1 Post

Guess the attendance Ireland vs Jamaica

I'd say about 4,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'll go with 6,000 on the assumption that
    1. most of the irish there on saturday would have bought tickets for both.
    2. a few more people will have found out about it after missing saturday
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

only1kilbane
    14,000 at game yday surprised by that. Id say that they might get aroung 5,000

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    I'll go with 6,000

and the winner is ...................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    heard this morning that the organisers ared giving out about the irish fans not turning out to support their team . Apparently the attendance at both Irish games combined was less that that at the Nigeria -v- Jamaica game.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    attendance for the whole competition:28,000

ffs,you would have thought youd get that at one of the irish matches.

only1kilbane
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    attendance for the whole competition:28,000

ffs,you would have thought youd get that at one of the irish matches.
    yeah if it had been properly organised you prob would have. Maybe if they doing tournament again they should give proper notice of tournament we were not officially announced till a month before tournament hardly loads of notice. Over in london nobody knew about the tournament so a bit more advertising would have helped. The organisers only have themselves to blame. 25pounds a ticket for a friendly cop on !

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The whole tournament was a shambols - I was one of those unfortunate enough to pay for a trip from Ireland out to the Nigeria game: I'd have to think twice about doing something similar again.

The public transport to the Valley - which seemed to be located in London's equivalent of the Ballymount industrial estate - was poor.

Ticketmaster UK succeeded in making the FAI look almost competent: the tickets posted out didnt arrive until the day of the match. After ringing them to organise collection at the ground, we turned up at the ticket office (found after several unhelpful resquests to stewards and officials) to discover that they only had 2 tickets (rather than the 3 we found out that had been posted out to us). So, we had to buy another one for the bargain price of €37.50.

I've seen egg-chasing (rugby) pitches in January that have looked better than the one at the Valley - its lucky no-one got injured on that bog.

So, apart from all that, and the worst Irish performance I've ever seen (and I was in Basle), this Unity Cup has been a resounding success!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    heard this morning that the organisers ared giving out about the irish fans not turning out to support their team
    Thats f*cking stupid - reminds me of Homer Simpson (Lisa: "Who are you shouting at?" Homer: "The people who arent here").
    Last edited by KCFC Bohs; 03/06/2004 at 8:46 AM.
    The only way is up!

only1kilbane
    yeah the transport to the game on sat was a joke and to say you were entering ballymun would have been nice to chartlton. Ground was a right kip , tickets were overpriced , pitch was a disgrace and the players showed even slightly less bother than they did in basel which was tough.

All in all unity cup a success !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

My 2 cents

You'd thought that the FAI were the only people to take a good idea and f*ck it up.

In the organisers defence, ticket prices for an international in London were about right. I haven't been to a game in Dublin for six years but I remember paying about £20 for a ticket against Argentina. How much was the ticket for the Nigeria game in 2002?

Secondly £5 a programme. Pricey but it was for three (well two at least) games so again it's about normal.

As for Charlton, I heard a rumour that Mister Pol - eeees - man wasn't too keen on having the tournament at Loftus road with the Jamaicans and da H'Irish boyz too close to home. Anyway I got an alcholic drink for the first time in years (probably ever) at a British football ground (Reading when London Irish are playing excepted) which I heard someone tell me at my shock that this is now a common occurrence - you can't even get a drink in a Spanish football ground ffs.

As for the organisers being miffed about our attendance, it can't have been bad if we outnumbered 5 - 1 our opponents at both games. I know there's a rivalry between Jamaicans and Nigerians (which can be pretty violent in London) but the organisers should look at their own marketing of the games against the Irish - it's clear that the people thought only one game (as in previous years) was on.

And finally what about us the fans. If we are to complain about the players performance, what about ours. Saturday it was as woeful as on the pitch. Yesterday wasn't match better. Me and a few others tried to get people into a sing song but it was pointless. Too many people think they're at the opera or spend the game moaning. Wise up people!!!

I personally hope that Ireland will return to play in this or some other tournament again. I just hope that the next organisers will get their act together. Lot's of proper advertising and marketing. Early invitations and contracts sorted in January at the latest not in early May, so that fans in Ireland can snap up the cheap flights. And try to get a ground that isn't dependent on the goodwill of Naitonal Rail not to do engineering works.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    At least last night was better than sat , still a joke though , I won't have watched last nights match on tv yet I had already forked out £50 on tickets.The FAI are complaining about it yet they pocketed £200k from the orgainisers , they should of at least taken it more seriously.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Was told by Setanta that the match was on in the Black Lion Kilburn, arrived there at 8pm, it didn't even have a TV.

Then off to McGoverns plenty of people there but they were watching Fair City on RTE.

So next stop the Kingdom they were showing the game but about 3 people watching it. Can now see how this tournament had a problem with tickets, lots of fair weather supporters, you'll always see them at the big games with their Irish or Celtic shirts on.

Anyway afterwards went to a charity do in the Galtymore (didn't know Susan McCann was still alive).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex
    Was told by Setanta that the match was on in the Black Lion Kilburn, arrived there at 8pm, it didn't even have a TV.

Then off to McGoverns plenty of people there but they were watching Fair City on RTE.

So next stop the Kingdom they were showing the game but about 3 people watching it. Can now see how this tournament had a problem with tickets, lots of fair weather supporters, you'll always see them at the big games with their Irish or Celtic shirts on.

Anyway afterwards went to a charity do in the Galtymore (didn't know Susan McCann was still alive).
    not sure of the point you are making. You tried 3 different pubs to watch the game, then have a snipe at fairweather supporters...am I missing something??
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The point I'm making is that the McGverns was full of people while a 100m down the street 3 people were watching the Ireland game.

Yet come the big games the same lot will be out with their Irish/Celtic shirts on. Point made.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The point I'm making is that the McGverns was full of people while a 100m down the street 3 people were watching the Ireland game.
    Perhaps they were all at the Valley, seeing as the game was being played in the same city as said pub??

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Perhaps they were all at the Valley, seeing as the game was being played in the same city as said pub??
    They were up the road watching Fair City.
    The only reason I wasn't at the game was I'd made prior arrangements. I was there on Saturday and I'll be in Amsterdam next Saturday.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    They were up the road watching Fair City.
    The only reason I wasn't at the game was I'd made prior arrangements. I was there on Saturday and I'll be in Amsterdam next Saturday.
    fair play to ya

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    ............was anyone who said 6,155.........

im definitely not biting that worm

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The public transport to the Valley was poor
    Had there not been construction work being done on the tube there would have been no problems what so ever.Work has to be done.To compensate they had special bus services running to the truncated areas and even had announcements at the stations to inform match goers which buses to take.If that was CIE,they'd surely leave you find your own way..

Quote Originally Posted by only1Kilbane
    to say you were entering ballymun would have been nice to chartlton.
    If you thought that was bad(I personally thought it was grand) you obviously didn't get the bus to Kidbrooke ,saying that its nothing you don't see on your average Croke Park outing

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez
    Me and a few others tried to get people into a sing song but it was pointless.
    I could here numberous renditions of the Fields of Athenry and CoY Boys in Green on the radio,and Saturdays game had more singing than Lansdowne the Thursday before.Wasn't too bad IMO.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    For 6000 or so fans who turned, up the noise they made sure was alot better than at the Romania game. Didn't think much of that bloke on the loadspeaker at half time though. That Hip Hop garb, sure did confuse me
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast