Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gagging Orders across the water

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts

Gagging Orders across the water

The gagging order obtained across the water stopping Imogen Thomas telling all, can that stop Irish papers from printing the name of the player involved? Would there be implications for any Irish forum if the player is named?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    what does it rhyme with?
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Don't know if there'd be a legal basis for a prosecution over here, but there's no need to test it on here in any case, as a google search will instantly tell you all you need to know.
    Though in the footballer's case I must admit I was surprised (fella who told me about it was dropping massive hints in completely the wrong direction)!
    Last edited by stann; 26/04/2011 at 6:23 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Was quite surprised to hear also, if it is him in question. A player I always admired, both on and off the field.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Ah jaysus lads spill the beans, in an obvious but not so obvious way. Or do ye just want us to guess it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Ah jaysus lads spill the beans, in an obvious but not so obvious way. Or do ye just want us to guess it?
    Try Google. I feel we're already on slightly dodgy ground discussing it here.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    A friend texted me t'other day that Imogen Thomas is an anagram of Monogamist Eh and Enigma Ho Most. Which, he reckons, describes both parties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Moved to Current Affairs. I don't see how a British gagging order can apply here, but I don't see why we should give oxygen to this kind of nonsense anyway.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    That twitter link is funny - having watched Long Way Down not surprised that Ewan McGregor did the dirty on his wife, she was a right pain on that show

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Andrew Marr outs himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    google will tell all - same nationality as the lovely Imogen.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Was quite surprised to hear also, if it is him in question. A player I always admired, both on and off the field.
    Wow. funny I had this conversation only last week about how he is a model professional and never got into any of that messing about. Funny that.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Wow. funny I had this conversation only last week about how he is a model professional and never got into any of that messing about. Funny that.
    I'd like to think that if I was a professional footballer, I'd be above all that sort of stuff as well, but I've never had the problem of an endless stream of beautiful women throwing themselves at me, so I'm not quite sure how I'd react.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The gagging order obtained across the water stopping Imogen Thomas telling all, can that stop Irish papers from printing the name of the player involved? Would there be implications for any Irish forum if the player is named?
    The gagging order wouldn't strictly apply but since most Irish papers are available north of the border, the newspaper would be assaulted by the paper's lawyers. It's a moot point though because no Irish paper would have the money to buy her story and without any proof/testimony would be subject to our own libel laws which are arguably more strict than the UK's draconian variety.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    There are some amusing stories of him and Lee Sharp getting into trouble as teenagers (picture a furious Alex Ferguson appearing on the doorstep of a house party to collect them), but I've heard nothing like that since all right.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    There are some amusing stories of him and Lee Sharp getting into trouble as teenagers (picture a furious Alex Ferguson appearing on the doorstep of a house party to collect them), but I've heard nothing like that since all right.
    Can't say I'm that shocked, tbh. Not to say he was into larging it up like some players, but he would've been out and about. Never effected his football, so not sure how that makes him a non-model pro, perhaps more a non model husband.

On the gagging orders, I'm not sure really. It's not really the fault of the family, so why should they be exposed, but at the same time the fault lies with those with their pants down. Is there really a Public Interest angle in a footballer? Probably not. Is there one with a Politician - yes, there probably is and this is where gagging orders and privacy laws fall down.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    I keep waiting for some newspaper to turn around and say "you know what, she threw herself at a married man, the brazen hussy. She'll get hers in hell", or words to that effect. Not for one minute saying she's totally to blame, but she's not innocent either. The media has a case to answer here too, would this happen as often as it does if the end result was not a nice pay off from a paper for a kiss-and-tell, but say public condemnation?

Sidebar, a friend of mine asked that, if during coverage of a game featuring a player with a superinjunction, the crowd started chanting about the alleged incident with the player and the lady in question, would the broadcaster be in violation of said superinjunction?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I keep waiting for some newspaper to turn around and say "you know what, she threw herself at a married man, the brazen hussy. She'll get hers in hell", or words to that effect. Not for one minute saying she's totally to blame, but she's not innocent either. The media has a case to answer here too, would this happen as often as it does if the end result was not a nice pay off from a paper for a kiss-and-tell, but say public condemnation?
    The media will turn around and suggest you suck their profit margin. They pay for that stuff because the public buys it. If people didn't give a crap who some footballer was shagging, it would not be published, much less paid for. In short, humanity mostly gets the papers it deserves.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    I had exactly the same conversation with my wife last week too. Being old and cynical, that makes me believe all the more that it is our unnamed friend. Can you remember the source that inspired the conversation? I can't. Yet people are holding him in high esteem just now, and not just for football reasons - which is all the more odd given the good season he's having. What better way to deflect attention than a carefully controlled media leak about just how steady and sensible and family oriented the player is? Paddy Haverford is the Man U press officer - he's a very, very shrewd operator who used to work for Prince Charles, so he knows a thing or two about managing reputations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast