Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: under 19 qualifiers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts

under 19 qualifiers

squad named for qualifiers in few weeks against poland, italy and ukraine. Bit of a joke that keane,mcginty and I assume harriott of sheffield utd cant be included cause of fa youth cup would it happen to the brits under 19s? No Duffy from everton or o Brien from derby or devine from villa who are all quality defenders are they injured?

Midfield looks very strong. Very light up front. Seems strange that McEleney is not in he has had good season for derry. Our german friend at st pauli didnt make cut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Republic of Ireland Under-19 squad:
    Sean McDermott (Arsenal)
    Aaron McCarey (Wolves)
    Declan Walker (Wrexham)
    Joe Shaughnessy (Aberdeen)
    Derrick Williams (Aston Villa)
    Anthony O'Connor (Blackburn Rovers)
    John Egan (Sunderland)
    Matt Doherty (Wolves)
    Kane Ferdinand (Southend United)
    John O'Sullivan (Blackburn Rovers)
    Samir Carruthers (Aston Villa)
    Jeff Hendrick (Derby County)
    Sean Murray (Watford)
    Eoin Wearen (West Ham United)
    Anthony Forde (Wolves)
    Robert Brady (Manchester United)
    Conor Murphy (Bray Wanderers)
    Connor Smith (Watford)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    "There were some difficult calls to make in choosing the squad but I feel I've got the balance right in this selection,"

Doolin's words. I do wonder what those 'difficult calls' entailed.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    squad named for qualifiers in few weeks against poland, italy and ukraine. Bit of a joke that keane,mcginty and I assume harriott of sheffield utd cant be included cause of fa youth cup would it happen to the brits under 19s? No Duffy from everton or o Brien from derby or devine from villa who are all quality defenders are they injured?
    You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English. I don't believe any of those defenders are injured - Duffy's been with King's U21s recently though, would that have anything to do with it?

Seems strange that McEleney is not in he has had good season for derry.
    Speculation, but has McEleney possibly burnt some bridges with coaches? Very skilful player who should easily be in that squad, but I fear he may have pulled out of one too many squads.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I see Kane Ferdinand is the cousin of Rio and Anton, but I'd assumed the surname came from Rio and Anton's St. Lucian father. Is Kane the son of Rio and Anton's father's brother and another Irish mother then?

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English. I don't believe any of those defenders are injured - Duffy's been with King's U21s recently though, would that have anything to do with it?
    Would I be correct in saying that Duffy is probably closer to first-team action than most of the other players there, whether it be with Everton or on loan with another club? Maybe he's the under-21s' business, if you will.

Speculation, but has McEleney possibly burnt some bridges with coaches? Very skilful player who should easily be in that squad, but I fear he may have pulled out of one too many squads.
    McEleney is in the middle of his season. Maybe the games clash with League of Ireland fixtures or something? Would Derry be obliged to release him for under-19 qualifiers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Actually, I see there's a Bray player included in the side, so my last query doesn't really stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I see Kane Ferdinand is the cousin of Rio and Anton, but I'd assumed the surname came from Rio and Anton's St. Lucian father. Is Kane the son of Rio and Anton's father's brother and another Irish mother then?
    His dad is from Dublin.
    http://www.garethmaher.com/articles/...kane-ferdinand
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Think you could be right about Doolin been unhappy with McEleney which is petty and very unprofessional on Doolins part. Maybe Duffy is on standby for senior squad in Nations cup? Williams looks like the only one who can play left back even though he is centre half for villa.

Would love to see Brady play behind a front man like he has been for utd reserves lately not out wide. Dont think that will happen though with the likes of wearen, hendrick, carruthers, murray and ferdinand been highly thought of central midfielders. Forde and o sullivan are the only wide players I think. Would be great if they qualified we have been so unlucky especially at under 17 level.

Below is squad for first stage qualifiers in Oct last lots of changes over the season

Aaron McCarey - Wolves
    Ciaran Gallagher - Finn Harps

Declan Walker - Wrexham
    John Egan - Sunderland
    Anthony O'Connor - Blackburn Rovers
    Sean McGinty - Manchester United
    Mark O'Brien - Derby County
    Shane Duffy - Everton
    Carl McHugh - Reading
    Daryl Horgan - Salthill Devon
    Anton Rodgers - Chelsea
    Stephen McDonnell - Dundalk
    Jeff Hendrick - Derby County
    Liam Irwin - Bolton Wanderers
    Craig Walsh - Longford Town
    Gary Shaw - Bray Wanderers
    Robbie Brady - Manchester United
    Michael Rafter - Unattached

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Is Henderson overage now?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    He is. He is Cliffords and dorans age group from last season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Shaughnessy has just signed a new two year contract at Aberdeen.
    You will need to scroll down this site to find the relevant info.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football.../index_wk.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    You're probably right that these guys would probably be released were they English.
    There's always a battle between clubs & country in England. I'm not sure release is as automatic as you assume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    There's always a battle between clubs & country in England. I'm not sure release is as automatic as you assume.
    see Jack Wilshere just recently
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    McEleney is in the middle of his season. Maybe the games clash with League of Ireland fixtures or something? Would Derry be obliged to release him for under-19 qualifiers?
    Shane McEleney wasn't included in the original squad for a friendly double header against Cyprus a couple of months ago. He was subsequently called up but he rejected this for "personal reasons". He was then encouraged by his manager to join the squad but at this stage somebody else had taken his position in the squad. The FAI subsequently suspended him from playing for Derry for a couple of games. Maybe this episode has ruled him out for selection.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Is this lad a bit of a Stephen IReland or whats his deal? Christ if hes that difficult to manage at U19.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Is this lad a bit of a Stephen IReland or whats his deal? Christ if hes that difficult to manage at U19.
    This is the problem crazy decisions like this made by underage international managers creates. Doolin clearly wants to punish the lad and derry for what he perceives to be a slight on him for McEleney pulling out of Octobers qualifiers and then later playin for Derry. This is disgraceful on Doolins part. His role is to pick the best players for the country. He is behaving like you would at a club where you would punish a player. this is unacceptable at international underage level.

if McEleney was to switch to the north because of this Doolin would be responsible. Kerr behaved like this with Ireland at under 17 level and Givens has behaved likethis with numerous players. It has therefor become acceptable when in reality for grown men to show such a lack of professionalism in dealing with young players is dispicable. McEleney is an excellent footballer who suddenly is been painted as a rebel to soothe Doolins ego. this squad has 1 striker as smith/brady/sullivan are been used as attacking midfieldersat club level. One striker for 3 high class games in 6 days is not enough. Put away the egos and just pick the best players and if you dont like international football management Doolin go get a club job and treat players any way you like but dont ruin irish international football to prove a point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Shane McEleney wasn't included in the original squad for a friendly double header against Cyprus a couple of months ago. He was subsequently called up but he rejected this for "personal reasons". He was then encouraged by his manager to join the squad but at this stage somebody else had taken his position in the squad. The FAI subsequently suspended him from playing for Derry for a couple of games. Maybe this episode has ruled him out for selection.
    Promoting a sense of squad discipline is important, but professional man-management is also every bit as vital when managing players who are yet to mature. Any idea what McEleney's "personal reasons" might have been? Not that I necessarily want to intrude on the lad's privacy but I'd hope Doolin wouldn't just shun him now without trying to attain an understanding of the player and his reasoning.

Why do you think the suspension might have a part to play? You think he might have taken it thick? That's just part and parcel of playing for his club surely. Or are you suggesting the FAI might carry his disciplinary record over into the international domain, or at least urge Doolin to bring it into consideration when selecting squads? I would have thought that unusual unless the player was guilty of some gross misconduct or misdemeanor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Promoting a sense of squad discipline is important, but professional man-management is also every bit as vital when managing players who are yet to mature. Any idea what McEleney's "personal reasons" might have been? Not that I necessarily want to intrude on the lad's privacy but I'd hope Doolin wouldn't just shun him now without trying to attain an understanding of the player and his reasoning.
    I can only guess but suspect it's nothing more than genuine disappointment at not been included in the original squad when previously selected on a regular basis. Derry had league games at the time of the friendly games so that could also have influenced him given his subsequent call-up was on short notice.

Why do you think the suspension might have a part to play? You think he might have taken it thick? That's just part and parcel of playing for his club surely. Or are you suggesting the FAI might carry his disciplinary record over into the international domain, or at least urge Doolin to bring it into consideration when selecting squads? I would have thought that unusual unless the player was guilty of some gross misconduct or misdemeanor.
    Nah. I presume it's just Doolin thinking he isn't committed to the squad because he didn't turn up in Cyprus. Regardless he'll be missed as he's certainly a good player in the making.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Ireland loses out here ultimately unfortunately and potentially we lose a high quality footballer to the north. If McEleney was playing in England instead of Derry this would be seen as a far bigger issue. People assume he is never goin to be a senior international because he is with Derry at this age when the liklihood is he will move back to the uK in augest and "suddenly" become a player everyone wants to play for Ireland and not the north. By the way can McGinty and Keane from Utd expect their Ireland careers to now be over because Mr doolin is unhappy that they are playing in an Fa youth cup final and not in qualifiers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. There's no indication whatsoever that McEleney is even contemplating declaring for the north.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast