Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: How you going to vote in Citizenship Referendum?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 42.59%
  • No

23 42.59%
  • Don't Know/No Vote/Not going to Vote

8 14.81%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Referendum Vote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Bertie has gone on record (back in 1997) as saying more or less he's sh*t scared of such a scenario as you described. I would suggest that no other politician would be happy with it either (apart from Gerry maybe?)
    Spot on. Bertie's scared of what giving all Irish citizens a vote would mean to his party.

Pete's idea sounds alright for people living abroad. Though I think everyone in the 6 counties should have a vote regardless. I'd be nice to have at least some say over how we're governed. There's some talk of giving us Seanad seats or votes in the Presidential election.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire
    Spot on. Bertie's scared of what giving all Irish citizens a vote would mean to his party.

Pete's idea sounds alright for people living abroad. Though I think everyone in the 6 counties should have a vote regardless. I'd be nice to have at least some say over how we're governed. There's some talk of giving us Seanad seats or votes in the Presidential election.
    Bendy,you live in Donegal you plonker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvio
    I'm against these women who are settled in other European countries coming here just to give birth in order to get the passport. then head back to the UK, holland or wherever.

its an unnecessary drain on our services....
    It would seem that your education was also an unnecessary drain on our services!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    lads its fúckin close up there and i tink itll be like that for the result,jeez we'll get that soon after we voted on those €52million evoting machines....oh wait a min..............
    j'accuse!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    The US constitution would appear to be one of the worst around. Theres virtually no amendments (last one in 50's or 60's i think) to it cos is so complicated to get an Amendment before the voters - need so many states to vote for the proposal first combined with variety of majorities in federal politicial houses. Apparently thats why they saying George Bush no hope of even getting a nationwide vote on banning gay marriages over there.
    I've been watching UK History reruns of BBC's 1997 programme 'Prohibition' which was I believe the last ammendment. While the programme was very distressing - violence towards saloons, beer kegs and Jack Daniels bottles (especially from la Bigada de Roberto Jones) and people suffering from lack of drink - it was a good insight into the most stupid law ever passed. Al Capone, the Real McCoy, 'Prowler' Joe Kennedy? These are the REAL American heroes. They should bring out a set of stamps about them.
    Pete's idea sounds alright for people living abroad. Though I think everyone in the 6 counties should have a vote regardless.
    They should all have a vote, but until re-unification, I'm in favour of those that elect to be Irish citizens having a voice somewhere within the Oireachtas.

The most important justification for giving emigrants the vote, which I forgot to mention, is the financial help they gave towards the establishment and the subsequent economic stabilising of the 26C state. The whip round in the US when Dev went there and the huge ammount of remmitances sent home during a period where social security and pensions were virtually non-existent.

And whatever opinion you have, if you have the vote, f*cking use it!!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by corkharps
    Bendy,you live in Donegal you plonker!
    Just until September, mucker.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I'm voting yes, but I still would distance myself from that kind of thinking. Maternity hospitals are not dumping grounds, many non-nationals are not 'looking for an automatic Irish passport' but simply giving birth, and under no circumstances should we prevent their right to do so on the pretext that they should have had the child in their own country.
    Your wrong, my sister in law knew a Nigerian woman who told her that she was waiting till late in pregnancy then would fly to Ireland to give birth.

I'm sure the people of Ireland don't pay tax to support these freeloaders.

The liberal left have got to accept that they have been out voted 4 to 1 even though the were backed by those democrats Sinn Fein.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mr condex come home you freeloader.

See here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Mr condex come home you freeloader.

See here
    I wouldn't take much notice of a left wing rag read something the same in the Observer today Ireland unlike the UK has no colonial past.

I would not consider myself a freeloader I was born here am quite well educated and have payed my taxes for the last twenty years. This is the sort of person Ireland should welcome.

I'm not really in favour of turning Ireland into this so called multi-cultural country, it doesn't work you end up with ghettos and people living parallel lives something like nothern Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex
    I'm not really in favour of turning Ireland into this so called multi-cultural country, it doesn't work you end up with ghettos and people living parallel lives something like nothern Ireland.
    And you claim to live in London? Do you walk around with your head in a bag or something? It's wonderful living in such a thriving multicultural city. There's always something different to see and do. I'd advise everyone try it for at least a couple of years. (Especially you, Tippboy, if you're reading this thread. It'll open your eyes.) I think you're way off the mark here Condex.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex

Northern Ireland isnt multi-cultural! Its simply two religions at each others throats.

Irelands history is a history of assimailation. No one here can say thay are of Celtic, Viking, Norman, English Plantation, Hugenot or what ever stock. Thats because they have all been assimilated. You cant tell where youre ancestors come from. Yet its the most recently settled country by human beings in europe. Names might give a hint, but thats all. Tippman doesnt realise that most tipperary and Kilkenny people are descendants of English planters "who became more Irish than the Irish themselves"
    I live in Waterford or orginally Vater fjord.

having 5000 estonians or 1000 bulgarians in ireland wont turn us into a mini bulgaria or estonia. all their chidren will be irish as you or me. Is Ivania Balcik not irish?

Except for the poor native Argentian indians who could tell of which stock Argentianians are from except by their surnames.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Multi-culturalism is the sign of a nation's success, not it's failure. Blame the ghettos on the host nation not the immigrants. Don't want the failures of France and Britain? Then educate people - particularly the young - about the positive aspects to a successful economy and society that immigrants make. A strike by first and second generation immigrants in Britain would bring the country to a halt. Don't want a situation in years to come where 2G Romanians in Ireland are supporting every team that Ireland plays in football? Then take the steps to ensure that immigrants and their native born children are assimilated into the country. Thankfully, IMO the majority of the Irish youth is far more sophisticated than it's counterpart in Britain fifty years ago.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    With referendum amendment passed 4 to 1 looks like foot.ie isn't representative of the mood of the country afterall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well with a foot.ie turnout of less than 5 percent, predictions can't be made
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Perhaps the reason that the No vote was high on foot.ie is that the issue was debated on here and people were infomed. Most people that I spoke ot who voted yes seem to have very little understanding of what they voted for.

I think the people suffered from a lack of communicaiton and real public debate on this issue.

But the world goes on and I'll get over this, just like I came to terms with the passing of the Nice treaty. I'm not still bitter over that. Even though the government ignored the democratic wishes of the electorate first time round. A further nail in the coffin of democracy. Not bitter at all... Honestly.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Northern Ireland isnt multi-cultural! Its simply two religions at each others throats.
    You're as ignorant as the yanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You're as ignorant as the yanks.
    and with that sweeping generalisation you add yourself to the ranks of the ignorant
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    and with that sweeping generalisation you add yourself to the ranks of the ignorant
    Unfortunately, a yank has never proven themselves to be otherwise to me.
    Still, great craic making them think that there are snipers watching them everywhere they go around Derry.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Unfortunately, a yank has never proven themselves to be otherwise to me.
    Still, great craic making them think that there are snipers watching them everywhere they go around Derry.
    So your hatred of capitalism now extends to all who practice it? It's a wonder why the N. Ireland toursim industry doesn't do well with help like that.

Or are you aginst the tourism industry as just another capitalist ploy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamon
    So your hatred of capitalism now extends to all who practice it? It's a wonder why the N. Ireland toursim industry doesn't do well with help like that.

Or are you aginst the tourism industry as just another capitalist ploy?
    Wha?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast