Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Macedonia - Saturday, 26th March 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You can imagine that Liam was bit raw after listening to the criticism - but fair play to Dunphy he accepted to be roped back by Liam on much of it.
    Bill then went all prepared to point out that the stadium was just over half full, as if to say that proves the punters don't like the way Ireland play.
    Liam rubbished him and shouted over him saying 'thats the economy thats effecting the people who would be turning up' ' and 'many people just cant afford it'. Bill vainly tried to claim that he was asking a fair question but he had to concede, yet still as dumb as he was before he asked the question.
    Actually, despite the poor crowd (because of it?), I thought the atmosphere was pretty decent. Seems we have got rid of a lot of the bandwagoners from Croke Park.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I'd like to know this too.
    Easy. In the event that Russia's record is better than ours (likely), ours is better than Slovakia's (hopefully) and Slovakia's is better than Russia's (likely) and all three finished level, it would go on points gained in matches between teams. E.g. We draw in Russia, Slovakia draw with Russia and we draw 0-0 with Slovakia (our record vs Slovakia being better on away goals), and all teams end up on 21 points (if each team wins their other three games), Slovakia would have 6 points, Russia would have 5 and we would have 3, in head to head matches, so we would finish third.

Shorthand, we need to beat Slovakia. Draw in Macedonia + Victory over Slovakia >>>> Win in Macedonia + Draw with Slovakia.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Granted O'Dea did okay against Macedonia but I think you need to qualify that one performance in relation to what he has previously shown. We'll see how he gets on without Dunne by his side against Uruguay - hopefully he'll put in another good performance but I think he's too slow, cumbersome and technically weak for international football.
    How can you say that after Saturday's game? Pandev is one of the best strikers in Europe and O'Dea had him shackled. The Macedonian forwards shifted all their attention to Dunne after the first couple of attacks as they conceded they wouldn't get any change from him. I'm not saying Clark wouldn't have done the same (I suspect he would have been less composed, as he has a rash streak that often gets him in trouble on the pitch) but O'Dea has shown a clear ability throughout his career to raise his game against world class players. Kind of like David Healy, although I'd hope O'Dea would find the consistency to become a regular starter at a good level which Healy has never done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bit late to the action but what a super series of events on Saturday evening.

McGeady scoring his first Irish goal which must be a fairly serious monkey off his back, especially given the division of opinion amongst the Irish supporters of his overall contribution, a motm or at worst near motm performance also.

Robbie Keane scoring his 46th International goal, going a long way towards proving he is near undroppable regardless of his club situation (match fitness). Just four more to beat Sir Bobby's!!

James McCarthy's introduction, so timely as well given the non-contributions of Whelan and, in particular, Gibson. I honestly believe his involvement over the next five qualifiers is of paramount importance to our qualification hopes.

Westwood and O'Dea's performances. O'Dea has impressed me anytime I have seen him, which admittedly could be counted on one hand. I presume he must have some serious bad days too but for some reason I trust him to deliver for us if needed. Good call playing him ahead of Clark I think for this one.

Russia being held in Armenia and most importantly hanging on for the three points.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 29/03/2011 at 8:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011