlers Cross with loads of squires sipping pimms in their mansions. So did I to be honest until you gave me a fitting description of the place as something like an English equivelent of New Jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is indeed, i heard they were a bit upset @ closing time up there and tried to trash their own country instead of someone else's, felt a bit like south Armagh round here last night with that helicopter hovering over the place for age's, got to head into tanfield i mean Enfield now, i can't wait.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Conchita was saying that she thought Cheshunt was like Chandlers Cross with loads of squires sipping pimms in their mansions. So did I to be honest until you gave me a fitting description of the place as something like an English equivelent of New Jersey.
    Ahh, Chandlers Cross. My old stamping (well, gently tiptoeing) ground. Many a good evening was spent quietly outside the Clarendon Arms watching the world go by in their Bentleys...

Cheshunt? I thought that place was just a Tesco's distibution centre.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    It is indeed, i heard they were a bit upset @ closing time up there and tried to trash their own country instead of someone else's.
    Well something good has come out of UEFA's threat to sling the c*nts out of Europe. It's not like the country couldn't do with some smashing up, especially those Northern towns that seemed to have taken the result badly - Boston? The world would have been better off if the Yanks had dropped the big one over that place instead of Hiroshima!

pbn

premiership hype

Afraid England's problem is that they give the premiership and their players too much hype. Yes, Gerrard and Lampard are great players but they are unproven at the real top level. To predict that they could out gun the likes of ZZ and vierra is foolish

Really it doesn't matter if England dont win it because like every other
    tournament it will be a case of ""We should have won it!!"""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I really was trying to be less partisan last night, wouldn't say I was supporting England, just not supporting France as much as I would usually support the English opposition.

Anyway, just like the English, I only lasted about 90 minutes, when that free kick went in I was ecstatic, serves them right for the "dive-bomber" motions and booing and jeering the French national anthem.

Beckham, Owen, watch Zidane and take notes, he had a bad game by his standards, but when he had to deliver, he did. That is world class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    ....booing and jeering the French national anthem....
    They're not the only set of fans that do it, but it winds me up enough that I chose which side I was on pretty quickly.
    I went with the intention of being neutral, didn't last as far as the kick-off.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Great defeat by England yesterday. They can hardly complain about it as had been defnding since got their goal. Set Piece Internationals?

Sheridan
    One thing that became clear yesterday was just how sh*t Switzerland (and by extension Brian's Bhoys, whom they beat home and away, remember!) are.

As for England, I won't pretend I didn't cheer when the free-kick went in, or guffaw at the penalty (because the behaviour of their own fans is even more annoying than that of Ireland's supporters; yes, such a thing is possible!), but they'll still reach the quarter finals. In fact, I firmly believe that they'll win the group. France just don't have any ideas. Henry looks knackered. They were only ever going to score from a set-piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    singing "Are you Scotland in disguise?" isn't a bad attempt at humour in fairness
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    singing "Are you Scotland in disguise?" isn't a bad attempt at humour in fairness
    Although, lest they forget, the last time the Anglos faced Scotland they lost 1-0 at home.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't want Ingerland to win but to tell the truth I couldn't cheer either (being in a pub full Ingerland fans didn't help) but also the look on Mrs O' Banton's face almost broke my heart....ahhhhhhhh.
    Spend the rest of the evening trying to console her and saying that Ingerland would probably qualify as the Swiss are crap and Croatia didn't seem much better. (do I have to see Father Wishywashy for such heretical behaviour.?!)
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Anyway, just like the English, I only lasted about 90 minutes, when that free kick went in I was ecstatic, serves them right for the "dive-bomber" motions and booing and jeering the French national anthem.
    And don't forget the flag of the UVF - yep, same UVF responsible for the Loughinisland massacre during our game against Italy ten years ago - in amongst the Libyan crosses (orange thing with Union Jack in the middle). Greatest fans in the world!! My son told me that he watched on a news report on Sunday when I was at work (claimed it was the Kids' Newsround but didn't think that was on at the weekend) that claimed the only trouble caused so far was by Spanish fans after some footage showed a Spaniard knocking over a chair after a porro too many. What's that they say about the first casualty of war?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    I didn't want Ingerland to win but to tell the truth I couldn't cheer either (being in a pub full Ingerland fans didn't help) but also the look on Mrs O' Banton's face almost broke my heart....ahhhhhhhh.
    Spend the rest of the evening trying to console her and saying that Ingerland would probably qualify as the Swiss are crap and Croatia didn't seem much better. (do I have to see Father Wishywashy for such heretical behaviour.?!)
    You're right about Croatia and Swiss being cr*p but telling you're missus that the tans are going to qualify? How could you build up her hopes like that you disgusting, mysogenist b*stard!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    You're right about Croatia and Swiss being cr*p but telling you're missus that the tans are going to qualify? How could you build up her hopes like that you disgusting, mysogenist b*stard!
    I know, but for a start she was ready to lose the plot with me as she accused me of being secretly happy (she can see straight through me) and I couldn't think of anything else to say, so a stream of drivel came out of my mouth (how unusual!) which may have included the phrase 'Ingerland should still qualify for the next stage' I understand your sentiments comrade
    However as she is Ingerland fan is it possible to bulid their hopes up any higher than they are
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast