Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Pearce

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Alex Pearce

I haven't ever started a thread before - so here goes.
    Pearce has declared for us, is he any good?

http://greenscene.me/2011/05/alex-pe...y-for-ireland/

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Congratulations.

Can't say that I know a lot about him cos I didn't see much of reading this season. However I will now watch the playoff with even more interest. The more declarations the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    BBC article about him from a while ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletc...ohn_terry.html
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    They really don't...

I like this post though...

He's obviously seen Wilson and Hanley are ahead of him with regards to players coming through and thought, "I'm better than McShane"!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Jesus, there are some appalling posts on that forum. From calling the player a c*** to blatantly getting all their facts wrong regarding his international eligibility and the player's stance within his club side. They may not rate him on that forum, but from the looks of things, they have no idea what they're rating in the first place. I think we can judge for ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Jesus, there are some appalling posts on that forum. From calling the player a c*** to blatantly getting all their facts wrong regarding his international eligibility and the player's stance within his club side. They may not rate him on that forum, but from the looks of things, they have no idea what they're rating in the first place. I think we can judge for ourselves.
    And worse; slagging off McShane?! The nerve...

Only we're allowed to slag off our Paul!

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Interesting how the Reading fans' opinions and the Scottish fans opinions of this player differ so much.

It's worth bearing in mind that these guys spent years peddling the 'McGeady is no loss' line and are now in full flow with the 'McCarthy is no loss, sure we have Graham Dorrans' line.

They have absolutely no idea whether his is **** or not, they just hope he is.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He was on the bench for the playoff win tonight if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Meanwhile, Trapattoni has been urged to point his beloved satellite dish towards Reading this evening and check out Alex Pearce.

The highly rated defender (22) wants to prove his international potential to Trapattoni and is hoping that the Irish boss might tune into television coverage of Reading's tie with Championship leaders Southampton.

Pearce has been capped as a schoolboy by Ireland and twice at U-21s by Scotland, but he insisted: "The country I have always wanted to play for is Ireland."
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...i-2913874.html

I watched the first 60 minutes of the match, Pearce had pretty much nothing to do. Southampton were dominated in the midfield (Leigertwood does a good job breaking things up), couldn't get the ball to Lambert or Connolly, and their only chances through the first hour were on the counter...they missed Lallana.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 23/10/2011 at 5:39 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Can't find the article online, but it says in today's Independent that Trapattoni will be at Palace - Reading today to watch Pearce, with any luck McCarthy and Scannell will continue their excellent start to the season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm a season ticket holder at Reading so I've seen Pearce develop over the last few years. He's a solid enough defender at championship level - reads the game very well and is strong in the air but I don't trust him with the ball at his feet. He's prone to some terrible hoof ball but as far as defending goes he's a standard no-nonsense centre-half, always chipping in with crucial blocks, tackles and defensive headers. He's a threat from set-pieces as well.

He was absolutely fantastic last season until he got injured, our best defender by a long way and miles better than Mills who managed to get himself a £5million move to Leicester. Unfortunately he hasn't found that form this yet this season but he's certainly getting back to his best.

He could well make the step up to international football but his lack of pace is likely to be an obstacle, he's painfully slow! However, he's still ten times the player Paul McShane is (I know it doesn't take much!). I'd rate him as of similar ability to O'Dea so he could well do a job for us. Obviously not in the same league as Dunne or O'Shea, or even St Ledger, but he would be good defensive cover. We're actually in a pretty good position considering it wasn't that long ago that we had absolutely no options at centre-half other than Dunne and O'Shea.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Scored Reading's second goal today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Reading 1-0 up against West Ham. Joey O'Brien got sent off and Pearce scored from the resulting free kick.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Prize guy Pearce's Irish aim

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7415188/
    Reading defender Alex Pearce is hoping his Championship Player of the Month prize will boost his chances of winning a call-up to the Republic of Ireland squad.

Pearce was rewarded for his fine form in December by scooping the Player of the Month award ahead of Barnsleys Ricardo Vaz Te, Middlesborough midfielder Nicky Bailey and Burnleys Kieran Trippier.

The 22-year-old has established himself as one of the best young central defenders outside the Premier League and is thought to be on Giovanni Trapattoni's radar with the Republic of Ireland coach watching him on several occasions this season.

Pearce was delighted to scoop the Player of the Month award and hopes it will enhance his claims to win a call-up to Trapattoni's next squad.
    "It is always nice to get recognition like that in winning the award and it is a sign the team are doing well," Pearce told skysports.com.
    "We have been doing well recently, keeping clean sheets and I have also chipped in with a few goals which may have swayed the vote in my direction.

Dream

"It would be a dream come true for me to play for Ireland at any stage in the future and hopefully things like this award can only help me.

"I think every player wants to play international football and play at the highest level and I am no different.

"I know Mr Trapattoni has come to a few games in the past and hopefully I can get in there and show what I can do and prove myself.

"I believe Mr Trapattoni and his coaching team are aware of me and I will just keep doing what I am doing for Reading and hopefully something will happen with Ireland and they will take a chance on me."

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    The more quality players that we have competing for places the better and more options at centre back for now and the future are to be welcomed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    1 of 6 Championship players destined for the Premiership according to the Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/f...premier-league

Alex Pearce, 23, Reading

Dominant Scotland Under-21 centre-half who also makes a nuisance of himself up front. Excellent positional play and leadership qualities make up for a noticeable lack of pace for a player clearly modelling his game on a young John Terry.

23. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Scotland Under-21, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Scotland Under-21, eh?
    It's evolution, Chuck. He is 23 and Scottish then U-21 and (Bless his heart) Irish.
    But he Can't fly. And has small feet.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast