Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: GAA and Irish Farmers' Association - could league clubs do likewise?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

GAA and Irish Farmers' Association - could league clubs do likewise?

From today’s Irish Times:

“THE IMPORTANCE of social cohesion and community support systems has never been greater. In this context, it is particularly satisfying to welcome the extension of the GAA’s rural-based initiative that invites older men to attend sports and day centres and to take an active part in community life. The combined organisational abilities and networks of the GAA and the Irish Farmers’ Association are to be harnessed to make life more enjoyable and fulfilling for those at risk of social isolation.”
    (Full article at: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...291280804.html)

Is this the kind of socially responsible activity that league clubs could be doing? Not necessarily with the IFA since the clubs are urban, but with other groups – active age, INOU, etc. Too often, clubs are seen as taking from communities (especially financially) and giving nothing back. Whatever about the truth of that perception, it strikes me that this kind of initiative could help promote clubs as useful, contributing members of their communities.

Are any clubs doing any community initiatives like this? I’d be interested (work-related) in hearing of any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    This (GAA/IFA) is potentially the most evil coalition in the history of our country. Trust me, nothing good can come of it.

Most footie clubs are in urban areas so are less likely to be involved in similar (social inclusion) activities. also most clubs simply dont have the facilities to get involved (either ground facilities or staff wise). Most clubs that have initiatives tend to be more targeted at schools/ schoolboy clubs, probobly because those involved at LOI clubs would have connections to same as much as potential future market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Marinobohs, your signature isn't too optimistic, are you planning on stopping making history this year?!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Marinobohs, your signature isn't too optimistic, are you planning on stopping making history this year?!
    Cheers, peadar 1987 (who are the other 1986 Peadars ?). Looked a bit dodgy there for a while but think it might be safe to update signature now*

* as its Bohs usual health warning(s) apply.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,271 Posts
    If you get relegated, will you still claim to have never been relagated?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    its relegated, not relagated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Whoops ! Mea culpa. You see what happens when you mess with our IFA/GAA overlords ? or it could be an indication of how unfamiliar I am with the whole relEgation thing

Would not rule out "crap speller" theory either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    Wow! Off-topic by the third post....

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Most footie clubs are in urban areas so are less likely to be involved in similar (social inclusion) activities. also most clubs simply dont have the facilities to get involved (either ground facilities or staff wise). Most clubs that have initiatives tend to be more targeted at schools/ schoolboy clubs, probobly because those involved at LOI clubs would have connections to same as much as potential future market.

I don’t buy into the idea that social inclusion is less needed in urban areas than rural areas. Remember Willie Bermingham? The broader point is that a sports organisation is linking with another organisation in a mutually beneficial scheme that also benefits society.I think that’s something league clubs, especially ones who already have broad community ties (not just football community) could do very, very well.

I once briefly worked for a lobbyist, who held that politicians have five levels of denial to new ideas: denial of means was the fourth stage. How many players at all ages does the average club have? Do people believe that a combined senior and A team panel of around 30 people plus coaching staff, a board and volunteers is not enough people to forge community links? How many towns/areas of cities don’t have community centres/halls, even if clubs don’t have their own clubhouse? It’s just couldn’t-be-arrsed-ism. No obvious and immediate benefit? Ah, sure we couldn’t do it anyway!

The GAA isn’t focussing on people who are going to flock to their games. It’s positioning itself as an organisation that has deep community links, and the resultant publicity and feel-good factor will drive other people to its games and to its clubs. That’s what league clubs should emulate.

BTW, I misread your first (mistyped) signature as “Still never regulated”. It’s either time I got new glasses, or I’ve seen the fundamental truth about our league!!

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    [QUOTE=marinobohs;1460379]This (GAA/IFA) is potentially the most evil coalition in the history of our country. Trust me, nothing good can come of it.

True. Like the Hitler/Stalin pact. Left Europe in ruins. This could be even worse.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sporting Fingal were the only club with an official community development section, The Sporting Fingal Community Trust.

SFCT was set up to run community programmes based around sports and education. I was involved on an adult retraining programme last year after loosing my job, it was 6 weeks long and it helped me get back to work.

The way theclub was run obviously was wrong but the structures they set up in the community through the trust should be the benchmark for every club in the league

14. Thanks From: