Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI in Europe 2011

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    I'm not bothered whether we get Bosnians or not tbh. If we get them, we get them. All I'm looking for us (and by extension Pats and Sligo) are ties that are not beyond us before a ball is kicked.

If you read the thread properly you would understand the fascination with Bosnia is about the possibility of us being seeded or not, not whether we draw them in the champions league. If Borac hold on to win the Bosnian league it means we will be seeded in the draw which will see your dream of a tie thats not beyond us before a ball is kicked come true. If Borac don't win the league and the UEFA ban on Bosnia is lifted we will not be seeded and thus could end up with a very difficult tie.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Cork are definetly ahead of us, when they eventually do get promoted they will be the only realistic opposition...

Off topic, but if/when Cork get up there could be a real possibility of 4 teams from the 4 provinces being mainstays in the top 4 of the league. A real LO Ireland and not LO The Pale as can happen.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    [QUOTE=Rasputin;1482721]Cork are definetly ahead of us, when they eventually do get promoted they will be the only realistic opposition to a Shams Hegemony seeing as they are the only other club capable of pulling in 4000+ on a regular basis when in the premier.
    After that, ourselves Dundalk and Derry are all much of a muchness.
    QUOTE]

The penny finally drops. Now that wasnt that hard.
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Semi-Final 2nd leg, Braga (1) Vs. Benfica (2) tonight on 3e. Kick off 8.05pm. Important game for us.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post

I don't think any Sligo Rovers fan thinks we're as well supported as either Cork or Shams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop
    If you read the thread properly you would understand the fascination with Bosnia is about the possibility of us being seeded or not, not whether we draw them in the champions league. If Borac hold on to win the Bosnian league it means we will be seeded in the draw which will see your dream of a tie thats not beyond us before a ball is kicked come true. If Borac don't win the league and the UEFA ban on Bosnia is lifted we will not be seeded and thus could end up with a very difficult tie.
    Seeding doesn't matter either. LOI seeds have won games before and lost them. When they haven't been seeds, the same has happened. In the qualifying rounds, there are many good teams, but not unbeatable teams. We can compete with most of them.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    I don't think any Sligo Rovers fan thinks we're as well supported as either Cork or Shams.
    Not really trying to start anything or have a dig at anyone, but when Harps are going good we're as well supported as anyone out there. If we we're sitting pretty in the Premier ala Derry/Sligo/Dundalk I'd be confident we'd be pulling in over 3000 each game.
    You just have to look at us now, 2nd bottom team in the whole LOI and still averaging about 550 a game. We'll all complain, but when we're seeing the muck thats on the pitch at the minute, being hammered here and there and only scoring like 6 goals all season so far, you know you have a good loyal support right there. Give it till the end of the season when Felix and Pizza sort us out, and we'll have over 2000 in there every game.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 05/05/2011 at 7:35 PM. Reason: Additional Comment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Not really trying to start anything or have a dig at anyone, but when Harps are going good we're as well supported as anyone out there. If we we're sitting pretty in the Premier ala Derry/Sligo/Dundalk I'd be confident we'd be pulling in over 3000 each game.
    and if Pats were in the Champions League, we'd be getting 20k at each game

See we can all make up stuff that will never be proved
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Seeding doesn't matter either.
    It sorta does
    Here on a technicality.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Off topic, but if/when Cork get up there could be a real possibility of 4 teams from the 4 provinces being mainstays in the top 4 of the league. A real LO Ireland and not LO The Pale as can happen.
    Ah yes, the 4 "provincional" superpowers theory, presumably Shams, Sligo, Cork and Derry ? That between them in the last decade have won 2 League titles ? And three of them have gone bust. yep, a real League of Ireland to look forward to.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes View Post
    The New Year Fair Play update showed Ireland in fourth, 0.02 off third. The top three countries get their Fair Play winner into the UEFA Cup First Round - no draw any more. 0.02 sounds like very little, but the figure is an average, and everyone scores in and around the same score at games (around 8), so it's harder to make up than you might think.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Ah yes, the 4 "provincional" superpowers theory, presumably Shams, Sligo, Cork and Derry ? That between them in the last decade have won 2 League titles ? And three of them have gone bust. yep, a real League of Ireland to look forward to.
    Just cos your club are in the league of
    irelands version of a hospice doesnt mean you have to bring down the rest of us with our hopes and plans for the future.
    Lie back there and take a rest. Fancy a grape?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    three of them have gone bust
    I don't remember us or Sligo going bust?? We went into examinership and came out the other side which I'm sure you realise is not going bust.

On the broader point, I believe redobit was talking about what potentially could happen in the future (sadly for you, your club doesn't seem to have a very bright one to look forward to) i.e. Rovers, Cork and Derry are the three clubs with the potential to sustain high attendances and as we know high attendances drive everything else so in theory those three could become the dominating force in the league. Sligo also have huge potential but a question mark remains whether they could sustain attendances as high as the other three. I'd also add Dundalk into the mix, not much between them and Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    I don't remember us or Sligo going bust?? We went into examinership and came out the other side which I'm sure you realise is not going bust.

On the broader point, I believe redobit was talking about what potentially could happen in the future (sadly for you, your club doesn't seem to have a very bright one to look forward to) i.e. Rovers, Cork and Derry are the three clubs with the potential to sustain high attendances and as we know high attendances drive everything else so in theory those three could become the dominating force in the league. Sligo also have huge potential but a question mark remains whether they could sustain attendances as high as the other three. I'd also add Dundalk into the mix, not much between them and Sligo.
    Yep, those high attendances have done soooooo much good for Cork, Derry and shams. And where, pray tell, were your mytical hoardes when you left Milltown ? Fact is your club might still be there had the support existed. Must have got lost trying to find Tolka, Santry and Dalymount (thats why they went.... whoops, into examership) or perhaps it was another sham "boycott" ?. The fact is most LOI fans are fickle and because you are currently attracting the band wagon brigade is no guarantee on future trends.
    By all means add Dundalk into your mythical "superpowers" and remind everyone the number of League titles won in the last decade by them all combined (despite massive support base). But still ONCE the crowds start flocking in........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Ahh ya, good man yourself hoops1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaHoop View Post
    I think the difference with attendances between ourselves and Derry is marginal.
    Realistically Shams and Cork are way ahead with regaurds attendances and the whole spin off finances that can create, the only clubs I can see that would regularly pull 4000+.
    Like I said when Cork do eventually get up they are the only hope against a dark decade of hoops dominance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Its all cyclical. For years Dundalk and Derry had far bigger crowds than anyone else. Rovers have always been up there. We had aa couple of seasons in the sun. The only thing guaranteed about this league is that no one will ever dominate. In the 25 years since the premier divison was established we've had 8 different champions. All bar 2 have been relegated/demoted. Every team in the first divsion now has played in the premier (bar the newcomers wexford, mervue and Salthill)

Fans of Pats, Rovers, Bohs, Shels, Derry, Dundalk, Drogheda and Cork have at one stage or another spoke about dominating Irish football. And while some have had extended periods at the top, none have.

Rovesr have a good team, with a great base now. But they won't dominate for years and years and years. It can't happen in this league
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Im speaking with regaurds the next decade, unless the financial wheels fall off the bandwagon I cant really see any team realistically challenging them when you look at their spending power, bar maybe Cork if they get their act togethor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Yep, those high attendances have done soooooo much good for Cork, Derry and shams. And where, pray tell, were your mytical hoardes when you left Milltown ? Fact is your club might still be there had the support existed. Must have got lost trying to find Tolka, Santry and Dalymount (thats why they went.... whoops, into examership) or perhaps it was another sham "boycott" ?. The fact is most LOI fans are fickle and because you are currently attracting the band wagon brigade is no guarantee on future trends.
    By all means add Dundalk into your mythical "superpowers" and remind everyone the number of League titles won in the last decade by them all combined (despite massive support base). But still ONCE the crowds start flocking in........
    Your general assertion is correct, but think you're being more than a little disingenuous there.

Remind us how many of the previous 10 champions have, in the same time-frame, had no financial problems of their own making?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

All about the past with you isn't it and thats because Bohs have such a ****ty future to look forward to. Question for you marino, if you were a betting man what teams would you bet on winning the league over the next five years?

Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast