Thread: Jack Grealish

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/interv...79309-Jan2014/

Grealish undecided on what country he wants to play for.

Notts County 1-5 down at home to Walsall coincidentally. *edit*

CALL HIM UP!
    Think he is raising the stakes putting pressure on O neill to elevate him to the next level and include him in senior squads before end of season once the 21s season is finished in march. Nice move young man

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    The fact that he shunned the England under-19's for the Ireland under-21's is interesting. Makes me wonder what would happen if he got a call up to the England under-21's..."you want to play at the highest level you can don't you (sic)." In this case there would be a conundrum; Ireland would have to offer him senior football to ensure we offer him the higher level. Although he states "But what I know is I do want to play for Ireland at the moment", what would happen when he had to commit to one side or the other? Playing for England under-21's competitively would be sufficient to tie him.

His words remind me of when you're sleeping with a girl and she wants commitment. But you don't want commitment. You're enjoying the sex and all but you don't want to commit so you tell her you like her and things are fine the way they are... A prettier girl comes along and your head is turned. The prettier girl could burn you and might not be as committed as you and maybe you come to realise that the first girl was the one for you.

Well, Jack, we're the average girl and we want you to commit to us. We love you, Jack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    In my opinion, it would be ridiculous calling him up to the senior squad. He's an 18 year old playing for a team engulfed in a relegation battle in League 1.

It would make more sense to call up Eunan O'Kane.

And then you have McCarthy, Gibson, Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn, Whelan, Hoolahan, Reid, Ireland, McCann, Murray and Arter playing more consistently at a higher level.

I'm not a believer in handing out call ups to people to curry favour with them, which will lead to giving them playing time in friendlies, which will lead to giving him playing time in competitive matches.

Frankly, I don't think he should be called up simply for O'Neill and Keane to take a look at him in training. There are better ways for them to spend their time, limited as it is, with players who have a justified and reasonable chance of contending for squad places in September.

The bottom line is he is probably satisfied where he is, playing for the U-21's, because he is clearly unsure where his long-term future lies.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 25/01/2014 at 8:36 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    O neill and keane are paid to make us better. Its simple you do what it takes to make us better now, next season and in the next few years. That means getting the players with the best potential on board and involved. At the moment for me there are 3 outstanding players who are eligible for us and other sides who I think at worst will be very good premiership players in the next 2-3 years and possibly may with a little luck be worldclass players. For me these players have to be fast tracked into senior squad involvement to show them they are loved by their country and to help develop them. Grealish, McLaughlin and Crowley need to be brought on board. If that means that a good professsional like mccann missesout on a squad place then Im sorry for him but that is what professional managers in all walks of life are paid to do make choices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Crowley hasn't played a senior game yet. McLaughlin has played one. Grealish has played twenty. I just don't see who it benefits fast tracking them into the senior set up. We have finally seen what Andy Reid and Hoolahan can bring to the set up. Ireland is open to a comeback. Meyler has impressed. Quinn is extremely underrated. Hendrick is one of the most highly rated players in the Championship. McCarthy just completed a 13m transfer. Gibson will be back by next September. Whelan has....... over 50 caps.

Crowley is way too young to make a decision and his heart is with England. McLaughlin may be receptive to a call up to the U-21's but sadly we have to walk on tip toes and have to wait for these players to come to us and not the other way around, regardless of whether we are entitled to. Then, said player has to make the decision of whether the inevitable death threats and anthrax packages are worth it.

As for Grealish, the lad is perfectly satisfied where he is. He doesn't have to make a decision of who he has to play for. He, England and Ireland; no-one knows if he is up to International standard yet. My interpretation of things is that he would ultimately like to play for England, in which case we could see a protracted, bureaucratic chase a la Pilkington.

I don't think there should be any choice involved in what country you play for. You should want to play for the country you identify with. If you play for England, nobody will hold it against you. There are plenty of English Ex/International footballers who are proud of their Irish roots. The country you play football for is no indicator of national pride. I think the reasons for declaring are often motivated by things other than sentiment.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who is McLaughlin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Who is McLaughlin?
    Ryan McLaughlin. He is on loan at Barnsley from Liverpool.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ah right, sorry, had a bit of a blank there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    The country you play football for is no indicator of national pride.
    Can't agree with that - for most countries it is THE indicator - I do though agree this is a reasonable conclusion watching Ireland over the last few years.

Are you a supporter who has come on board in the Stan or Trap era? If so were you previously expressing your national pride by supporting a different country?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    In my opinion, it would be ridiculous calling him up to the senior squad. He's an 18 year old playing for a team engulfed in a relegation battle in League 1.

It would make more sense to call up Eunan O'Kane.

And then you have McCarthy, Gibson, Hendrick, Meyler, Quinn, Whelan, Hoolahan, Reid, Ireland, McCann, Murray and Arter playing more consistently at a higher level.

I'm not a believer in handing out call ups to people to curry favour with them, which will lead to giving them playing time in friendlies, which will lead to giving him playing time in competitive matches.

Frankly, I don't think he should be called up simply for O'Neill and Keane to take a look at him in training. There are better ways for them to spend their time, limited as it is, with players who have a justified and reasonable chance of contending for squad places in September.

The bottom line is he is probably satisfied where he is, playing for the U-21's, because he is clearly unsure where his long-term future lies.
    I agree. I'm against the capping of young players that qualify for multiple associations to simply tie them to us. Of course if they are truly an outstanding talent then you can make an exception. I'm thinking of Joseph Lapira here.
    Last edited by youngirish; 26/01/2014 at 8:42 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The FAI seem to be doing all the right things from a soft HR management perspective. Grealish was very clear in that interview. Just giving a player a token competitive cap runs risks. The player probably isn't stupid and would see ithe call up as a cynical gesture. It'd even run the risk of a no-show with the player's club or agent pulling he strings. The last thing we need is another McCarthy saga.

The FAI should continue to stay close to the player and maybe Keane or O'Neill should seek him out for a word of encouragement. He should be called up when ready.

Of course, O'Neill and Keane being successful in the qualifiers would help a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.nottinghampost.com/Leigh-...ail/story.html

Complimentary article on Grealish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    8'
    Goal! Notts County 1, Shrewsbury Town 0. Jack Grealish (Notts County) right footed shot from very close range to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Kieran Freeman with a cross.

12'
    Penalty Notts County. Jack Grealish draws a foul in the penalty area.
    Goal! Notts County 2, Shrewsbury Town 0. Alan Sheehan (Notts County) converts the penalty with a left footed shot to the high centre of the goal.

They ended up losing 3-2 after having a man sent off at 2-1.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 22/02/2014 at 8:23 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Noel King very positive about Grealish and said he was on MON's radar for a senior call up for the Serbia game

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...re-260141.html

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Jack's brother is a regular poster on VillaTalk (not sure it's in his brother's best interests but none of my business).

Couple of points of interest..

Jack playing for England "at this moment in time is a non-starter".
    Ireland is "the foreseeable plan".
    It would be an honour to play for his "International club".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    he posts from time to time on ybig.ie as well
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Jack's brother is a regular poster on VillaTalk (not sure it's in his brother's best interests but none of my business).

Couple of points of interest..

Jack playing for England "at this moment in time is a non-starter".
    Ireland is "the foreseeable plan".
    It would be an honour to play for his "International club".
    What does that mean?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    he posts from time to time on ybig.ie as well
    He must be a real fan.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Just been reading up a bit about Jack, and what I read was rather disturbing.

The Aston Villa winger, 17, declared for Ireland three years ago but was offered the chance by the English FA earlier this year to switch to his homeland.

Ireland lost promising Manchester United defender Michael Keane to England in similar circumstances last year.

Their approach to Birmingham-born Grealish came after the winger didn’t get a minute of action for Ireland’s Under-19’s last October in three Uefa first-phase qualifiers.
    I am not sure of the full details of this but it seems we have lost some one our best prospects to England and risk losing more
    because of inept management? May be I am misunderstand what 'similar circumstances' means, but it sounds like Micheal Keane
    was also left out of the team, I could be wrong on that though.

And why was Grealish left out? Presumably we have better prospects, if so who are they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why is it inept management not to give preferential treatment to a player based on his international eligibility? Grealish is in the U21s now and is getting his game. If he goes to England, it's because he wants to, not because some manager didn't pass over another player to make him feel special. Quite frankly, if a player is that fickle, he's not likely to be much of an asset. We've had enough Stephen Irelands.

24. Thanks From:

Page 14 of 90 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast