Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Thanks guys, I think I got it now

Astro = non grass
    3G = non grass

therefore Astro = 3G ???????
    Whats the signal strength like in the more remote areas though?
    Good evening!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It appears that Crusaders are sufficiently happy about their 3G pitch that they want to incorporate the same again into their new proposed ground development:

The Crues are also smiling off the pitch as the £61million cash injection for local football from government moves them a step closer to realising their dream of a new stadium with Newington YC.
    A club statement read: “Crusaders and Newington are pressing ahead with our ambitious Sports, Educational and Media Village.
    “We were pleased that the project is within the Minister's thinking and anticipate a measure of government support towards the end of the 2011-15 budgetary spending round. Currently we are preparing a bid to the Belfast City Council public ‘Expression of Interest’ call, with a deadline of March 24.
    “This is an open, competitive process and our two clubs, along with our design team and financial backers will submit a strong bid, focussing on economic viability, employment, state of the art leisure facilities and, most importantly, cross-community shared space.
    “We intend that our bid will provide a ‘wow’ factor for north Belfast and the city as a whole. Thereafter, the council will deliberate on who to chose as a lead developer. In addition to the stadium and sports business park, the bid will propose a public ice-rink, an indoor arena hosting pro-basketball and a full size, 3G, GAA pitch, as well as an international standard training suite.
    “This project has been a long time in gestation, but we're at the ‘business end’ now and expect to have the opportunity to ‘raise the bar’ in terms of the quality of facilities to be provided.”
    Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...#ixzz1HSKWMmk2

A stg£61 million cash injection from government? We should apply to rejoin the UK straight away!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Crusaders initialintention was to lift the turf and take it with them. Their stadium scheme has fallen behind by at least a year so I'm not sure if that is still their intention.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    To be honest and for the attention of the the nay sayers of the artificial/astroturf/3G the reality is that surfaces like ours opens OP at time when it was never before available and the revenue streams is of a great benefit to the clubs. No club in the land is cash rich or even asset rich that they can look down their noses at this surface and say that on principle that could do without the extra revenue stream.
    In regards to payback I think before you do that you need to look at the purchase and installation of the surface only. and for the primary costs of clearing, adding in the kerbing, the tarmac thingy, installing the surround on a longer term as these will not need to be replaced when you need to replace the surface so you can factor in this cost over a longer period of time (10 yrs)
    Also in that time you can move the old surface to another location (as we will be putting our old surface into the YDC, this is open to correction) so we'll soon be able to utilise two pitches.
    Also we need to factor in the non finacial aspects of it and the promotion is does of the club to the north east area. every one of us who plays football relishes playing on the oriel surface and the effects on the body, injurywise are non existent compared to the cabbage patches i played on when i limped off with twistes ankles or shin splints
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 23/03/2011 at 8:47 PM. Reason: nah
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    The Crues are also smiling off the pitch as the £61million cash injection for local football from government moves them a step closer to realising their dream of a new stadium with Newington YC.
    Thats some cash injection if true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    So what happens to a 3G pitch when it deteriorates? If it doesn't become unsafe, and the cost wasn't too high, it could build a lot of goodwill in the community if it was donated or sold to a local club or youth group. Alternatively, it could be lifted and used as a training pitch and revenue generator. I have no idea about the practicality of moving an already-laid 3G pitch though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    To be honest and for the attention of the the nay sayers of the artificial/astroturf/3G the reality is that surfaces like ours opens OP at time when it was never before available and the revenue streams is of a great benefit to the clubs. No club in the land is cash rich or even asset rich that they can look down their noses at this surface and say that on principle that could do without the extra revenue stream.
    I definately wouldn't be a naysayer, however you can't transpose those revenue streams to every club. I'm not sure Longford would have the population base for it to get the revenue that ye have for example. A few other "rural" clubs would be the same. It has to be an individual club decision based on a realistic cost benefit analysis.

That'd all be before you get into how clubs are going to fund it in the first place - you might not have noticed but the banks are fecked, and they'll hardly see a LoI club as a good credit risk! Won't be too much Government funding either. The FAI aren't going to put money to anywhere except filling the advantage club black hole for the foreseeable, so it'd probably come down to the international organisations as mentioned previously.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    And given Longford have 3G (?) 5-a-side pitches beside the ground, would there be a need to make the main pitch 3G too?

Same could apply for Monaghan.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    And given Longford have 3G (?) 5-a-side pitches beside the ground, would there be a need to make the main pitch 3G too?
    Good old astro, none of this fancy crap!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    So what happens to a 3G pitch when it deteriorates? If it doesn't become unsafe, and the cost wasn't too high, it could build a lot of goodwill in the community if it was donated or sold to a local club or youth group. Alternatively, it could be lifted and used as a training pitch and revenue generator. I have no idea about the practicality of moving an already-laid 3G pitch though.
    The majority cost of laying the pitch i'd imagine are the ground works and foundation layers as Jinxy mentioned. When the pitch in Oriel was relayed it was only the surface layer that replaced. The surface layer itself wouldnt be much use on its own. If a local club wanted to save on a pitch installation they could maybe use a second hand surface layer but the foundation work would still be needed. The savings as such wouldn't be huge in the overall costs. In saying that we will be using our old surface in the YDC, i will actually be very interested in how it will be installed and how it will subsequently play as i doubt you will have the extensive sub layers as you do with the main pitch.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I definately wouldn't be a naysayer, however you can't transpose those revenue streams to every club. I'm not sure Longford would have the population base for it to get the revenue that ye have for example. A few other "rural" clubs would be the same. It has to be an individual club decision based on a realistic cost benefit analysis.
    To be fair, I don't think anyone here (or J Giles) suggested for a moment that this would work for every club.

I imagine the "naysayers" that Jinxy Lilywhite referred to are those who refuse to understand the basic differences between Astro and 3G or the Flat Earth folk whose thinking operates on the closed mind idea that if it is not a grass pitch its no good

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    To be fair, I don't think anyone here (or J Giles) suggested for a moment that this would work for every club.

I imagine the "naysayers" that Jinxy Lilywhite referred to are those who refuse to understand the basic differences between Astro and 3G or the Flat Earth folk whose thinking operates on the closed mind idea that if it is not a grass pitch its no good
    And ironically, many of those grass pitches are anything but flat earth!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The make up of stadia in the top two divisions in Norway:

Aalesund - Color Line Stadion - Artificial
    SK Brann - Brann Stadion - Natural
    Fredrikstad - Fredrikstad Stadion - Natural
    FK Haugesund - Haugesund stadion - Natural
    Lillestrøm SK - Åråsen stadion - Natural
    Molde FK - Aker Stadion - Natural
    Odd Grenland - Skagerak Arena - Artificial
    Rosenborg BK - Lerkendal stadion - Natural
    Sarpsborg 08 - Sarpsborg Stadion - Artificial
    Sogndal - Fosshaugane Campus - Natural
    Stabæk - Telenor Arena - Artificial
    IK Start - Sør Arena - Natural
    Strømsgodset - Marienlyst Stadion - Artificial
    Tromsø IL - Alfheim Stadion - Artificial
    Viking FK - Viking Stadion - Natural
    Vålerenga Fotball - Ullevaal Stadion - Natural

Alta - Finnmarkshallen - Artificial
    Asker Fotball - Føyka Stadion - Artificial
    Bodø/Glimt - Aspmyra Stadion - Artificial
    Bryne - Bryne Stadion - Natural
    HamKam - Briskeby Arena - Natural
    Hødd - Høddvoll Stadion - Natural
    Hønefoss - AKA Arena - Artificial
    Kongsvinger - Gjemselund Stadion - Artificial
    Løv-Ham - Varden Amfi - Artificial
    Mjøndalen - Nedre Eiker Stadion - Natural
    Nybergsund-Trysil - Nybergsund Stadion - Artificial
    Randaberg - Randaberg Stadion - Artificial
    Ranheim - DnB NOR Arena - Natural
    Sandefjord - Komplett.no Arena - Natural
    Sandnes Ulf - Sandnes Idrettspark - Natural
    Strømmen - Strømmen Stadion - Artificial
    Kom Igen, FCK...

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Norway's probably a bit different given the likes of Alta play indoors, and others are very far north (Tromso inside the Arctic Circle for example), meaning grass pitches are a practical problem as much as anything else. Not really the case here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Norway's probably a bit different given the likes of Alta play indoors, and others are very far north (Tromso inside the Arctic Circle for example), meaning grass pitches are a practical problem as much as anything else. Not really the case here.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ballybofey also inside the Arctic circle?

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    That's Bray you're thinking of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts

Same could apply for Monaghan.
    the mons have fours astro courts for 5 a side plus a full size 3g floodlight pich for rental and community programmes both are used seven days a week
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    It's no wonder Roddy went there

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Limerick will be playing their first A league game of this season on an articfical surface.

Sean Choill

I know the club have used this for training already and I think the underage teams are using it too. Will be interesting to see how they get on on the pitch because I think it is different from the 3G pitches. Have played on it before myself and its a great surface to play on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast