Thread: MNS - 21st March 2011 - Series 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thumbs up MNS - 21st March 2011 - Series 3

www.rte.ie/mns
    mns@rte.ie

Send in any photos etc. .... and clips of Paddys Day Parade.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Send in any photos etc. .... and clips of Paddys Day Parade.
    Why? Do they still show photos? There's been none on so far and dont think they've mentioned to send any in. No fanzone section anymore.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I thought it was just because they weren't getting any because it was the start of the season.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I thought the Arselona gag was a bit lame, and paper talk after seeing it a few times needs a bit more work, its very one dimensional. It could maybee have a slide show of the newspaper headlines etc. with the interview over the top of it. It thought there was more action in it this week which was good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    is it just me,or are the match highlights getting shorter each week?...the camera work has been terrible.

and please MNS get rid of the national team discussion!...or at least confine it to the last 10minutes of the show and show a bit of first division action please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Peter Collins in his commentary on Galways match v UCD called Sean Connor ' sean Connors'. Typical !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Peter Collins in his commentary on Galways match v UCD called Sean Connor ' sean Connors'. Typical !
    Well, Seanie does have a couple of personalities.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    By far the best one made this year I thought.
    Plenty of coverage, no clueless gereatric that the barstoolers can paw themselves too and at least Mc Donnell and Gormley know what they are talking about.
    As for Dave Barry, well not as mumbling as usual but still incoherent leaps in mid sentance, hes embaressing to watch.
    I know I know the show needs a token cork person but anyone but Barry, the man cant string a sentance togethor and even worse constantly cuts over the other commentators with his dimented rantings, stick Morley on instead of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Does anybody else think they should have a 'mns extra' online where footage they take at matches is made available online??? instead of 2 mins of footage you can log on and watch 10-15 mins if footage. Personally i think the footage they do show is to quick, little or no replay's of dubious decissions etc.. and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EivissaPaul View Post
    Does anybody else think they should have a 'mns extra' online where footage they take at matches is made available online??? instead of 2 mins of footage you can log on and watch 10-15 mins if footage. Personally i think the footage they do show is to quick, little or no replay's of dubious decissions etc.. and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??
    Just post your clubs highlights here and feck MNS.Here is ours(10mins versus the MNS 3mins) including post match reaction.
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/dfc-tv-dundalk-v-bohs

PS,full credit to all at Dundalk for their excellent coverage as always.
    Last edited by bullit; 22/03/2011 at 2:39 AM. Reason: kudos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Thought the show was reasonable enough, but as said, the National team section should be either shortened or removed altogether. No need for it at all.
    The good the bad and the ugly section is grand for what it is, but must have ran at least 6/7 minutes which was ridiculous.
    If they gave every game a couple of minutes each instead of the 40 odd seconds each gets they'd be grand, still leaving time for at very minimum the goals from the first division games.
    What I fail to see is how the likes of 'Match Of The Day' on BBC, 'Football On Sunday' and 'Football League Review' on Sky Sports and these sort of shows can fit in action from 8-12 games every week easily in an hour with plenty of coverage and discussion, yet on MNS it seems a struggle to fit in 5 premier league games amongst all the sh**e they throw in along with it.
    Personally I think its time the whole "Email us at MNS@rte.ie" was put to good use with enough requests to get rid of all that bo***cks.
    If they stuck to being a dedicated LOI review show and stopped all this Soccer AM wanna-be nonsense we potentially would have a cracking show on our hands.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Thats a great idea!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Thought the show was reasonable enough, but as said, the National team section should be either shortened or removed altogether. No need for it at all.
    I really doubt it'll be a weekly thing. It'll be on in the period surrounding international games and when something topical happens i.e. James McCarthy. I think that's fair enough, although beginning the show with international stuff is completely the wrong approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Good idea. Sure at one stage last night they showed a great bit of skill, a run and shot, (in the Bray game i think it was) - the comm said something along the lines of messi being proud of that skill, and then they dont even bother showing the feckin replay!
    Dundalk 1 - "the worst team to ever play in the premier" 2 :D

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    and if air time is the issue here is a way around it.. anybody else have any ideas??
    How is airtime an issue, when they've 5 games to cover in an hour? If they stopped talking rubbish and massaging ego's of the panel they'd easily fit in decent highlights with replays. I just don't get the editorial policy of MNS - surely the big bucks is in sending the camera's to cover the matches, and then they bloody waste the resources to give time to pundits. MOTD2 would be a reasonable model for them to copy, if they want to keep the in house banter.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    That is a brilliant idea, you should definitely email them about that. It would be a brilliant feature if they did have it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    That is a brilliant idea, you should definitely email them about that. It would be a brilliant feature if they did have it.
    I think it just gives them the out to maintain the current level of highlights or even reduce them, when they should be increasing what's in the main programme.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    In fairness to RTE, the programme is called MNS - Monday Night Soccer - and not Airtricity League Soccer, so I don't have a problem with them showing international stuff, and would imagine putting it on first is to use it as a hook that non-LOI people might hang around and watch a bit of the show. Though that point may be moot if they went straight to an ad break after the international preview, I can't recall.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    In fairness to RTE, the programme is called MNS - Monday Night Soccer - and not Airtricity League Soccer,

From, www.rte.ie/mns :

Con Murphy returns for a brand new series of MNS on Monday 7 March with the best analysis and discussion from the 2011 Airtricity League of Ireland.
    Um, it's supposed to be a LOI show. Match of the Day was never called 'Premier League Highlights'

The other thing about RTÉ is right after MNS is finished they give this little advert for RTÉ being the 'home of sport' with Magners League Rugby, English Premier League, GAA, and all this craic, but don't actually mention LOI in that bit at all. Shocking really for me at least.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    One of MNS's big problems is they dont listen to their viewers in terms of getting feedback etc. They should be looking for feedback for ways to improve but instead they just ignore it or, as I've seen, give a smart arse reply to people on their facebook page. They just ignore everyone and just go with their own ideas and aren't open to suggestions.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast