Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Keane F Preston North End b.1993

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    At the age of 29, Keane is really having a break-out season - scored a brace to bring his tally to 15 in 30 games: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60005795
    By the time the next qualifiers start, it is possible that we will have four or five strikers in their late 20s/early 30s playing in The Championship and four or five in their early 20s at the same level - should Kenny continue to plan for the future or should it be purely about form at the time?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Seems too good for League One. He'd be playing in the Championship, if not the Premier League, were it not for injury.

He's technically good, and Kenny probably deserves praise for calling him up when he did.

Don't forget, Slaven, Coyne and Aldridge were all around Keane's age when they were first called up.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 22/01/2022 at 8:34 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Seems too good for League One. He'd be playing with at in the Championship, if not the Premier League, were it not for injury.

He's technically good, and Kenny probably deserves praise for calling him up when he did.

Don't forget, Slaven, Coyne and Aldridge were all around Keane's age when they were first called up.
    Absolutely - Aldo and Walters scored all their international goals past their 29th birthdays

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Wigan top of the league and have a number of games in hand over the teams below them. Himself and McClean will probably be playing in the championship next season with Wigan.

6. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    should Kenny continue to plan for the future or should it be purely about form at the time?
    No point planning for the future if our inability to score hits morale or seeding I think.

Let's use the March games (if we have any) to try new options - Keane and Hogan up there at the head of the list. We need them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    hes going well, would love to see him from the start in a friendly in the next window

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    No point planning for the future if our inability to score hits morale or seeding I think.

Let's use the March games (if we have any) to try new options - Keane and Hogan up there at the head of the list. We need them
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there - at this point three of the youngsters have been blooded in early so I think the decision should be based purely on form from now on between them and the established players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    hes going well, would love to see him from the start in a friendly in the next window
    I really like Keane. At this point in the Kenny era, Keane should be the number one option to Robinson.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I really like Keane. At this point in the Kenny era, Keane should be the number one option to Robinson.
    He should be starting over Robinson- is that what you are saying?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He should be starting over Robinson- is that what you are saying?
    Assume he means the next option to replace Robinson.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Got to confess I wondered why on earth we bothered chasing Keane as his career has been a series of false starts, set backs and disappointments, but his form this season has been pretty impressive and we’re not exactly blessed with striking talent. If he can reproduce this form in the championship he’ll begin to look like a credible option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Me too but I don’t see them as like for like in Kenny’s starting formation. Under Kenny, Robinson plays more like a 10, roaming around that final third while I see Keane more as a 9 (I might be wrong on that though, not having seen anything other than highlights of his Wigan games).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Got to confess I wondered why on earth we bothered chasing Keane as his career has been a series of false starts, set backs and disappointments, but his form this season has been pretty impressive and we’re not exactly blessed with striking talent. If he can reproduce this form in the championship he’ll begin to look like a credible option.
    McGoldrick retiring really left us without that experienced forward who could link up play and possibly make things happen. Played one game under Kenny I think it was and was the main guy behind our two best chances in the second half imo.

The Alan Browne chance where he held up the ball till more support arrived and layed it off for Stevens to push forward and pick out Browne. Then the Hourihane chance were he pussy footed the ball towards goal. McGoldrick dropped for the ball, pushed forward, and picked out Robinson's run.

If Keane can help out and take some of the pressure off Idah to be that replacement for McGoldrick then he'll be worth bringing in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Me too but I don’t see them as like for like in Kenny’s starting formation. Under Kenny, Robinson plays more like a 10, roaming around that final third while I see Keane more as a 9 (I might be wrong on that though, not having seen anything other than highlights of his Wigan games).
    Has actually played both roles for Wigan. Has moved to a more 9 role recently I think with Charlie Wykes out after his health scare when he went into cardiac arrest at training.

But when both were playing Keane was a 10 with Wykes playing as the 9, and when they played 3-5-2 Keane played even deeper with Lang playing up front with Wykes. Keane was playing the advanced midfield role to make it more 3-4-1-2.
    Last edited by JR89; 23/01/2022 at 7:57 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Has actually played both roles for Wigan. Has moved to a more 9 role recently I think with Charlie Wykes out after his health scare when he went into cardiac arrest at training.

But when both were playing Keane was a 10 with Wykes playing as the 9, and when they played 3-5-2 Keane played even deeper with Lang playing up front with Wykes. Keane was playing the advanced midfield role to make it more 3-4-1-2.
    Interesting, cheers. I like what I’ve seen of him, he just seems to know where the goal is and where to put the ball. I have a hunch he might turn out to be a bit of a find for SK.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    21st of the season for Keane, with a tap-in against Accrington - from what you lads have said, he didn't impress for Ireland, but I think he should continue to get minutes in The Nations League:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59787676

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    21st of the season for Keane, with a tap-in against Accrington - from what you lads have said, he didn't impress for Ireland, but I think he should continue to get minutes in The Nations League:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59787676
    More than minutes. Keane and Hogan have scored 31 Championship/League 1 goals this season. Like it or not - that is now our judgement standard and Keane is killing it. If either were favourite sons of Dublin or Cork or Knocknagoshel they would be walk-up starts.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 06/04/2022 at 11:40 AM. Reason: small edit

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    As far as this Ireland supporter is concerned, Will Keane has an awful lot to offer us even at the ripe old age of 29.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    More than minutes. Keane and Hogan have scored 31 Championship/League 1 goals this season. Like it or not - that is now our judgement standard and Keane is killing it. If either were favourite sons of Dublin or Cork or Knocknagoshel they would be walk-up starts.
    You're saying they aren't starting because they were born in England?

Both have had chances and failed to do much with them so far, Hogan in particular. Both are still being included and Keane even got a recent start. I think he looks the more likely to fit into the system we play but Hogan will get more chances.

It's funny how quickly the conversation has gone from "why is Kenny calling this lad up?" to "why isn't he starting him every game!?". Maybe that's not what you're saying but there's been quite a shift in sentiment. There's only really one slot up for grabs up front at the minute anyway. You'd hardly drop Robinson or Ogbene?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Robinson isn't undroppable in fairness. He was quiet in the two March games (thought he was quite disappointing against Lithuania in particular) and while he's built up a lot of credit in the bank with those six goals in the autumn, if he was as quiet again in June, you'd consider looking at other options for September.

I think there's better and more consistent players than Ogbene out there, but in all fairness to the lad he makes it bloody hard to consider replacing him. Very like James McClean in that regard.

But yeah, don't agree that if Keane/Hogan were Irish born that they would be certain starters. Keane certainly didn't do enough last month to put himself ahead of Robinson in the pecking order for example.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast