Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John Flanagan

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Seems his account was vandalised, there are a lot of edits on it but I don't see one saying Irish.

I did find this though " He is openly gay, and in a relationship with Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Only one was to find out!! Post it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Only one was to find out!! Post it!!
    Don't think I should
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 11/04/2011 at 9:18 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I notice he was following Matt Holland on twitter - tenuous Irish link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well too late as I saw it before your edit.
    Looks like him, same ears, definitely him I'd say.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Flanagan->Liverpool = Irish somewhere along the line. Book him Danno.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Couple of lads I know in Liverpool are friendly with his uncle, Carraghers business partner incidently, they said there is no Irish connection that side, so unless his mother has some?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Presumably, the Flanagan name derives from his father's side.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    The thing about Liverpool is that while its by far the most "Irish" place in England, if not anywhere outside of Ireland, most Scouser's Irishness goes back prior to the 1950's, as most emigration to Britain after the war was to London or Birmingham. Chances are that Flanagan's family are all Irish, but it's going back a few generations.

Still remember being in a Liverpool pub in 88 surrounded by Evertonians and Liverpool fans all cheering on the boys in green. The place errupted when Razor scored to chants of "Take that you tory c@nts"!!!!

Liverpool have some cracking young players coming through like Coady, Kelly and Flanagan. Hopefully, we get in there and find out what links they might have to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    The thing about Liverpool is that while its by far the most "Irish" place in England, if not anywhere outside of Ireland, most Scouser's Irishness goes back prior to the 1950's, as most emigration to Britain after the war was to London or Birmingham. Chances are that Flanagan's family are all Irish, but it's going back a few generations.

Still remember being in a Liverpool pub in 88 surrounded by Evertonians and Liverpool fans all cheering on the boys in green. The place errupted when Razor scored to chants of "Take that you tory c@nts"!!!!

Liverpool have some cracking young players coming through like Coady, Kelly and Flanagan. Hopefully, we get in there and find out what links they might have to us.
    That is pretty much what I thought, Liverpool is probably the last place Irish would emigration to these days, he is probably 3rd, 4th or 5th generation Irish.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Wasn't Carragher eligible for Ireland?? (Runs for cover)
    Do know he was an RC & Evertonian as a child if that helps....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Never heard that for Houghton, for a second thought you meant that oaf, Ruddock!

Agree with the rest of the post, the 'most Irish' place I've been to in Britain with Ireland and Celtic.

They were mainly cheering us v. Dutch (and appreciated a mutual antipathy towards a certain 'local' team a few miles away) in '95 while Celtic and Liverpool fans always seem to have had a good bond.
    Despite them being the 'wrong' side in Liverpool, Everton being the 'Catholic' club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Wasn't Carragher eligible for Ireland?? (Runs for cover)
    Do know he was an RC & Evertonian as a child if that helps....
    I've never heard he was. Think he might be in the same bracket as the likes of Flanagan, but couldn't be sure.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Just watching liverpool v utd youth game. The only irish lad in the pool academy at the moment is the right back Rafferty who is liverpool born. The utd centre half/left full mcginty is a beast!!Colll is playing in goal for utd and Keane(Michael the less talented Irish twin!!) is on the bench

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Know the family well. THe family business are client's of our company. I asked a while ago about the Irish connections, goes back 4 generation at least. He's not one of ours alas, as he is very highly rated by Dalglish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He's not one of ours alas, as he is very highly rated by Dalglish
    I'm sure the two need not be mutually exclusive. Sure, isn't Dalglish a Celtic man?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Never heard that for Houghton, for a second thought you meant that oaf, Ruddock!

Agree with the rest of the post, the 'most Irish' place I've been to in Britain with Ireland and Celtic.

They were mainly cheering us v. Dutch (and appreciated a mutual antipathy towards a certain 'local' team a few miles away) in '95 while Celtic and Liverpool fans always seem to have had a good bond.
    Despite them being the 'wrong' side in Liverpool, Everton being the 'Catholic' club.
    It's funny, I lived in Liverpool in the 80s and used to go to both Goodison and Anfield. There used to be Celtic chants and Rangers chants in both, but have to say the Celtic chants were always considerably louder in both grounds.

My understanding though is that Everton was the original club in Merseyside and that Liverpool was a break away club that was originally owned by an orangeman. Alot of my scouse mates told me that both clubs were protestant owned, but that both drew their support mostly from the working class "Irish scally" class!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Obviously there were also the half & half hats eg. Liverpool & Celtic or R*ngers, similarly Everton & Celtic, but never the two halves of blue, AFAIK.
    Remember hearing a very small minority of Liverpool fans singing anti-Pope songs but this sentiment could well have faded away by now.

Nominally in Manchester. Utd. & City were supposed to have followed the same 'sides', but only ever seen limited evidence of this eg. unionist/R*ngers flags in with Citeh fans very occasionally over the last decade....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    The sectarian aspect to football in Liverpool is pretty much dead and buried (thankfully). I can also remember secrarian chants / booing of RoI players and the occasional paramilitary banner at LFC games in years gone by, but this was always a tiny hardcore of the city's diminishing orange community. THe historic affinity is probably reflected in the "Scouser Tommy" refrain still sung at LFC games which is based on the tune and structure of "The Sash." This of course has been balanced in more recent times by "The Fields of Anfield Rd."

There is still probably a slight religious bias to the support base of the two clubs due to historic family loyalties and the geographic concentrations of LFC and EFC fans in certain areas of NOrth Liverpool. Vauxhall. Kirkdale and Bootle would still be massively Everton supporting areas whereas Everton and Breckfield would be bastions of LFC support. Although this would reflect the area's former religious / ethnic profile there would be no concious sectarian aspect to their footballing allegiance. John Flanagan's family comes from Croxteth (the same area as Wayne Rooney) and they are diehard reds. There is probably an interesting sociological study to be conducted into how tradtional footballing loyalties based on geography and religion have been broken down in the outer city overspill areas, but I am not sufficently qualified or bothered to theorize any further.

On a completely different, unrelated and potentially irrelevant issue, if Merseyside was an independent country (which some local believe it is) they would have a pretty decent squad including players who have played for four different international teams.

Flanagan, Baines, Carragher, Warnock, Kelly, Fox, Robinson, Rodwell, Spearing, Gerrard, Nolan, Osman, Barton, Rooney Anechebe, Walters etc... Cant think of a decent goalie though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Tony Warner is the only one I can think of.

Interestingly, I came across this when I googled looking for another name:

Either way, it is surprising to note that neither Liverpool nor Everton have ever housed a Scouse-born, first-choice goalkeeper.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast