Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Official "How did Gillespie play last nite????" thread

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The Official "How did Gillespie play last nite????" thread

This needs its own thread me feels. Not trying to get away from the team mentality but it could be a decent thread as the season progresses. Fire away lads...........
    I just sit down at the typewriter & start hittin the keys, just hittin the keys. Getting them in the right order though thats the trick, thats the trick.

Garth Merenghi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Can we change the title to how did the team play last night? Cause at the moment we are doin extremely well and thats all that counts
    If god wanted us to play football in the clouds he would have put grass up there!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Yea definitely doesn't need its own thread.
    Sporting F*ck All!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    If ye dont want to recognise or take part in the thread thats fair enough lads, as i stated above in my original post im not trying to divide the team aspect. Im aware we have a Team & that we are doing well, this is covered in the usual match threads that crop up every week although more regularly this season already.
    As a poster here i have simply put up this thread as i dont get to all games due to distance etc & am interested in how our Signing De Luxe Exoticus is getting on & if he will indeed last the season etc. Im simply interested as are many others. Relax guys its the Internet.
    Anyway on that note could ye put am arm round the shoulder of the more emotional & insecure players who may read this thread & get the wrong idea. Remind them that they are in fact men & there should be no notice cast upon a button pushing Infidel.
    Now back to the topic of the actual thread & what it is created for before we get railroaded offline with 3 posts in.
    I just sit down at the typewriter & start hittin the keys, just hittin the keys. Getting them in the right order though thats the trick, thats the trick.

Garth Merenghi

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    So. How's he been doing since he joined?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    Doing ok. Nothing spectacular, but his passing and crossing has been good. Brings a lot of experience too obviously which is a help.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ive only seen him in his first game myself & he was great when he came on. Passing was excellent & there was quite a buzz around the place when he came on. His experience & the fact he may be able to help bring some of the younger lads on a bit would be great. He is 36 lest we forget so he cant work miracles. Im heading to Turners Cross on Friday & cant wait for it.

Garth Merenghi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    I saw him in action for the first time against Salthill at the weekend and wasn't overly impressed. Rarely tried to take his man on and looked to go inside to Hylo/Sammo too often or pass backwards to Nelly. He still has an outstanding burst of speed, as he showed when tracking back down the right when their left back got a headstart on him. If he showed that pace more often in the attacking third of the pitch he could be a huge asset.

I'm hoping to get to Cork on Friday night to see him again, and I'm hopeful of a more influential performance.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    I suppose he could be still building up his fitness too it was a few months since he'd played when he signed for us.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I suppose he could be still building up his fitness too it was a few months since he'd played when he signed for us.
    Think he lasted about 70 minutes or so minutes V salthill which I think is about the longest hes been on the field so far, although our wingers rarely play the full 90 anyway tony seems to like to play 4 most games

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    I think he is still building up his fitness to be fair but when he hits full fitness if he dosnt do much more than hes doing now I'd really love to see Craig Walsh brought in.
    Walsh wont be round much longer and the likes of Cardiff City dont come looking if your not good enough so I think it would be wrong for Gillespie to keep him out of the team just because of who he is.

Another possibility weve discussed on here is moving Gillespie into CM but who would you drop Hylo or Salmon?
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I think he is still building up his fitness to be fair but when he hits full fitness if he dosnt do much more than hes doing now I'd really love to see Craig Walsh brought in.
    Walsh wont be round much longer and the likes of Cardiff City dont come looking if your not good enough so I think it would be wrong for Gillespie to keep him out of the team just because of who he is.

Another possibility weve discussed on here is moving Gillespie into CM but who would you drop Hylo or Salmon?
    Hylo did feck all v salthill really, walsh was much better in there when he came on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Hylo did feck all v salthill really, walsh was much better in there when he came on
    Hylo is always an unsung hero for the Town he never pulls out of a challenge. The reason he did nothing VS Salthill is because hes a holding midfielder and he didnt have to do do any holding VS Salthill as they never went forward thats why I thought TC's decision to replace him was top class. Walsh set up the 2nd goal and IMO hes the best set piece taker we have...... yes better than Gillespie!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Yeah agree with Outspoken, Hyland has been one of our most consistent players last and this season. I think himself and Salmon have a great partnership in the middle although I'd like to see Walsh in there too.....so where and how can you fit him in?!! Was a good decision by Cousins at weekend to replace Hyland with Walsh but I feel we'll need Hyland in the middle against Cork. Don't think Walsh would be suited to play out wide. Gillespie is still building up his fitness so would be unfair to rate him just yet although it will be interesting to see how he performs against the divisions two top teams in the next two weeks. Overall delighted with start to the season.....better than I expected!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Wasn't at the game last night but heard he had another uneventful evening so it will be interesting to see how the week off effects him. It could be a great break for him or it could be a hinderance in his attepmt to build up full match fitness.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Wasn't at the game last night but heard he had another uneventful evening so it will be interesting to see how the week off effects him. It could be a great break for him or it could be a hinderance in his attepmt to build up full match fitness.
    Gillespie was grand last night even if he was taken off on the hour. He made one screw up when he went dribbling across the pitch & ended up going backward & giving the ball away.People expect miracles & we know that wont happen. He tracked back very well last night & was constantly encouraging the team & talking to them. There is no lack of effort from him. Id like to know how him & D
    eans get on as both do most of the talking. Were on a great run at present & he has been doing his bit linking up & setting guys free down the wings etc. One of the Cork papers slagged him off for getting subbed but you
    wouldnt expect
    anything else from the County of the Mouth. People need to get off his back cos he isnt doing anything wrong or doing any worse than most players on our team.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    i dont know what people expect from him, he has come in and fitted right into the team? he is not going to be running a marathon every game, gallopin by opposition and skinnin players on a regular basis, he is holding the ball, not giving away possession and letting other players get into advanced positions where they can do the damage? its working out perfectly! he is talking other players through situations and generally being a good influence on the pitch? we are on a great run and playing good football, everyone who is part of it deserves credit.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Just thought I'd mention that Keith played in a charity match yesterday in Dalymount, it was a john aldridge 11 vs a local selection or something anyway aldridges team won 7-1

And on Gillespies performance against Shels I thought he had a good game in the center of the park, he played almost a holding roll, just got the ball down and got it moving again.

The only problem I would have with playing him in the middle is you have Hylo there already so unless the rest of the midfielders push on you have 2 players holding the midfield and it can be a bit of a waste.

I suppose its a good formation to play against the likes of Shelbourne but against the lower scale teams theres no need for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I thought he played very well in Shelbourne. He gave the ball away only once or twice and made some great passes. Very happy!
    Sporting F*ck All!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    The centre of midfield is definitely the place for Gillespie, he's been much better in there in the last 2 games than what he has shown on the wing. It's just a pity that Hylo will probably have to be left out when we've everyone fit if Cousins decides to keep playing Gillespie in the centre.

25. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast