Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giles calls for artificial pitches in LOI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Giles calls for artificial pitches in LOI

http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/5161/
    Wonder how many clubs could afford the initial outlay?
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Initial outlay is huge but from what I can see its has been a successs for Dundalk. The pitch is in constant use, whether this for training, pitch rental (which generates income) or community sports days. Games will never be called off and the surface will remain good all year round. Also pitch maintenance would be much less than other grass pitches. I really think for football in Ireland it's very suitable, but understandably most other clubs will be turned off by the initial cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    We are getting one in the Markets Field.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    THe astro pitch we have in The Showgrounds gets loads of use and when its paid off fully will be a great money spinner for the club. Personally Id hate to be going to see my team play on an astro pitch.

One huge advantage I think the astro pitch has made to Sligo Rovers is that it shows how much of a community club we are. The pitch is so visible from the road in front of the ground and its fantastic to see a hundred kids playing away during their training camps or when the lights are on in the evenings seeing it full of lads just having a game of 6-a-side. Really has helped to bring Sligo Rovers more into the community i think.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    While pitch maintenance may be lower, don't you have to relay them after 8 years or so?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    BBC Scotland quoted the cost of the 3G artificial pitch at Oriel Park as being €300k.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/8607191.stm

While Neil Aherne in the Indo estimated the cost at €550-€600
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...r-2112604.html

Thats a massive difference to the €1.5m thats quoted in the ET article
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 15/03/2011 at 9:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    THe astro pitch we have in The Showgrounds gets loads of use.....
    I'm sure that you know that there is a huge difference between an astro pitch and the 3G FieldTurf. No astro pitch has a UEFA licence while the 3G pitch in Oriel has a Uefa 2 star certificate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Think the 1.5m quoted is in relation to the 1.2m grant that Dundalk were granted prior to the laying of the Artificial surface. It is more likely to have cost in the region of 500k, remainder of the money was spent on other ground works round Oriel (where i am not sure, but probably meeting infrastructure licensing criteria like seats in the stand, floodlighting etc). Wasnt the sale of Hiney Park to do with raising the 20% needed to draw the grant along with servicing debt at the club. Well worth the investment even if it was a horrible horrible season playing in Gortakeegan never mind the delays with the pitch and the constant spoofing from then CEO.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I'm sure that you know that there is a huge difference between an astro pitch and the 3G FieldTurf. No astro pitch has a UEFA licence while the 3G pitch in Oriel has a Uefa 2 star certificate.
    Ya, of course there is different levels of astro pitch or whatever you want to call them. For me I just cant see past the fake thing tho.

Just on the comment that Giles made. He made it with a view to improving the level of football within the league. However I thinks its fair to say the main/ only reason that any LOI club will ever put in a fake main pitch is to increase their revenue rather than to increase the level of football on view!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Ya, of course there is different levels of astro pitch or whatever you want to call them. For me I just cant see past the fake thing tho.
    Lada and Skoda cars sold well here in the 1980's because of similar limitations of vision by some car buyers. The only real similarity between Astro Turf and 3G Field Turf is that they are all weather football surfaces

If you are interested in understanding how FIFA view the development of 3G and now 4G Field Turf pitches have a look here:
    http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federa...d=1124226.html

Just on the comment that Giles made. He made it with a view to improving the level of football within the league. However I thinks its fair to say the main/ only reason that any LOI club will ever put in a fake main pitch is to increase their revenue rather than to increase the level of football on view!
    Finances are one important aspect, but it simply stands to reason that a consistent flat surface that does not suffer the vagrancies of weather, does not get cut-up or soft, nor get rutted etc gives good footballers the opportunity to play football on the ground.

Alex Williams, then of St Pats and previously at Dundalk put it very well in the BBC Scotland interview:
    That appears to be backed up by former Ayr United, Clyde, Morton and Stirling Albion forward Alex Williams, who this year moved from Dundalk to rivals St Patrick's Athletic.
    "It's probably the best artificial surface I have ever played on," said the 27-year-old.
    "You can pass the ball about well and, although some players do moan about it, I have no problem with it.
    "If you can play football then this surface is ideal."
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 15/03/2011 at 11:40 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Finances are one important aspect, but it simply stands to reason that a consistent flat surface that does not suffer the vagrancies of weather, does not get cut-up or soft, nor get rutted etc gives good footballers the opportunity to play football on the ground.
    Isn't the state of pitches one of the supposed benefits of feckin summer football?

I can see the benefits, especially where clubs are renting seperate training facilities, and where there is good demand that can be turned into rental income. But that cost benefit analysis will be different on a club by club basis.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    k500 is closer to the mark but maintanence costs is far more on an astro/3g .a pitch will mantain its 2 star status for about five years (only if it is not overused and fully mantained .so about k300 will be needed to relay new surface.
    bottom line is if you use it as a commercial venture your pitch life will deteriiorate faster also opitch will need fifa inspection every year at a cost of about k3.
    so if a club was to put one in at say a cost of k500 and assuming it had to repay that to the banks while putting away k80 a year for the replacement of the surface I dont think they club would every get ahead.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Pats are seriously looking at this.

They've been told that to stage European games a certain type of field has to be installed and then it can only be used 8 hours per week.

So the decision is do you spend more on a pitch that can only be used 8 hours a week (and therefore not be a revenue maker) but can be used in Europe...

Or forget about European football and introduce a revenue making pitch that can be used for league games.

They were talking to the company who layed Dundalk's pitch and were told that Oriel wouldn't be allowed host European games without relaying the pitch.

I think the figure mentioned was about €250k

Info was givena pre-season Q&A session with club/supporters club
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    . Well worth the investment even if it was a horrible horrible season playing in Gortakeegan never mind the delays with the pitch and the constant spoofing from then CEO.
    how long ago nesta did ye play at gortakeegan?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    They were talking to the company who layed Dundalk's pitch and were told that Oriel wouldn't be allowed host European games without relaying the pitch.
    Didn't Oriel host two games last year though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, and its been 'overused' (their word) since. They said it would fail the UEFA tests this year.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    If it fails UEFA tests later this year then, as far as I'm aware, we'll need to get a new surface in order to get a Premier licence next season. This would be the 3rd 3G surface laid at Oriel in 5 years, it cost in the region of €50,000 to lay the last one, I think the club and Field Turf split the financial burden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    The cost was split because Fieldturf had sold the pitch on the basis of it being FIFA approved , FIFA changed the standards needed. That meant that to meet the gaurantee the pitch needed relaying. As it wasnt Dundalks or Fieldturfs fault per se, the cost was split. What Dodge is saying is worrying to say the least, but I dont believe these limitations were stated prior to the pitches installation, again possibly creating some issue with gaurantees.

Think it 2004 we played out of Monaghan Martinho, but tbh those seasons between 2003 and 2006 are all blanked out.....

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I thnk dodges point is very important you can install an astro to generate revenue (which is not a sure return imo) or you can install an astro to host uefa games it cant do both.
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Yeah, and its been 'overused' (their word) since. They said it would fail the UEFA tests this year.
    Who is 'they' here? Someone from Dundalk or from the pitch supplier?

The pitch passed it's UEFA test last June - can't see how anyone could accurately predict a problem with the next test.

Sounds like a nonsense to me

23. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast