Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: How you going to vote in Citizenship Referendum?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 42.59%
  • No

23 42.59%
  • Don't Know/No Vote/Not going to Vote

8 14.81%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Referendum Vote

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Referendum Vote

Hows foot.ie gonna vote on firday...or not...?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm probably going to vote Yes, although I'm not certain yet.

The argument which was made to me over the weekend that we'll deny someone born in the country citizenship at the same time as we bend over backwards to give an eighteen year old Scot a passport because he can put a football in the net pretty much stopped me in my tracks.

I do believe that the current system needs looking at, but I'm just not sure that the alternative offered is what the country needs either.

As usual the government have done a slap up job in getting information on the vote out to the masses
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    As usual the government have done a slap up job in getting information on the vote out to the masses
    The Referendum Commission are responsible for providing information, not the government. Every member of the electorate should have this information by now.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    fair enough, then the referendum commision have done a poor job
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I really do want to vote NO because I think that everyone born in Ireland should be eligible for an Irish passport. However, the amount of people that are taking advantage of the situation means I will be voting YES. If you have a genuine desire to stay in the country and qualify for a passport then it's not going to change anything for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Got to be a no vote for me. I feel anybody born here has the right to citizenship however i don't believe in abusing the system. However I feel that this referendum is to extreme. According to the Government one of your perents has got to be resident here for 3 of the preceding 4 years. However the Referendum Commision say that one of your parents has got to be an Irish citizen as stated below:

People born in the island of Ireland after the constitutional amendment takes effect will not have a constitutional right to be Irish citizens, unless, at the time of their birth, one of their parents is an Irish citizen or is entitled to be an Irish citizen.

Therefore in affect the Government is lying as basically you have to be born to an Irish Citizen therefore anybody not (and this applies to all countries ) with an Irish parent will not be entitled to Citizenship. That to me is wrong and is why I'm voting no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    has McDowell any figures for the ampunt of Irish born children of non-national parents?

Does he ****... He's basing this referendum on anecdotal evidence and reacting to the shabby, practically rascist, tabloid journalism that forces this issue.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    However, the amount of people that are taking advantage of the situation means I will be voting YES.
    Exactly how many? Come on, tell us. Not one Yes campaigner has come up with a figure. Right wing scaremongering is all I've heard so far.

Even if there were thousands of such births every year (which there aren't) it wouldn't be a good enough reason to fundamentally change our definition of Irish citizenship.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    So far, I just haven't heard any reason for not changing it.
    So far I haven't heard any reason for changing it. Surely it's up to the proposers of the amendment to provide reasons for change and not the other way around?

KOH

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    The argument which was made to me over the weekend that we'll deny someone born in the country citizenship at the same time as we bend over backwards to give an eighteen year old Scot a passport because he can put a football in the net pretty much stopped me in my tracks.
    If he does get an Irish passport it'll be because either his mother or father is Irish and there's no other way he can get one. Don't know how exactly he qualifies to play for us but think it's his grandparents which means he won't get an Irish passport.

I've a postal vote so I've cast my vote already

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    They should have decided on what amendment will be made if there is a YES vote before the referendum.I don't want to vote YES and have some drastic legistation brought in which I don't agree with.If I've been misinformed I open to correction..
    <insert witty remark>

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    If he does get an Irish passport it'll be because either his mother or father is Irish and there's no other way he can get one. Don't know how exactly he qualifies to play for us but think it's his grandparents which means he won't get an Irish passport.
    He can have an Irish passport with Irish-born grandparents (my kids all have Irish passports) and Irish parents born abroad. You just have to have a foreign birth's certificate (around €70). This will also, so I was told by a consulate official, ensure that if my grandchildren are born outside Ireland with a foreign other parent, they too if they, or their parents wish, can have Irish citizenship.

As for the change in citizenship law, as long as residents are entitled to obtain citizenship after a reasonable period then what's the problem? This law has been in operation in Britain for 20 years and is simply bringing Ireland into line with the rest of Europe. As far as I'm concerned it merely pinpoints that a person is primarily a product of his/her parents not the bed he/she was dropped onto.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    The Govt won't admit it, but this is all because of EU pressure. It creates problems when other states attempt to deport parents with a child holding an EU passport.

It's pointless to vote no, the referendum will just be held again and again until it's a yes vote. It's called capitalist democracy.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    It wasn't that long ago that you could buy an Irish passport,wheres Albert these days anyway?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    The Govt won't admit it, but this is all because of EU pressure. It creates problems when other states attempt to deport parents with a child holding an EU passport.
    For EU, read British. It's all about the Chang Case. So all the yes voters are basically endorsing an amendment proposed by the British.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    For EU, read British. It's all about the Chang Case. So all the yes voters are basically endorsing an amendment proposed by the British.
    Chen case Macy.

Even the British Law Lords and British constitutional experts have admitted that the Chen case doesn't effect British law. This referendum is a bum steeer if ever there was one.

We are effectively doing Blair's dirty work for him while riding roughshod over the Nationalist community in the North again. Look how annoyed even the mild-mannered SDLP are over this.

KOH

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    The British have not proposed anything. I understand there has been no contact from any other EU country, because AFAIK the decision has not yet been made, the European Court of Justice has only issued its preliminary ruling (which are usually endorsed inb the decision, but not always).
    But one of the reasons given for the proposed admendment was pressure from other EU Countries!?!?!

WAR - Oops, a bit PDish of me.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So a few babies are born here and get citizenship. Big deal. It's not a problem. It's certainly not a major issue which would justify a change to our constitution. If it is a problem, someone post the figures up here. How many babies. What costs? What problem? If we can't quantify the problem, then we shouldn't be trying to solve it in this drastic manner. And any change toour most important legal document is a drastic manner.

Also, I don't like the change. It means that in future, the citizenship issue can be decided by legislation. Well, do you trust future politicians to decide something as important as this? I know I don't.

Plus, I've not seen sufficient debate on the issue to believe this issue has been fully investigated. 6 months ago, there was no sign of this on the horizon. We shouldn't be changing the constitution in such a rushed manner.

If our legislation is a problem for our beloved EU partners - that's their problem. Let them legislate their way around it. I certainly don't see why we should change our constitution to facilitate extradition of people from the UK/Fance/etc back to the misery of the third world.

PS, I'm voting "No", despite my right wing political tendencies.
    Then again, it won't matter what the result is. Knowing FF, they'll just keep re-running the referendum until we, the people, do our democratic duty and obey our political masters. Democracy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    I'm still waiting for the 15 people who say they're voting yes to give me 1 good reason why we should fundamentally change what it means to be Irish.

This is a huge issue and yet people seem to be voting yes without any rhyme or reason.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Reasons to vote No

1) Lack of information. They have no statistics about how many people this affects. Kneejerk reaction to bad immigration laws...
    2) I think this is scare mongering of the highest order from McDowell et al. Definitely LCD politics... This has to opposed.
    3) Would this referendum over ride the Good Friday agreement which guarentees people born in the 6 counties, the right to Irish citizenship
    4) Non EEA parents of an Irish child are still not eligible for Irish citizenship (apart from the naturalisation laws) so they can still be dealt with accordingly
    5) On something as serious as citizenship, do we really want politicians (of wither sides) changing the law to suit whatever policies they may be pursueing

It's not about EU pressure or doing britain's dirty work.

Why not have a referendum on whether the family should be so protected in the consitution and leave citizenship alone. It would have the same effect
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast