Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: John Flanagan

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    More speculation here,http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/...ppearance.html

Jon Flanagan could be heading to this summer's European Championships with the Republic of Ireland.

The right-back made a second-half cameo during Liverpool's 5-1 win over Oldham in last night's FA Cup tie and is seriously considering to switch his international allegiances.

Flanagan has featured regularly in England's youth set-up over the past year but could defect from his home land barely three months since he last answered their call.

He was initially called up to the under-19's squad in May last year but was forced to withdraw due to a calf injury before receiving a call-up for the under-21's in October.

His international bow came in a Euro 2013 qualifying win over Iceland, which England won 3-0, before being recalled for the under-19's for their 1-0 win over Denmark a month later.

Now Flanagan could put himself in contention a place in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for Euro 2012 on account having an Irish grandfather, and has been heavily monitored by the Republic.

Anfield legend John Aldridge believes that the promising right-back is more than capable of making the grade, especially ahead of the finals in Poland and the Ukraine.

"From my point of view I think it'd be a fantastic experience for him," he told the Irish Daily Star.

"The fact is we are trying to blood young players in at Ireland. Trapattoni's done a great job and he would certainly get into the squad very quickly.

"It's an area that we haven't got an awful lot of young lads that fit the bill. They've looked at young Flanno and thought he's ready-made for us. He's got good experience already playing for Liverpool and England at great levels.

"If he wants to go one step closer and do it very early in his career, this would be a great opportunity."

Flanagan, 19, is expected to leave Liverpool on loan before the transfer window closes this month to gain first-team experience after a similar deal with Leeds United fell through in November.

Aldridge, however, believes that the Childwall-born youngster could make his international debut in the months leading up to this summer's tournament if he opts for the Irish.

He added: "Trapattoni wants to build for the future. He's looking at young lads and he fits the bill.

"He would get his debut in the next few months, that's a fact, and be given a great opportunity."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Nothing on his twitter account
    https://twitter.com/jon_flan93

However he has made no tweets for the last few days.......suspicious????

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    More speculation here,http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/...ppearance.html

Jon Flanagan could be heading to this summer's European Championships with the Republic of Ireland.
    Ha! Ridiculous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I know his father and uncles very well. I asked ages ago about qualification and they were very clear that he is not eligible. His nearest connection is great grandparent. Unless his mother has a closer connection that his father did not know about (ie one of her parents is Irish and he hadn't noticed - which seems highly unlikely), he is not qualified. I'll ask again today and report back.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Just spoken to his Uncle Paul. He's definitely not eligible. The article is absolute rubbish. Wouldn't mind Jonjo Shelvey though.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I know his father and uncles very well. I asked ages ago about qualification and they were very clear that he is not eligible. His nearest connection is great grandparent. Unless his mother has a closer connection that his father did not know about (ie one of her parents is Irish and he hadn't noticed - which seems highly unlikely), he is not qualified. I'll ask again today and report back.
    It is possible to be eligible through a great grandparent if your parent had registered for citizenship before you were born...though from your other post I'd say this either isn't the case or he's just not interested.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 08/01/2012 at 3:29 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I just noticed he ended up playing for Ireland in my Football Manager 2012 - could they know something we don't!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    I just noticed he ended up playing for Ireland in my Football Manager 2012 - could they know something we don't!?
    Is it possible you or someone else changed his nationality?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Nope. I'm using the latest databases, unedited. It says he was born in Liverpool and is eligible for both England and Ireland. He did wait until 2017 before claiming for us though, after previously playing with the English U21 side. Anyway, it would be interesting to know where they get their info from. It could be a matter of assuming things due to his name.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nope. I'm using the latest databases, unedited. It says he was born in Liverpool and is eligible for both England and Ireland. He did wait until 2017 before claiming for us though, after previously playing with the English U21 side. Anyway, it would be interesting to know where they get their info from. It could be a matter of assuming things due to his name.
    World Cup 2018 here we come!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Pity about Flanagan. Oh well, I suppose we can always get someone like Kyle Naughton for the right back spot.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Pity about Flanagan. Oh well, I suppose we can always get someone like Kyle Naughton for the right back spot.
    Yeah I'm sure there must be quite a few other English & Scottish right-backs we could nab, we'll get one, just you see.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    More speculation here,[url]

Aldridge, however, believes that the Childwall-born youngster could make his international debut in the months leading up to this summer's tournament if he opts for the Irish.

He added: "Trapattoni wants to build for the future. He's looking at young lads and he fits the bill.

"He would get his debut in the next few months, that's a fact, and be given a great opportunity."
    Id disagree with Aldo here, I dont think he would get a debut in the coming months. Trap hasnt been the quickest to bring in young inexperienced lads, with perhaps the exception of Cunningham and surely if anyone deserves a try at RB its Coleman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well you have to consider that the whole thing was fabricated to begin with. He wouldn't have a hope in hell of playing a game for us in the next year even if he was eligible, because a) he's not good enough and b) there are other more talented players who have been in squads. But as long as Aldo keeps coming up with stories linking Liverpool with Ireland the paycheques will keep rolling in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Aldo might just have been playing a game of cat and mouse there.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Looks more like some reporter told him Flanagan was eligible, and did he think that the defender would be a good addition to the squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    But as long as Aldo keeps coming up with stories linking Liverpool with Ireland the paycheques will keep rolling in.
    As long as he's not singing thats OK with me.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I wonder where they get their info from? I would have though they would go to someone like FIFA
    but I expect they only hold in for the countries they are currently registered with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    So that is not actually definitive, they know about one side but not.
    Also you are assuming that his mothers husband is the father (or whatever).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Still no tweets on his account for almost a week now, despite posting almost daily before the story broke. Could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for that though, lost his login for example.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 09/01/2012 at 4:38 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast